NIT 32 A10 0

slu72

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I used the Torvik tool with these assumptions:  Keep the actual results with these, what i consider to be reasonable modifications:  Memphis Loss, Providence (N) Loss, Boise State Win, SIUe Win, @UMass Win and @Richmond Win.

That scenario per the Tool puts SLU IN the NCAA Tourney as a 13 Seed, with a 23-10 record overall, 14-4 in the A10.  Basically, my thought is SLU was -2 this season, slightly underachieving in terms of actual game results.

Conclusion:  For a SLU playing in the Atlantic 10, there is slim margin for error.  Torvik has SLU with final ranking of 101 (SLU's NET was 99).  SLU fell 2 games short of dancing.  It's not impossible getting to the Promised Land (NCAA) out of the A10, but it's a lot tougher path than what SLU's peer institutions face.

Ultimate Conclusion:  Coach Majerus, as he arose for a second straight week looking at the Atlantic Ocean, said it best:  "We need to get the hell out of this conference."  SLU needs to get in the Big East.  Win, Win, Win, leave behind Brooklyn, the curtains covering the upper deck at Barclays Center and the A10, and play in front of the bright lights at Madison Square Garden, where every youngster wants to grow up to play basketball.  It's the Big East.  Just Win Baby and then Just Get In Baby.

So the only way to get in as an at large is in the A10 would be for everything in every game to go near perfectly, and we might get in as an at large. Looks like our odds of winning the conference tournament are better than that. Expecting everything to go perfectly the entire season seems unreasonable.  Either the conference has to change, or we need to get into the Big East.  If we have to be stuck in a one bid conference, better the MVC than the A10.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

So the only way to get in as an at large is in the A10 would be for everything in every game to go near perfectly, and we might get in as an at large. Looks like our odds of winning the conference tournament are better than that. Expecting everything to go perfectly the entire season seems unreasonable.  Either the conference has to change, or we need to get into the Big East.  If we have to be stuck in a one bid conference, better the MVC than the A10.

You're right. If the A10 getting only one bid is not a single anomaly, but rather a harbinger of things to come moving to the MVC would finally be a prudent move (for all those MBMs yearning for a return to the MVC).

It is better to be a big fish in a small pound than a medium fish in a larger pond filled with medium and small fish. I still believe this is a 1 year anomoly but time will tell.

Box and Won likes this

51 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I’m not a believer that just because the A-10 was one bid this year, it will be one bid every year.  A lot will depend on the transfer portal and NIL in the years to come.

6 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

I’m not a believer that just because the A-10 was one bid this year, it will be one bid every year.  A lot will depend on the transfer portal and NIL in the years to come.

Fair point, only 1 year of data for that.  However, how does next year for the A10 look right now? I’d say just 1 bid again, unless several teams up their games. The long term trend that the A10 has been on is not encouraging.

The new way of evaluating teams is not kind to the A10, look at who is in the NIT and you will realize we should probably be in it, because , in reality this team was not much different than last years team. We did beat several NCAA tourney teams.