2023 NCAA Tournament Thread

38 minutes ago, willie said:

Restricted like an endowed professorship. General endowment  monies don’t go to athletics . Now if the athletic department wants to set up an endowment that’s a different animal. See T Bone Pickett at Oklahoma . 

i knew of a women that endowed a basketball scholly many years ago, i would assume it was and still is restricted

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

We have Sinquefield money (not Texas oil money but a lot) but he's obsessed with chess and getting rid of income tax. If we could get him invested in MBB, we might have a chance.

Don't know anything about him, but T Boone when he was alive was deeply involved in OSU and their athletics. Too bad we don't have a super invested rich sport fan with T Boone type money at SLU...things would be different!

1 hour ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

And got smoked by Iona, Maryland, and VCU x3, lost to Boise St. Boise State, Providence, Drake, Memphis didn’t even make it to the round of 32. What’s your point?

You said we couldn’t have success in the NCAA tournament because we couldn’t even beat a team not in the tournament, SIU. I said we beat 3 teams in the tournament. We weren’t going to make a run, but we could have won a game. My point is that the SIU game would not determine whether we won a game in the tournament. 

2 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

We were 3-7 against tournament teams with an average point differential of -7.5.

The highest tournament seed we played was an 8. One of the 8 seeds we played destroyed us by 30 on a neutral floor. We also lost to a 12 seed three times. 

2 of the 3 wins were at home. If we played all 10 of those games on a neutral floor, how many do we win? One for sure, maybe one more past that? 

If we can only confidently say that we’d beat 1 or 2 tournament teams on our schedule on a neutral court, how in the world could we even have hope for one win, much less a run, in the tournament? Is this Chris May’s burner account?

Ha. I like May less than I like the haters who can’t stop repeating themselves. We weren’t going to make a run, but to say we couldn’t win a game in this tournament is just plain stupid. 

26 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Don't know anything about him, but T Boone when he was alive was deeply involved in OSU and their athletics. Too bad we don't have a super invested rich sport fan with T Boone type money at SLU...things would be different!

Google Rex Sinquefield. He is more involved than people realize.

22 minutes ago, Schasz said:

True story about T Boone and Oklahoma State. He was the head of their athletic fund. He convinced the fund to take out multi million dollar insurance policies on the directors using actuary tables as the basis of predicted profits. They lived too long and they ran out of money to pay the premiums. Policies lapsed. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Restricted like an endowed professorship. General endowment  monies don’t go to athletics . Now if the athletic department wants to set up an endowment that’s a different animal. See T Bone Pickett at Oklahoma . 

Restricted in anyway in how it can be used.  SLU has approximately $1.33 billion in their endowment that they can spend however they choose.

37 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Restricted in anyway in how it can be used.  SLU has approximately $1.33 billion in their endowment that they can spend however they choose.

Don’t actually know that that is true. While it might not be restricted an Endowment can have a policy statement guiding how it can be used. 

18 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

So where will Coach May be coaching next season?  It won’t be in Boca Raton. He just got himself a huge raise. 

My guess is somewhere like the Mountain West or American. He needs a bridge school to work at until the Indiana job opens up but he needs to stay successful until then.

It is interesting that Dusty May is from the coaching trees of both Bob Knight and Rick Majerus. He was an assistant to Mike Davis for 2 seasons at UAB, as well as 2 seasons under Kerry Rupp at LA Tech. Rupp served under Mike Davis himself for 3 seasons and was assistant to Rick Majerus for 4 seasons at Utah, eventually becoming Interim Head Coach when RickMa retired from Utah.

Very interesting pedigree and potential fit for SLU in Coach May but would likely be waiting for that job at his alma mater, Indiana.

15 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

SIUE probably could've beaten Fairleigh Dickinson....SLU on a good day could've played with these teams.  With a different coach maybe 

Nope. We lost to Maryland by 28. Could not play with these teams. BTW, SIUE did beat Fairleigh, 79-78. Oddly enough, I listened to the second half of that game.

Creighton SDSU tied at 56-56 with 6 seconds to go. SDSU ball after they gifted Creighton 2 points on a sidelines inbound turnover.

How good is Marcus Carr? UConn Texas will be for the national championship. Of course, I said in '83 that Louisville Houston would be for the natty, and NC State wins it.

5 hours ago, DOC said:

Ha. I like May less than I like the haters who can’t stop repeating themselves. We weren’t going to make a run, but to say we couldn’t win a game in this tournament is just plain stupid. 

It’s not plain stupid, it’s being realistic. Hypothetically, let’s say we won the conference tourney; we’d most likely be a 13 seed imo. So which four seed would we beat? UConn, Virginia, Tennessee, or Indiana? I know Virginia lost in the first round but I’d say odds are still slim to none against any of those teams. 

14 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

It’s not plain stupid, it’s being realistic. Hypothetically, let’s say we won the conference tourney; we’d most likely be a 13 seed imo. So which four seed would we beat? UConn, Virginia, Tennessee, or Indiana? I know Virginia lost in the first round but I’d say odds are still slim to none against any of those teams. 

And Slim left town last week.

NoCoBillsFan likes this

Two teams from Florida in the Final Four, too bad Final Four is not in Florida. That would be nuts if the Final is Florida Atlantic against Miami. My wife and daughter will be rooting for Florida Atlantic as one of the places we lived in Florida was Coral Springs and my wife was a school nurse in Boca Raton home Florida Atlantic. 

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Anyone need 5 tickets to the Final 4?  $1500

Damn 

My apology to you The A_Bomb with the Texas Longhorns tanking late in the 2nd half. I know how you feel as my wife's Volunteers also lost a game that they were supposed to win. Now she's actually rooting for Florida Atlantic to win it all. Kind of cool that 2 Florida teams are in the Final Four. If the Final Four happened to be in Florida I'd probably take you up on the offer. Florida is in Boca Raton and lots of rich people live there so you might be able to get rid of them to one of their fans. My wife's last job was as a School Nurse in Boca at one of the largest middle schools in the country. Best of luck to you getting rid of your Tix.

What do you hear the chances of Terry getting the permanent HC gig at Texas, or will the powers to be look around before making their mind up on him after today's loss?

8 minutes ago, Schasz said:

My apology to you The A_Bomb with the Texas Longhorns tanking late in the 2nd half. I know how you feel as my wife's Volunteers also lost a game that they were supposed to win. Now she's actually rooting for Florida Atlantic to win it all. Kind of cool that 2 Florida teams are in the Final Four. If the Final Four happened to be in Florida I'd probably take you up on the offer. Florida is in Boca Raton and lots of rich people live there so you might be able to get rid of them to one of their fans. My wife's last job was as a School Nurse in Boca at one of the largest middle schools in the country. Best of luck to you getting rid of your Tix.

What do you hear the chances of Terry getting the permanent HC gig at Texas, or will the powers to be look around before making their mind up on him after today's loss?

Your wife likes Tennessee?

I think Sweet 16 was the benchmark to keep Terry.  He made the elite 8 with some real adversity.  Disu was out this game,  Allen was injured early in the Tournament.