GDT: A10 Tournament - George Mason

Broadcast mentioned a good reason for the off day Friday,  to allow people to travel in for the last games. Makes sense. 

Anyway my stream stopped  in the ladst 4 minutes did they empty the bench?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

I was hoping you'd tell us..............

No knowledge why he  didn’t play in the second half. On the bench in a long sleeve T-shirt.

I suspect he may have tweaked his earlier knee or ankle injury and they just shut him down. But didn’t see him gimpy at any point.

What a game - all Billiken sins are forgiven at least for a couple of days. Every player in the 9/10 man rotation contributed. Okoro and Forrester were alternated well to keep risk of foul trouble in check, add some scoring, and dominate the boards, and Cisse also was able to make meaningful contribution in his 7 minutes. Hargrove was opportunistic as usual and provided great defense. Parker and Hughes played well and made great plays and good decisions. Pickett was brilliant in flashes without forced shots. Jimerson got rave reviews for his all-around game. Even Collins' poor shooting at start of game worked out, because he then switched to distributing the ball - this worked better than usual pattern of lots of assists early, then switching to individual offense later in game. Perkins did not have his great game last night, but he played the right amount to still position him as offensive force in the games to come. The entire team provided consistent effort throughout, did not let the other team get back into the game, and won going away. Ford kept the zone in place when it was working well. Our depth and up side make us a threat for all the remaining games.

majerus mojo likes this

2 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-Franco, when you set a screen I suggest you plant your feet, yesterday on your moving screen foul where you raised your arms in disbelief your feet were moving A LOT, just be planted for a count or two and know when your feet are moving

You should DM him this on twitter…..

not really. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

not really. 

Because you already did....stalker.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

not really. 

It is frustrating.  It would be SO much better if those fouls were for playing aggressive defense.  Moving screens are like travelling, it seems like both are present and could be called on almost every possession ......... 

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

It is frustrating.  It would be SO much better if those fouls were for playing aggressive defense.  Moving screens are like travelling, it seems like both are present and could be called on almost every possession ......... 

Also feels like a team problem. Okoro is the worst, but Jake also isn't very good, Perk moves early and luckily never gets called. 

19 hours ago, Adman said:

No knowledge why he  didn’t play in the second half. On the bench in a long sleeve T-shirt.

I suspect he may have tweaked his earlier knee or ankle injury and they just shut him down. But didn’t see him gimpy at any point.

I watched the press conference interviews today of Travis and Pickett. No questions to either of them on Pickett's use in the 2nd half. Nothing this morning in Stu Durando's reporting in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, or on Twitter, either.

So I thought maybe I didn't have it right, maybe he DID play in the 2nd half. So I checked the official play-by-play in the second half. He had a bucket at 17:21 (assisted by Yuri.) But that's the last mention of him. Did not score, get a rebound, have an assist, have a turnover, commit a foul, get a steal, have a block, or miss a shot from the field or the free throw line.

I'm guessing that sometime shortly after his 17:21 bucket as the Bills were pulling away, Travis just decided not to risk further aggravating his previous knee and ankle injuries. Save him for tomorrow. It's the only logical explanation.

Also think that if he truly was injured, there's no way Travis would have allowed him to be one of just three players participating in the press conference today. He would have been asked about it, putting him in a tight spot of how to answer.

Matty Light likes this

1 minute ago, Adman said:

I watched the press conference interviews today of Travis and Pickett. No questions to either of them on Pickett's use in the 2nd half. Nothing this morning in Stu Durando's reporting in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, or on Twitter, either.

So I thought maybe I didn't have it right, maybe he DID play in the 2nd half. So I checked the official play-by-play in the second half. He had a bucket at 17:21 (assisted by Yuri.) But that's the last mention of him. Did not score, get a rebound, have an assist, have a turnover, commit a foul, get a steal, have a block, or miss a shot from the field or the free throw line.

I'm guessing that sometime shortly his 17:21 bucket as the Bills were pulling away, Travis just decided not to risk further aggravating his previous knee and ankle injuries. Save him for tomorrow. It's the only logical explanation.

Also think that if he truly was injured, there's no way Travis would have allowed him to be one of just three players participating in the press conference today. He would have been asked about it, putting him in a tight spot of how to answer.

How did non of the journos in the room ask what the hell clicked yesterday.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Excellent question. Not sure. I can only guess two things: 1) questions like that were likely asked yesterday post-game (or should have been);  2) in the case of Stu, he asked the players and coach a question about the St. Louis area connections between many players on the team. If I were guessing, that will be the subject of his game-day story tomorrow (or Sunday.) We'll see.

18 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

It's hard to cheer for Dayton, ever, but if they are banged up, I hope they beat Fordham.  That Fordham crowd was menacing at the game yesterday.  I would rather meet a depleted Dayton team that we just be recently.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

From a defense standpoint I think having a dedicated strategy much different had everyone focused in on their jobs. Lord knows our base defense has everyone lackadaisical for some strange reason. We all saw it this whole regular season.

Basketball is a game of runs. We've never been able to have a long sustained run because we are always trading baskets. We don't get many turnovers and if we do get a stop, we either turn it over or give up a 3. The math don't work trading baskets unless you get a long chain of 3s for 2s. It was freaking great to finally see that big run yesterday. If we can keep the focus on defense we should see more against VCU.

9 minutes ago, Adman said:

Excellent question. Not sure. I can only guess two things: 1) questions like that were likely asked yesterday post-game (or should have been);  2) in the case of Stu, he asked the players and coach a question about the St. Louis area connections between many players on the team. If I were guessing, that will be the subject of his game-day story tomorrow (or Sunday.) We'll see.

Absolutely the most useless question of the bunch. 

Adman likes this

Even though we hit 80 pts our D was the key factor. Tying up Oduro, usually double teamed and harassed, frustrated him for the most part. And the zone pretty much kept Polite a non factor. Play good D good things happen, so says Captain Obvious. 
Pickett’s absence in the 2nd half was a little confusing seeing as how well he played in the first half. Hopefully, it was a precautionary move and nothing too serious. Gonnna need all hands on deck tomorrow. 

I’m concerned about Fordham over VCU or Dayton. They seem to have found another gear. Going to be tough regardless but if we play like we did yesterday….going to be tough to beat. I’m very hopeful for the first time in a long time! Go Bills!

2 minutes ago, slu92 said:

I’m concerned about Fordham over VCU or Dayton. They seem to have found another gear. Going to be tough regardless but if we play like we did yesterday….going to be tough to beat. I’m very hopeful for the first time in a long time! Go Bills!

They beat LaSalle in what amounted to a home game.