Fraz

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

More excuse making.

Nor was there an NCAA Tourney in 2020.  And 2021 was a mess.  14 - 7 season with a month with no games.  I am frustrated BUT have not yet given up on Coach Ford and the direction the program is moving.  Sorry if this pisses off many on the Billiken Board.

Billikenbooster likes this

2 hours ago, DOC said:

Those were facts not opinions/excuses you dumbass. 

More excuse making. Keep ‘em coming. I’m sure others like you will use Okoro’s injury as an excuse as to why Ford couldn’t get past the semifinals for three straight years in a row all year long. That’s what this program is all about.

I agree with WV Billiken.

We are all disappointed  and frustrated, knowing we are right there.. Feels like on a scavenger hunt, gotten everything we needed , get to the door and don't know the password. 

Ford seems to have bad luck, we had 2 of our highest rated recruits transfer out right away... 

Ford takes over from rock bottom?

12 wins first season, 17 wins ( winning record)

23 wins( NCAA )23 wins( no tournament) 14-7 ( Covid year,)23 wins( NIT)21 wins.  That's 4 20 win seasons,in 6 plus* year..

So 0 bids from 1957-1994. 37 seasons.  14 straight losing seasons. Who remembers 2 5 win seasons??  

I think Ford can recruit, yes!  Afraid Ford has a ceiling , maybe he has hit that , but with the transfer portal and NIL , maybe he can pull some magic...

We know what we have in Ford...

Yes we know what we have in Ford and that is the problem.  This idea that we did not play a full season in 2 of the 7 years is nonsense - all schools were faced with the same issues to more or less extent.  This settle attitude is concerning and once this takes hold it is over.

You have to have a plan before you fire a coach.   Brad had his highest win total in 5 years and made the conference semifinals the year he was fired.  They fired him because they had a chance to get a Hall of Famer.   Do we have a plan?   Is there a male version of Rebecca Tillett out there?   

Marlow likes this

1 minute ago, OkieBilliken said:

You have to have a plan before you fire a coach.   Brad had his highest win total in 5 years and made the conference semifinals the year he was fired.  They fired him because they had a chance to get a Hall of Famer.   Do we have a plan?   Is there a male version of Rebecca Tillett out there?   

first i am extremely happy for the finish to the regular season and the A-10 tourney for coach Tillet.   but at this point in time, i'll play wait and see before i declare i want the men's version of her.    

if we were really going to switch the men's coach, i want SLU to go after a sure thing that will no doubt take us to the next level.   someone with the name and record you know that if they had the support they would immediately win and win big.   that wont be cheap, but that gives the fandom something to really get excited about.   you bring in an assistant or a low major head coach there will be no excitement until they win big.   that is the definition of a start over and almost assuredly will take 5 years minimum.   and before you throw mi$$ouri at me, if slu was truly willing to pay the bucks to play big in the NiL game, why didnt they go all the way and hire the big coach as well?

i think mi$$ouri far overachieved and probably got lucky with what they got in gates.   they were likely expecting a start over and gates found the right under the radar guys to do what he did.   it didnt hurt that they played the NET to a T with the weak non conference schedule. so i dont completely believe they are the pattern to follow.   in all likelihood, firing ford and hiring a nobody will get us the wait.   

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/here-are-my-thoughts-on-the-travis-ford-situation/

History has a very strange way of repeating itself. Here is a before and after snippet of Ford’s career at OK State…..again tell my how and why anyone at SLU can defend keeping him with a straight face and what makes you think he is going to change? He is what he is and this program isn’t changing folks. 

F3DF0B9D-11F1-47E4-80A7-DF3CA5F7F6F8.jpeg

50 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Most are not saying fire Ford now - I wish some of you would stop this misrepresentation.  Yes a plan is important but we don't need it until possibly after next year.  Plenty of time to cross that bridge besides no on knows who would even be available then.  Calm down.

12 minutes ago, slu92 said:

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/platform/amp/2014/4/3/5546118/travis-ford-fired

More from OK State. Sound familiar? Please I honestly want someone to say something to convince me keeping things as they are makes the most sense. At end of the day we all care about SLU and what’s best. Have a good day everybody. 

OMG - put SLU in for OKS and it could easily be written about us.  Anybody who can't see the likeness are in utter denial.  I really hope May does not give him an extension.

18 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Nor was there an NCAA Tourney in 2020.  And 2021 was a mess.  14 - 7 season with a month with no games.  I am frustrated BUT have not yet given up on Coach Ford and the direction the program is moving.  Sorry if this pisses off many on the Billiken Board.

The realistic side of me believes this is how Chris May and many of the boosters/donors feel about Ford....

... which is precisely why my desire to support this program will continue to wane. And I imagine many other casual fans throughout the St. Louis region and across the country. I suppose the status quo is the norm for Billiken basketball. Anyone who is fine with this shite can keep on living in their own world but the rest of us are fed up.

It's "Show Me" time for Chris May, and if he can't then, well, I can't continue to follow this program or recommend it to anyone else. If Chris doesn't even have a short/medium term plan for Ford's replacement, then maybe he isn't the best person to be leading Billiken Basketball to the promised land....

The Valley Sucks likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

first i am extremely happy for the finish to the regular season and the A-10 tourney for coach Tillet.   but at this point in time, i'll play wait and see before i declare i want the men's version of her.    

if we were really going to switch the men's coach, i want SLU to go after a sure thing that will no doubt take us to the next level.   someone with the name and record you know that if they had the support they would immediately win and win big.   that wont be cheap, but that gives the fandom something to really get excited about.   you bring in an assistant or a low major head coach there will be no excitement until they win big.   that is the definition of a start over and almost assuredly will take 5 years minimum.   and before you throw mi$$ouri at me, if slu was truly willing to pay the bucks to play big in the NiL game, why didnt they go all the way and hire the big coach as well?

i think mi$$ouri far overachieved and probably got lucky with what they got in gates.   they were likely expecting a start over and gates found the right under the radar guys to do what he did.   it didnt hurt that they played the NET to a T with the weak non conference schedule. so i dont completely believe they are the pattern to follow.   in all likelihood, firing ford and hiring a nobody will get us the wait.   

Coach Billie Clyde Gillespie would be a sure thing!

Former Kentucky men's basketball coach Billy Gillispie is at Tarleton State, where he is still very much Billy Gillispie (espn.com)

Former Billiken Recruit and Kentucky Wildcats star had this to say about Billie Clyde:

"Coach Gillispie is a very smart coach. He knew basketball. I don't think he had the best way of teaching it. But I'm very thankful for what he did. He made all of us mentally tough. He made all three of us [Harrellson, Darius Miller and DeAndrew Liggins] be able to do things we've never been able to do before. It's probably why we're here today, because of how mentally tough he made us." 

Sounds like the second coming of Rick Majerus!

24 minutes ago, Compton said:

Unfortunately, it wasn't nonsense. The tournaments (A10 and at least NIT) and games (12 or so) we missed were very real.

Way to only quote part of the post I made.  You left off the part where I said all schools dealt with the same issues more or less.  If you want to have a reasonable discussion then be fair about it.  

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Yes we know what we have in Ford and that is the problem.  This idea that we did not play a full season in 2 of the 7 years is nonsense - all schools were faced with the same issues to more or less extent.  This settle attitude is concerning and once this takes hold it is over.

I'm not saying that Ford doesn't deserve criticism for parts of his tenure, but this doesn't help your argument. It didn't hurt all teams equally. Those two seasons just so happened to coincide with Ford's two most talented teams - both which finished the regular season with Top 50 NET rankings and right on the bubble. The 2020-21 team had I believe the second longest COVID shutdowns in the country at over 30 days, yet still wound up among the first four out.

32 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm not saying that Ford doesn't deserve criticism for parts of his tenure, but this doesn't help your argument. It didn't hurt all teams equally. Those two seasons just so happened to coincide with Ford's two most talented teams - both which finished the regular season with Top 50 NET rankings and right on the bubble. The 2020-21 team had I believe the second longest COVID shutdowns in the country at over 30 days, yet still wound up among the first four out.

Of course it didn't hurt all teams equally nor are all seasons or schedules equal for all schools.  Let me ask you this - do you think he only took partial salary payments?  I doubt it and if he did then tell me what discount he gave.  My point is simply that he should be treated as all coaches were no better no worse.  Obviously the year the NCAA Dance was canceled is not any coach's fault but they all are counting their records in their winning/losing % I bet.