2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I thought they hired him because they had a departure last minute?

giocolleti was always known as a floor coach.   NOT a recruiter.   it was the reason he failed at utah replacing rickma.  if they didnt hire him as a game assistant, then he was a terrible hire.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I don’t think most have any clue what SLU and other mid majors are up against. Here are facts not opinions. There are 358 division 1 teams and 68 tournament bids. There are 32 automatic bids which means that leaves 336 teams vying for 36 at large bids. This year 33 of those bids went to P6 schools which left 3 spots for the remaining 269 non P6 schools which equates to a 1 in 90 chance. The system is a joke and is only getting tougher. To compound the difficulty SLU is in a conference that is trending down in the numbers of bids, yet still has 4-6 teams which are regularly competing for the top spot. You can ***** all you want about the coach, but the reality is whoever is the coach will be facing a major uphill battle. 

This is a skewed view of the NCAA Tournament bids.  Let's examine it another way. There are 68 bids, 32 are automatic bids. In basketball there's the Power 5 (ACC, B10, B12, SEC, P12) plus Big East that's 6 bids to the perceived powers.  32 - 6 = 26 bids to non power conference schools plus the 3 at large you mention so that is 29 bids to non power conference schools.  That number varies year to year. 

How many of those vying for those bids have the resources that SLU enjoy?  Not many.   How many are geographically situated in areas with ample talent? Not many. 

29 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

This is a skewed view of the NCAA Tournament bids.  Let's examine it another way. There are 68 bids, 32 are automatic bids. In basketball there's the Power 5 (ACC, B10, B12, SEC, P12) plus Big East that's 6 bids to the perceived powers.  32 - 6 = 26 bids to non power conference schools plus the 3 at large you mention so that is 29 bids to non power conference schools.  That number varies year to year. 

How many of those vying for those bids have the resources that SLU enjoy?  Not many.   How many are geographically situated in areas with ample talent? Not many. 

even using your numbers the slots available are scarce. daunting task for non power, essentially they must win tournaments or 270 or so teams vie for three slots. so however you want to paint it it is tough, margin so thin vcu was going home without the conference tournament win

29 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

well what's not skewed, that you obviously don't want to talk about, is there is only 3 at large bids from non P6 schools....spin anyway you want, the odds are poor...

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

giocolleti was always known as a floor coach.   NOT a recruiter.   it was the reason he failed at utah replacing rickma.  if they didnt hire him as a game assistant, then he was a terrible hire.

I'm not disputing if they did or not....Christ, man not everything has to be a crusade. I'm saying they brought him in last minute due to a late departure.

13 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

well what's not skewed, that you obviously don't want to talk about, is there is only 3 at large bids from non P6 schools....spin anyway you want, the odds are poor...

There are also non-P6 schools that are at-large quality but happened to win their conference tourney. FAU, San Diego State, Memphis, and Gonzaga all would’ve been at-larges based on their seeding. Obviously not an exact science but theoretically, if there were bid-stealers in all of their conferences, they would all still make the tourney (FAU being the worst seed, 9)

Nevertheless, if it’s so hard for a mid-major to make the tourney, how has VCU made it to 9 out of the last 11 tourneys in the same conference as us with similar facilities and funding? 

4 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

There are also non-P6 schools that are at-large quality but happened to win their conference tourney. FAU, San Diego State, Memphis, and Gonzaga all would’ve been at-larges based on their seeding. Obviously not an exact science but theoretically, if there were bid-stealers in all of their conferences, they would all still make the tourney (FAU being the worst seed, 9)

Nevertheless, if it’s so hard for a mid-major to make the tourney, how has VCU made it to 9 out of the last 11 tourneys in the same conference as us with similar facilities and funding? 

it is hard for vcu also, they have a good team, facts are it is hard for non power five accept that of not, if that is your only goal, be in for a disappointment. the odds are long even if you throw in those teams you mentioned. will all of the naysayers have the stamina to non stop complain for next eight months? will the tragedy of have ford as coach leave them broken and sad? time will tell

30 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

it is hard for vcu also, they have a good team, facts are it is hard for non power five accept that of not, if that is your only goal, be in for a disappointment. the odds are long even if you throw in those teams you mentioned. will all of the naysayers have the stamina to non stop complain for next eight months? will the tragedy of have ford as coach leave them broken and sad? time will tell

Personally, I don’t expect the tourney every year. No denying it’s hard to make it. But it’s possible for a mid major to make it consistently (every other year or so) and eventually improve their standing in the college pecking order. SLU’s investments over the last 15 or so years have made it clear that they are trying to do just that. But the results don’t match the investment right now, which is the problem. 

I’ve accepted that ford will be the coach next year and probably longer after that. I’m hopeful that a fresh roster can improve the ceiling for the program. But there is no denying that Ford has objectively failed to meet expectations when we’ve been picked to finish top 3 in the conference on four separate occasions and never finished better than 4th, have never gotten an at-large bid, and finished off of the NIT bubble in a year where we got pre-season top 25 votes. 

Just because some people have lower expectations of the program doesn’t mean that’s the consensus. The AD, media, and other A10 coaches have all shown that they expect SLU to compete for at-larges. And it’s perfectly reasonable for fans to be disgruntled with the fact that we haven’t done so under Ford.

My two biggest take always from Ford

Pros - consistency. We will not have a lot of down years with Ford. Most years we can expect to be top 5 in the A10 and battling for an NIT spot. 

Cons - struggles to win against good teams.  I know this is true for most teams but to be 0 - whatever vs top 25 teams while here and 1-5 vs the top 4 in a down A10 this year is unacceptable. 

I know Ford will be here next year. I will support the team like I always do but I am positive we can do better and I am not very confident going forward. 

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Didn’t realize I had that much influence and control over slu basketball, that’s awesome, I hope I can get on the payroll 

I didn’t think anyone on this board had any influence or control over any tiny detail of SLU basketball, but apparently you do? Congratulations! Good luck getting on the payroll! 😁

14 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I didn’t think anyone on this board had any influence or control over any tiny detail of SLU basketball, but apparently you do? Congratulations! Good luck getting on the payroll! 😁

Let me know if I can pass your thoughts along to may and Ford 

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm not disputing if they did or not....Christ, man not everything has to be a crusade. I'm saying they brought him in last minute due to a late departure.

Giacoletti was hired as a Special Assistant to Coach Ford, a non-recruiting position.  The position was specifically created for him.  The following year he was elevated to Asst coach after we had a departure.  That position has not been filled since.

billikenfan05 likes this

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

See if you can get me Gus Phillips job.

I’ll do it for cheap!

If they want to know my qualifications tell them my main one is that I’m not Gus Phillips.

At this point I am not on the payroll, so I will require envelopes stuffed with dead presidents