2023 NCAA Tournament Thread

13 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Which raises the obvious question, why were so many invited in the first place? Based on results in the tournament, that many teams from the Big Ten DID NOT BELONG in the tournament. Yet, year after year, somehow they get in, with the same results every year. And what are the consistent big stories of the tournament? Underdogs from smaller conferences. The NCAA is actually hurting the appeal of the tournament by stuffing it with all these Power 5 teams that lose quickly. If they actually “deserved” to be there, why are they sent home so quickly?

NCAA is year after year becoming more and more about money (even more than it used to!), it seems. What do these Power 5s have in common, I wonder? 

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Which raises the obvious question, why were so many invited in the first place? Based on results in the tournament, that many teams from the Big Ten DID NOT BELONG in the tournament. Yet, year after year, somehow they get in, with the same results every year. And what are the consistent big stories of the tournament? Underdogs from smaller conferences. The NCAA is actually hurting the appeal of the tournament by stuffing it with all these Power 5 teams that lose quickly. If they actually “deserved” to be there, why are they sent home so quickly?

They justify all those teams by their rigged, Power 5 skewed metric, the NET, along with conference dictated scheduling in refusing to play mid-majors on the road. This scheme gives them an artificial appearance of worthiness.

Look at Mizzou yesterday, from the Power 5 SEC. Mizzou got boat raced in Sacramento, run off the court by Ivy Leaguers from Princeton.  Mizzou was never in that game, except for a late first half 7-0 MU run. The Mizzou fan turnout was easily the lowest of the four teams playing yesterday in Sacramento, only one of which, UCLA, was from the West. 

4 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

8 Big Ten teams were in the NCAA Tourney, 7 received at large bids.  6 of the 8 are already OUT, with 2 left, but playing today, Indiana and Mich. State. 

This is a regular occurrence.

In the last 4 tournaments the Big 10 have had 34 teams get bids. 6 have made it to the sweet 16 with 2 more to go. 
When will the false narrative of the big 10 being a super conference end? 

11 minutes ago, dlarry said:

This is a regular occurrence.

In the last 4 tournaments the Big 10 have had 34 teams get bids. 6 have made it to the sweet 16 with 2 more to go. 
When will the false narrative of the big 10 being a super conference end? 

The question I would ask - I don't necessarily have an issue with what you are saying - would replacing some of them with non P 5 schools have actually changed this outcome?

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The question I would ask - I don't necessarily have an issue with what you are saying - would replacing some of them with non P 5 schools have actually changed this outcome?

Probably not but I would be more interested in watching a 24-6 “mid-major” take on a P5 school instead of watching a 15-15 P5 school take on another P5 school. 
And I might be wrong but I think most College Bball fans feel the same way? 

dennis_w likes this

9 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Probably not but I would be more interested in watching a 24-6 “mid-major” take on a P5 school instead of watching a 15-15 P5 school take on another P5 school. 
And I might be wrong but I think most College Bball fans feel the same way? 

Agreed. What they are doing doesn’t make sense. It also undercuts all the narratives they put out about how great the P5 conferences are. If the Big 10 was that good, why are so many of their teams sitting this quickly? Give opportunities to the #2 and #3 teams from some of the mid-majors. 

It would be an interesting marketing experiment to have a mid major play in tournament. You have the 4 best mid majors on the outside of the field play a 4 team tourney for a 12 seed in the bracket.

This would expand the field to 71 teams and guarantee a Last 4 in spot for the 1st round. It also would be the hottest mid major team. It would make the 5 and 4 seed vulnerable to make the Sweet 16. It would essentially shift a bid from Power 6 to a Mid major but would add 3 interesting games.

In order to work the Mid Major conferences would have to move up their tournaments to coincide with Arch Madness. It seems there could be TV money to be made this way, though.

4 hours ago, Matty Light said:

It would be an interesting marketing experiment to have a mid major play in tournament. You have the 4 best mid majors on the outside of the field play a 4 team tourney for a 12 seed in the bracket.

This would expand the field to 71 teams and guarantee a Last 4 in spot for the 1st round. It also would be the hottest mid major team. It would make the 5 and 4 seed vulnerable to make the Sweet 16. It would essentially shift a bid from Power 6 to a Mid major but would add 3 interesting games.

In order to work the Mid Major conferences would have to move up their tournaments to coincide with Arch Madness. It seems there could be TV money to be made this way, though.

So only mid majors would have to be in the play in? - seems very pro P5.  

Two more Jesuit U's in the Sweet 16 Xavier and Creighton, and I'll be surprised if my fave Gonzaga does not make it 3 before the end of tonight. Come on Billiken fans it can be done with the right players and HC. 

Well my favorite winning Jesuit U Gonzaga just keeps their Sweet 16 record in tact with an exciting win late last night. As a SLU hoops fan I only dream that my alma mater could somehow reach their status in the college basketball world.

Bills71 likes this

21 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Well my favorite winning Jesuit U Gonzaga just keeps their Sweet 16 record in tact with an exciting win late last night. As a SLU hoops fan I only dream that my alma mater could somehow reach their status in the college basketball world.

If you are a real SLU hoops fan you don't need to keep reiterating to everyone that you're a SLU hoops fan. You just act like one. 

AGB91 and Fraz like this