ASK THE AUDIENCE - Rooting Interest

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, almaman said:

sad

why is that sad.   billikens are out.   i have no dog in this hunt.   i love baseball other than the billikens it is the sport even  i enjoy most.   so why would i spend time watching the tourney when these games are on?   with no billikens the ONLY reason to even check the scores is for the brackets which i will have a small wager connected.  

I have always loved watching the NCAA Tourney. While I like when SLU gets in the Tourney I can still have rooting interests. Besides UT our obvious rooting interest I always root for the Zags (the successful Jesuit U). Since I went to Augustinian Academy I enjoyed and rooted for Villanova when they were very successful. Agree with the sentiment NCAA Tourney time is like a hoops holiday for people who really enjoy college hoops. I don't get bent out of shape that the P-5 have the most teams and I do get a kick out of it when one of them gets upset by a small school as long as it's not UT.

Ironbills likes this

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

SEMO or bust, baby!

Also, I'm rooting for Northwestern because of my wife, Indiana because of a couple of friends who went there (all other B1G teams can make an early exit as far as I'm concerned), and I guess Drake because why not.

well drake does sport billiken blue.   ok that is who i am rooting for.  thanks for your help Box.

Box and Won likes this

13 hours ago, Matty Light said:

Now that the Big Dance field has been revealed, who are you pulling for?

Among the teams with a shot at winning, I am pulling for UCLA, due to a personal connection to Tyga Campbell's father.

The team I am most invested with SLU out of the picture are the Iowa Hawkeyes, mostly because of a personal connection with Kris Murray.

I hope VCU does well to at least represent the A10 as our best.

Who does Billiken Nation have the feels for? Your grad school, local state U? Let's hear who's got you excited for this week.

I root for my bracket, cause I love money.  That said, I like MMs beating p5 teams, and I always pull for Ramey

slufan13 likes this

30 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Is anybody feeling just a bit of joy for Jimmy Bell Jr making the Tournament or does Bob Huggins' stink make that difficult?

I'm thrilled for JBJ.  He was/is one of my faves.  I really wish it would have worked out for him at SLU.

Matty Light likes this

17 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Teams with a decent shot -  I too am pulling for UCLA however I have no connection to Tyga. But I did live in LA and enjoyed some late night fraternizing with the ladies of Westwood from time to time.  

I’d like to see VCU lose big to St Mary’s. The A10 sucks this year. A few wins by VCU does absolutely nothing for the A10’s image. 

Indiana seems to have a decent path. My sister and bro-in-law went there (along with several friends) so i’lll probably root for them even though I hate the B10. 

Would also love to see College of Charleston win a few. A close friend of mine attended and the city is great. 

Couldn't agree more with you on the city of Charleston...love it. Down south it is best known as Savannah on steroids!

2 hours ago, Matty Light said:

Is anybody feeling just a bit of joy for Jimmy Bell Jr making the Tournament or does Bob Huggins' stink make that difficult?

You know I love to hate Bob Huggins. At Cincy they were the villains.  Now I don't hate him so.

It's intetesting that of the underclassman on the 2021 Billikens, only 2 guys transferred (Russell and Bell) and are both playing in the Big Dance. Everyone who stayed are still on the outside looking in.

Two other guys stayed one more year. Lorentsson is at Toledo averaging 2.5 pts a game on around 8 minutes a game. Markhi Strickland is playing at a rinky dink juco in Texas where he stinks at free throws and threes. Remember how much many members of the board wanted him to play? That happened!

10 hours ago, Matty Light said:

I like Jimmy but I can’t root for a P5 school who finished with a 7-11 conference record and a suspect nonconference schedule. How did they get in? I don’t count the Net as it’s absolutely biased. 

17 hours ago, Marlow said:

Supposedly Caleb Love has removed all references to UNC from his social media Come on, Larry Hughes, work your magic.

Not that we wouldn’t happily accept Caleb Love, but he had a pretty bad year for his standards.  Might have played himself out of 1st round of NBA draft.  Just about 1 turnover for each assist and under 30% from 3 didn’t stop him from taking 244 of them.  I watched a good bit of Carolina this year and the more the offense went through Bacot and RJ Davis, the better