2023 NCAA Tournament Thread

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Like I said I loved to hate Huggins back at Cincy.  He was boys with Spoon that's good enough for me.  I'd love to kick back some beers and talk basketball with him. 

Gearing up to play the hated Bob Huggins and U of Cincy was one of my strongest memories while growing up. I used to get absolutely hyped when we played them.

He should probably be in the basketball hall of fame, doesn't make me root against him any less.

2 hours ago, Soderball said:

Gearing up to play the hated Bob Huggins and U of Cincy was one of my strongest memories while growing up. I used to get absolutely hyped when we played them.

He should probably be in the basketball hall of fame, doesn't make me root against him any less.

Huggins was inducted into the basketball hall of fame in 2022.

Soderball likes this

6 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Terps hang on to win 67-65. Our net gets a boost!!

Another boost to the net as Auburn takes down Iowa!! Let’s go Boise!! Watching Boise, how did we lose to those stiffs?

On 3/13/2023 at 7:35 PM, Taj79 said:

Here's the reality:  if Ford is not fired by end of March/beginning of April, then he will be our coach next year.  There is no need to pursue this point or opinion past then.  With current roster players moving on from the coach if fired, with current recruits reopening their recruitment with the current coach being fired, the new guy comes in with both feet in a bucket --- no returning players and no recruits.  Sure, you can do that but the hole is even bigger.  That was the dilemma even Majerus faced.

Count me in the group that says Travis Ford is our coach next year.  Start bundling the kindle under his seat.

He will be. It doesn't make him a good coach and I will continue to call for moving on from CTF.

Schasz likes this

VCU gets sent home by St. Mary's today. We lose 3 to VCU this season while St. Mary's won one game from Gonzaga who regularly rules the roost in their conference. St. Mary's was the better team and have been coached  very. well by a former SLU Asst for years. Still the team I emulate and hope the Billikens could become is Gonzaga. Probably won't happen during my lifetime.

21 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I'd be happy with the Bills being St Mary's. The problem is the coaching. Shoulda got Bennett here. Shoulda got Moser.. coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Randy Bennett is from the Phoenix Area, loves it in the East Bay, Contra Costa County, has turned down Pac-12 jobs.  He was never coming back to St. Louis.  He was only at SLU for 2 seasons, as an assistant under fellow West Coaster Lorenzo Romar, 1999-2001.

Porter Moser was probably a fateful one year removed from being the SLU Coach.

That VCU System of open court muggings of ball handlers, checks, chucks, grabs, holds, reaches, bumps, don't leave out the bumps, garners no sympathy here.  In the morsels of today's game I was able to watch, Ace Baldwin was called for a reach, another VCU guard was called for checking the SMC ball handler in the backcourt.

Gee Wally, where were those calls last Saturday?  And VCU engaged in less of the plain view contact today than it got away with last week.

One of the refs today is a frequent flyer in the A10, was on the crew with another zebra fossil that rightly incurred the wrath of the Fordham fans last Saturday.  

Who would have thought the East Coast refs would call a game like their counterparts Out West?

Nick Kern had another scoring explosion, 5 points, 2-2 floor, 1-2 FT's in 21 minutes.  You only have to be aware of him at arm's length, soft D.  He won't shoot from the outside, only scores by driving to the hoop.  Stay in front of him and he's reduced to 5 points.

ive been saying for about 5 years we should play havoc defense.   the refs these days let way too much go and it is exciting to watch.   i believe we had the athletes and the depth (even though ford let the depth whither on the vine) to play fast on both ends.   instead we might play for 5 spectacular minutes a half then we would go into walking it up the court, the three handoff shuffle a couple of laps by yuri and then yuri driving the lane to get his shot blocked.   once out of 5 tries he would get to shoot free throws.  

just like that we got ten losses.

thatskablamo likes this