7 full seasons

Fraz

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To all of you Ford haters, a simple question, does your incessant bitching about wanting the coach fired( even though you know it isn’t going to happen) help or hurt the current recruiting process? And, yes potential recruits and their family and friends read this board. Likewise our competition will be happy to pass this along as well. The fact is, if you were really fans of the program you would take a different approach, but you’re not. You’re like small children pitching a temper tantrum because you didn’t get your way. He’s averaged over 22 wins in the last 4 complete seasons, which is very respectable. The system is heavily rigged against the mid majors and every one knows it. Instead of constant bitching you should be figuring our how you can help, even in a small way, to get us over the top. 

Billiken Rich likes this

24 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

To all of you Ford haters, a simple question, does your incessant bitching about wanting the coach fired( even though you know it isn’t going to happen) help or hurt the current recruiting process? And, yes potential recruits and their family and friends read this board. Likewise our competition will be happy to pass this along as well. The fact is, if you were really fans of the program you would take a different approach, but you’re not. You’re like small children pitching a temper tantrum because you didn’t get your way. He’s averaged over 22 wins in the last 4 complete seasons, which is very respectable. The system is heavily rigged against the mid majors and every one knows it. Instead of constant bitching you should be figuring our how you can help, even in a small way, to get us over the top.

This won’t hold up next year. Consider me surprised if they finish 5th

28 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You can take the high road, I’ll be calling for Travis Fourth’s head as long as we underachieve.  It’s really not at all demanding for a fan base to ask the team to play to its capabilities

slu92 likes this

30 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

When did Gonzaga, Iona and St. Mary’s join P5? I apologize for just pointing out the obvious last 7 years and as far as running off potential recruits, based on Ford’s body of work at SLU I don’t think we are missing out on much. But Travis is an incredible recruiter, wait until next year, Sweet 16 or bust, best SLU team ever assembled 2.0 coming next season to midtown! Rinse and repeat. 

48 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

To all potential recruits if you want to play in NCAA or even NIT next few years please send your highlight videos to SEMO or MIZZOU. You’ve been warned. Travis Ford could have the 92 Dream Team in their prime and figure out a way to coach them to maybe at best a 4th place finish in A10. 

54 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

If CTF is fired it will help the program. Voicing our displeasure with underachieving puts pressure on the administration to change if results don't improve.   That change will be more impactful than your fictional recruit/recruit's parent reading a negative post on a message board. * Everyone should email AD May, @ Dr. Chaifetz etc to let the powers that be know we're not happy. 

* because CTF has demonstrated over 25 seasons he can't get it done no matter who is on the team.   He could have a Cousy Award finalist and miss the NIT, he could have one of the best rebounders in the A10 and miss the NIT, he could have one of the most prolific 3PT shooters to ever lace em up at SLU and miss the NIT.  Oh wait he did and they were all on the same team together..... with all that you don't even make it to the NIT!  With all that you finish 4th in a 1 bid (12 seed only made it because of automatic qualifying) conference.  Pathetic results, he's only not fired because we don't have the deep pockets of other programs.

TaLBErt and Spoon-Balls like this

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

First, having a problem with the performance of the program does not mean one is a Ford “hater.” I would love for nothing better than the program — and Coach Ford — to be successful. Per Stu’s tweet, this team’s KenPom defense rank deteriorated every year for the past 5 seasons — from 40th 5 years ago to 150th this season. It’s a metric the competition may use in recruiting battles. 

Bizziken likes this

In the end we were arguably the 2nd best team in the conference. A couple teams were as good but only VCU was better. A lot better. Historically 2nd best in conference got you a at large bid. This year the conference was too weak to warrant multiple bids. The reason was SLU and Dayton underperformed in the nonconference season along with virtually the entire conference. SLU and Dayton were actually the big reasons for their own demise. Not the conference. I think we will see a resumption of 2 or 3 bids in this conference. The problem is competing with the Mountain West now. The A10s loss has been their gain.

30 minutes ago, Fraz said:

You can take the high road, I’ll be calling for Travis Fourth’s head as long as we underachieve.  It’s really not at all demanding for a fan base to ask the team to play to its capabilities

It's hilarious that the Travis Ford supporters (I call Lovers) keep forgetting that almost every pre-season National Prediction had SLU as a Top 25 team and sure NCAA Dance Partner.  Then they jump all over people on this website who want more from the person who is responsible for coaching this team. So who is to blame for the failure this year if not him? Darn if it's not on him...has to be the players. To that I'd simply say who recruited the players? Some complain about the NET. Well there are other non-power 5 teams making the field this and frankly every year. I'd say grow some and figure out how to be good enough that NET is not a factor to get into the Tourney. In other words beat some good teams for a change, and for Cripes Sake Never lose to SIUE on your home floor with a double digit second half lead!

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

first i am extremely happy for the finish to the regular season and the A-10 tourney for coach Tillet.   but at this point in time, i'll play wait and see before i declare i want the men's version of her.    

if we were really going to switch the men's coach, i want SLU to go after a sure thing that will no doubt take us to the next level.   someone with the name and record you know that if they had the support they would immediately win and win big.   that wont be cheap, but that gives the fandom something to really get excited about.   you bring in an assistant or a low major head coach there will be no excitement until they win big.   that is the definition of a start over and almost assuredly will take 5 years minimum.   and before you throw mi$$ouri at me, if slu was truly willing to pay the bucks to play big in the NiL game, why didnt they go all the way and hire the big coach as well?

i think mi$$ouri far overachieved and probably got lucky with what they got in gates.   they were likely expecting a start over and gates found the right under the radar guys to do what he did.   it didnt hurt that they played the NET to a T with the weak non conference schedule. so i dont completely believe they are the pattern to follow.   in all likelihood, firing ford and hiring a nobody will get us the wait.   

Mizzou did not just get lucky with the hiring of Gates. Mizzou’s AD had him on her radar for a long time-she did her homework. She also took a ton of heat from the fan base for the hire. She also hired TJ Otzenberger at Nevada-he is taking Iowa State to the tourney this year. The same thing happened at K State this year. Roy, it can happen at SLU if the AD is ready when it’s time. May took a leap in hiring the volleyball coach. We’ll see.

All I know is if SLU had VCU’s program and style of play, Chaifitz would be packed every game.

1 hour ago, slu92 said:

When did Gonzaga, Iona and St. Mary’s join P5? I apologize for just pointing out the obvious last 7 years and as far as running off potential recruits, based on Ford’s body of work at SLU I don’t think we are missing out on much. But Travis is an incredible recruiter, wait until next year, Sweet 16 or bust, best SLU team ever assembled 2.0 coming next season to midtown! Rinse and repeat. 

Another person who can’t answer a simple yes or no question…

1 hour ago, slu92 said:

To all potential recruits if you want to play in NCAA or even NIT next few years please send your highlight videos to SEMO or MIZZOU. You’ve been warned. Travis Ford could have the 92 Dream Team in their prime and figure out a way to coach them to maybe at best a 4th place finish in A10. 

Semo? You would send your kid to SEMO over SLU? Fool, give me a break.

Just now, The Valley Sucks said:

Sometimes change is needed. After you go 0-7 with at large bids that time is now. Not sure how anyone can think this is ok. 

I'm ok with getting rid of Ford. I'm not ok with the same people stating the same post about it over and over and over. There are a hand full of tools that respond to every post with fire ford. The fact that some of us have had enough shouldn't surprise anyone.

2 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Dont count me as one of the group calling for TF to be fired.  To answer your question - I don't think its helpful if the fanbase is overwhelmed with negativity.    I do think that it is perfectly acceptable to ask legitimate questions about this performance and direction of this team.   Will TF be able to continue to bring in elevated level recruits?  I think there is more of a risk of potential recruits looking at this team's development and results more than what someone on this board says.   We had the best point guard in school history, perhaps the best shooter, pretty deep overall talent and were not even that much fun to watch.   I'm very disappointed but trying to remain positive.  

4 minutes ago, DOC said:

Chaifetz will never be empty. We have had 5000 season ticket holders for 30 years. Useless poster #1.

Never say never. There are multiple entertainment options to choose from now than there were 3 decades ago, and if choosing between either of them vs going to see a chronic underachieving men’s basketball program in the winter is the question presented to a casual fan, then I think we’re smart enough to figure out that answer.

Just now, BC1764 said:

Never say never. There are multiple entertainment options to choose from than there were 3 decades ago, and if choosing between either of them vs going to see a chronic underachieving men’s basketball program in the winter, then I think we’re smart enough to figure out that answer.

No, you're not smart enough. You constantly repeat yourself. That's called dumb. 

Just now, DOC said:

No, you're not smart enough. You constantly repeat yourself. That's called dumb. 

Another poster in denial and out of touch with today’s society. Not surprised considering the average age of the fanbase.