Should Ford Get An Extension?

slufan13

As far as we know, Ford has 2 years left on his current deal right? Now there could have been an ill-advised/premature extension given out that we haven't heard about in recent years but I'm guessing he has 2 years remaining. So my question is, based on May's comments, should Ford get an extension? I know the portal changes things but you'd still like for Ford to be able to tell all recruits that he's gonna be here for more than 2 years. It's commonplace in coaching to extend before they get down to 1 year remaining otherwise you're totally setting up a lame duck season. So even though I'd be in favor of firing Ford, I feel like you're doubling down on a bad stance by also not extending him

Bizziken likes this

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

As far as we know, Ford has 2 years left on his current deal right? Now there could have been an ill-advised/premature extension given out that we haven't heard about in recent years but I'm guessing he has 2 years remaining. So my question is, based on May's comments, should Ford get an extension? I know the portal changes things but you'd still like for Ford to be able to tell all recruits that he's gonna be here for more than 2 years. It's commonplace in coaching to extend before they get down to 1 year remaining otherwise you're totally setting up a lame duck season. So even though I'd be in favor of firing Ford, I feel like you're doubling down on a bad stance by also not extending him

HAHHAHA I love you for this.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

This is true.

We are essentially repeating what we did with Soderberg and Crews.

My thinking is if at any time you are not prepared to extend a coach's contract for 4 more years than you should let him go.  You are making the coach "tryout" for his job.  Putting pressure on him and the players when 9 times out 10 if you have gotten to this point you aren't going to keep the coach.

I am now calling on May to sack up, back up his statements and extend Coach Ford for 4 more years.

JMM28 and slufan13 like this

23 minutes ago, thetorch said:

This is true.

We are essentially repeating what we did with Soderberg and Crews.

My thinking is if at any time you are not prepared to extend a coach's contract for 4 more years than you should let him go.  You are making the coach "tryout" for his job.  Putting pressure on him and the players when 9 times out 10 if you have gotten to this point you aren't going to keep the coach.

I am now calling on May to sack up, back up his statements and extend Coach Ford for 4 more years.

That’s the most logical way of looking at it.  If Ford has only 2 years left on his contract, then the decision is to let him go now or extend him now.  If you don’t let him go now, then you have to extend him now, otherwise his lame duck status impacts recruiting. Not sure about transfers, they probably aren’t too worried about more than 1 year anyway.  If you decide to keep him and don’t extend him, you severely handicap him in the one area everyone thinks well of him, recruiting. 

One more thing, the success of JG in making the Wizards might work against Ford in success in the transfer portal.  If you are in the transfer portal and want to improve your game and go to the NBA, why go here? JG improved to make a team after he left, not because of the improvement he made here. The only reason to go here is purely financial via the NIL. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

That’s the most logical way of looking at it.  If Ford has only 2 years left on his contract, then the decision is to let him go now or extend him now.  If you don’t let him go now, then you have to extend him now, otherwise his lame duck status impacts recruiting. Not sure about transfers, they probably aren’t too worried about more than 1 year anyway.  If you decide to keep him and don’t extend him, you severely handicap him in the one area everyone thinks well of him, recruiting. 

i honestly think, given the portal, that this is much less of an issue.  When a transfer had a "sit a year" penalty commitments actually meant something.........

majerus mojo likes this

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

One more thing, the success of JG in making the Wizards might work against Ford in success in the transfer portal.  If you are in the transfer portal and want to improve your game and go to the NBA, why go here? JG improved to make a team after he left, not because of the improvement he made here. The only reason to go here is purely financial via the NIL. 

You are definitely overthinking the JG comments. Most recruits would have no idea who JG  is or where he might have improved his game. 

Don’t care about how hard it COULD be to recruit.  If we can’t fire him because we can’t eat whatever is left on his contract (or any other reason), don’t extend him just to avoid a lame duck situation.  Win more games, get more money and years.. simple.

look at Houston, Memphis (once with callipari and now with Penny) Texas tech when they had Beard, us when we had majerus, Loyola with Moser.  You can go from obscurity to a contender!  But you have to hire the right guy!!  It can be done!

1 hour ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Don’t care about how hard it COULD be to recruit.  If we can’t fire him because we can’t eat whatever is left on his contract (or any other reason), don’t extend him just to avoid a lame duck situation.  Win more games, get more money and years.. simple.

look at Houston, Memphis (once with callipari and now with Penny) Texas tech when they had Beard, us when we had majerus, Loyola with Moser.  You can go from obscurity to a contender!  But you have to hire the right guy!!  It can be done!

I agree - this talk of extending makes no sense.  The portal does not require a coach to have 4 years left to recruit.  Players in the portal are looking at a one year deal anyway.  If May extends Ford then I really will be upset and yes I will cut my donations.

majerus mojo likes this

On 3/12/2023 at 6:52 PM, cheeseman said:

I agree - this talk of extending makes no sense.  The portal does not require a coach to have 4 years left to recruit.  Players in the portal are looking at a one year deal anyway.  If May extends Ford then I really will be upset and yes I will cut my donations.

Extending Travis Ford at this point in he SLU tenure is lunacy and pure negligence. Most U's reward HC's for positive results. In Okie State's case T Boone bounced Ford after one losing season.  

28 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Extending Travis Ford at this point in he SLU tenure is lunacy and pure negligence. Most U's reward HC's for positive results. In Okie State's case T Boone bounced Ford after one losing season.  

I don't think "lunacy" is a fair word. Not counting the shortened COVID year, Ford has had 4 years straight of 21+ win seasons. Besides 3 years with Majerus players, we have NEVER come close to this level of consistency since Eddie Hickey (1947-1952). It has been a good 4-5 years if you look at our history as a baseline. 

I think we are all disappointed, but let's not go overboard here. 

41 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Almost 12 hours without a Ford bash. Guessing you were getting the shakes and had to let one loose. Especially, since your down a man now. 

AGB91 and dennis_w like this

28 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Uhhhh did everyone miss the veiled point here? I thought it was clearly a dry joke and or tongue in cheek. 

I'm not sure I'm ready to assume the amount good will and good faith from Shatsy that would be required to see that as dry humor.......

I think Travis Ford should be commended on stint at SLU.  He's certainly raised the profile from the Jim Crews era.  However given that SLU's facilities and spending far exceed their rivals in the A-10, I think we can do better.  I just don't think one NCAA appearance in 7 years is good enough.  It's time to cut bait.