Congratulations Yuri

BLIKNS

Actually, IMO he is making a mistake leaving college basketball after this year.  Too small and not a good enough shooter to make the NBA or the sub-NBA.  Lower level Europe or Aussie  league at best.  He might do better financially on NIL $$$ at SLU and getting a post-college job in the area.

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

Actually, IMO he is making a mistake leaving college basketball after this year.  Too small and not a good enough shooter to make the NBA or the sub-NBA.  Lower level Europe or Aussie  league at best.  He might do better financially on NIL $$$ at SLU and getting a post-college job in the area.

He has done everything he can here. His pro prospects aren’t going to improve by staying. Turn pro and see how it goes unless you get a big NIL deal with a big time program.

1 minute ago, kmbilliken said:

He has done everything he can here. His pro prospects aren’t going to improve by staying. Turn pro and see how it goes unless you get a big NIL deal with a big time program.

I wish him luck, but I don’t see him as an NBA player, or even catching on in the G league. Good luck to him.

Yuri is a euro player.. his style may do well in Europe. In the NBA and even G league those guys can make their own shot and don't need a passing guy who can't shoot and is short by basketball standards.

I think his smaller stature and ability to set up may excel at euro style basketball. I expect to see him there.

6 hours ago, Soderball said:

Yuri is a euro player.. his style may do well in Europe. In the NBA and even G league those guys can make their own shot and don't need a passing guy who can't shoot and is short by basketball standards.

I think his smaller stature and ability to set up may excel at euro style basketball. I expect to see him there.

And can’t guard.  The NBA talk is ridiculous imo

12 hours ago, bauman said:

Yuri is not giving up on basketball in any way. He majored in sports business. Ridiculous. I could see him going to a program likely to make the Tournament(the real one) next year.

SLU isnt doing anything next year. The roster is barren.

6 hours ago, Soderball said:

Yuri is not giving up on basketball in any way. He majored in sports business. Ridiculous. I could see him going to a program likely to make the Tournament(the real one) next year.

SLU isnt doing anything next year. The roster is barren.

We will know what the roster looks like by August.  Then we will see if it’s barren.

48 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

We will know what the roster looks like by August.  Then we will see if it’s barren.

You're right given the transfer portal. We will have to see how things pan out. I'm not optimistic, but you are right that we don't know yet.

We also have to see the full extent of guys that we lose.

CenHudDude likes this

47 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

That is an exclusive list of players.  Congratulations to Yuri!

PS:  Trinity product Ryan Kalkbrenner made the list, albeit with a typo : "Ryan Falkbrenner, Creighton"

Kalkbrenner sure could have made a difference at SLU, but he landed in the right spot,

Dr Bird likes this

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, brianstl said:

I never heard of the Cleo Hill Award, so i looked it up.  Here is what Google says;

• The Cleo Hill award is one of five new awards named after legendary HBCU players, which will highlight the top players in all levels of college basketball. The objective is to recognize the top student athletes in college basketball, while bringing long overdue attention to some of the best players to ever play the game.

Mickey Buscetto won the Cleo Hill Award in 2022.  

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I never heard of the Cleo Hill Award, so i looked it up.  Here is what Google says;

• The Cleo Hill award is one of five new awards named after legendary HBCU players, which will highlight the top players in all levels of college basketball. The objective is to recognize the top student athletes in college basketball, while bringing long overdue attention to some of the best players to ever play the game.

Mickey Buscetto won the Cleo Hill Award in 2022.  

It is apparently just given to the national leader in assists per game. Cleo Hill apparently scored a lot of points, though. Confusing. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

It is apparently just given to the national leader in assists per game. Cleo Hill apparently scored a lot of points, though. Confusing. 

National leader in assists across all divisions.