2023 NCAA Tournament Thread

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Your wife likes Tennessee?

I think Sweet 16 was the benchmark to keep Terry.  He made the elite 8 with some real adversity.  Disu was out this game,  Allen was injured early in the Tournament.  

I know you're teasing me on my wife and Tennessee as she is a proud Alum of UT and VFL, but unhappy about the Florida Atlantic outcome as you are of Texas. Guess her thought is if we can beat them then root for them to win it all. Their HC May is in for a big payday regardless what happens to FAU from here on out. He won't be making only $400K next season only question is where will he be?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Yeah honestly, this tournament has been wild with all the upsets.

i think it demonstrates that they arent as much of an upset as the NCAA and the power 5 conferences want the college basketball world to believe.   the supposed mid majors are much better than what they want us to believe.   That said, the new NiL b.s. and the liberal use of the portal and the changing of the rules for sitting out when transferring will imo continue to move things to a level and divide the NCAA is wanting.   it's all about the money and they do not want us mid majors sharing if possible.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think it demonstrates that they arent as much of an upset as the NCAA and the power 5 conferences want the college basketball world to believe.   the supposed mid majors are much better than what they want us to believe.   That said, the new NiL b.s. and the liberal use of the portal and the changing of the rules for sitting out when transferring will imo continue to move things to a level and divide the NCAA is wanting.   it's all about the money and they do not want us mid majors sharing if possible.  

But look who is in the Final 4 Florida Atlantic University. Hmm...what do you think that says if they are the ones cutting the nets down next Monday???

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

If I handle the first million, can you handle the second million?  Then the rest of the MBM's can throw in the misc. $200.000.

Miami FL  was also in the Elite 8 last year too. Pack didn’t play on that team. Pack is a good player. Out of 24 All Conference ACC players this year, Nigel Pack didn’t make any of the All Conference teams. 3 other Miami players did. 

It’s important for SLU to have NIL money moving forward. Few will disagree with that. I’m all for that. But many teams have won at high levels this year without big NIL money. And it isn’t the reason SLU’s results were less than some others this year.

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

If I handle the first million, can you handle the second million?  Then the rest of the MBM's can throw in the misc. $200.000.

Forgot to mention that in Jim Larranaga the U has a HC who has had a successful track record in not only finding talent but in developing the talent so that you see his teams no matter where he was HC in the past make deep NCAA runs. Lest we forget his 1st Final 4 was with Mid Major George Mason. His record as a successful HC must be factored into the equation too!

7 minutes ago, courtside said:

Miami FL  was also in the Elite 8 last year too. Pack didn’t play on that team. Pack is a good player. Out of 24 All Conference ACC players this year, Nigel Pack didn’t make any of the All Conference teams. 3 other Miami players did. 

It’s important for SLU to have NIL money moving forward. Few will disagree with that. I’m all for that. But many teams have won at high levels this year without big NIL money. And it isn’t the reason SLU’s results were less than some others this year.

And it isn't the reason SLU's results were less than some others this year. Very well said...NIL money alone will unfortunately not be the savior for our SLU hoops program. No question it would help, if other important things are put in place too!

10 minutes ago, Schasz said:

And it isn't the reason SLU's results were less than some others this year. Very well said...NIL money alone will unfortunately not be the savior for our SLU hoops program. No question it would help, if other important things are put in place too!

How much NIL money has FAU been giving out?

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Great job of seeding by the committee:

It sure didn't turn out the way they probably wanted but to be fair to the committee this year there just wasn't a team(s) out there that stood way ahead of the field.  Seemed like every week we had a new #1

SLU doesn't need 2.2 million to be competitive in the NIL world. If you factor out the 400k for Pack, it is $150,000 a player across the entire roster. 

SLU would be (is?) more than competitive in the NIL landscape with somewhere in the 250-500k annual commitment. The bottom 4 on the roster aren't going to get shinola. The stars might get to 100-150k. The rest of the starters in that low to mid 5 figure range. Rotation guys in the low 5 or high 4 figures. 

i respectively disagree.   we have to be willing to spend more than the big blue blood programs from the power conferences to overcome the stigma of what the big boys is where you have to be.   if duke and ucla are spending 2 million per year we have to spend 2.5 million to get the roster that will be better than theirs.   

It obviously worked for Miami.  Did it work for North Carolina?  How about Ohio State?  Michigan?  For every instance, there will be an example that validates the narrative.  Tremaine endorsing the model should come as no surprise ---- I'd endorse it too if I was lucky enough to be in a position to clear some big cash as a college player.  Who wouldn't?  

I have long asked the question how you would parse out some amount of money across the recent SLU roster.  What would you pay and to whom?  All you hear about are these six figure payouts to guys.  I doubt that is th enorm but it does set an unrealistic bar (in my book) that can't be met annually.  I still would love to see an accouting of what schools are paying who.  Much like there are ways to find out what a coach is making, there should be a reciprocal listing coming out soon enough that shows that.  Maybe some of these NIL collectives are shielded from that by the law and privacy rules but eventually it will be known.  

Folks throwing out numbers are just speculating.  No one really knows and you can't level a playing field if you don't know.

49 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

It obviously worked for Miami.  Did it work for North Carolina?  How about Ohio State?  Michigan?  For every instance, there will be an example that validates the narrative.  Tremaine endorsing the model should come as no surprise ---- I'd endorse it too if I was lucky enough to be in a position to clear some big cash as a college player.  Who wouldn't?  

I have long asked the question how you would parse out some amount of money across the recent SLU roster.  What would you pay and to whom?  All you hear about are these six figure payouts to guys.  I doubt that is th enorm but it does set an unrealistic bar (in my book) that can't be met annually.  I still would love to see an accouting of what schools are paying who.  Much like there are ways to find out what a coach is making, there should be a reciprocal listing coming out soon enough that shows that.  Maybe some of these NIL collectives are shielded from that by the law and privacy rules but eventually it will be known.  

Folks throwing out numbers are just speculating.  No one really knows and you can't level a playing field if you don't know.

How much do you make a year? 

I’m not speculating on numbers either. 

The problem with NILs are that not every player is ready for the pressure that comes with the money.  I can assure you Miami fans would be upset if they had not made the final 4 and the players would hear it.  These kids are just not to the expectations for the money - in time they may but not now.  Different pressure than just expecting to win but expecting to win and having received money for it makes fans think they own a piece of you just like in the pros.  It may be that in time the numbers will come down if people don't think they are getting value - after all, in the pros its the team's money but in college it is now yours if you donated.

@Taj79 only firm NIL #s I've heard are for football.   Texas Collective started a NIL deal that guaranteed every offensive lineman $50,000/season. This was put out by the collective and I heard a player talk about it on Horns247 podcast.

So I'd think a basketball player could be $30000 each.  That should be enough to compete against non-P6 teams. 

JMM28 likes this

That’s one of the fundamental problems with this, no one really knows how much players make, it’s not reported. Plenty of people (players and “street agents” ) have personal incentives to push the amounts up, so they can say anything without fear of contradiction. Only occasionally do to see some numbers put out, but that’s usually an unnamed source, and again, nothing to go back to and verify. 

41 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

That’s one of the fundamental problems with this, no one really knows how much players make, it’s not reported. Plenty of people (players and “street agents” ) have personal incentives to push the amounts up, so they can say anything without fear of contradiction. Only occasionally do to see some numbers put out, but that’s usually an unnamed source, and again, nothing to go back to and verify. 

I think that's a problem, though. If we're going to introduce money into college sports, it needs to be publicly available and reported. Otherwise, you end up with a dark money situation with no accountability. 

3 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I think that's a problem, though. If we're going to introduce money into college sports, it needs to be publicly available and reported. Otherwise, you end up with a dark money situation with no accountability. 

Not going to happen.  Does IBM disclose how much they pay? Does Pepsi, Coke, Nike disclose how much they pay for NIL?  No so how would this be any different?

What accountability do you need? Players can make money based on their NIL. That amount depends on many things so just because they play college athletics you can undermine their right to privacy and know how much they're paid?  Not going to happen the normal rules of employment now apply to college athletics.