Retired/Honored Jerseys

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

I personally didn’t like to overly rip Yuri since I blame a lot of the things that frustrated me on the coaching staff for not building a more complete roster around him and playing a style that relied on more player and ball movement vs. Yuri having to create everything for the offense. Yuri is a heck of a player and it is a shame as a fan I just felt ready for him to move on. But, so much of that was not having other play makers on the roster. I wish things played out differently for him at SLU with regards to team success, but I enjoyed watching him (never seen a kid pass the ball like him, really incredible) and am glad he decided to stay home and be a Billiken. Good luck to the young man, but I’m not for hanging his jersey.

Well said…if Jordair Jett doesn’t get that honor I have a hard time doing it for just about anyone else.

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I personally didn’t like to overly rip Yuri since I blame a lot of the things that frustrated me on the coaching staff for not building a more complete roster around him and playing a style that relied on more player and ball movement vs. Yuri having to create everything for the offense. Yuri is a heck of a player and it is a shame as a fan I just felt ready for him to move on. But, so much of that was not having other play makers on the roster. I wish things played out differently for him at SLU with regards to team success, but I enjoyed watching him (never seen a kid pass the ball like him, really incredible) and am glad he decided to stay home and be a Billiken. Good luck to the young man, but I’m not for hanging his jersey.

Good post, and to be clear I’m not advocating that he should have his jersey retired or anything either. I’ve tried my best to avoid Yuri discourse on here because admittedly it’s hard for me to be subjective. I do think he unfairly took a lot of the criticism for this year’s team falling short of expectations, and hope that in time fans will be able to appreciate how good of a player he was for us. 

Adman and billikenbill like this

2 hours ago, stmdragons said:

Good post, and to be clear I’m not advocating that he should have his jersey retired or anything either. I’ve tried my best to avoid Yuri discourse on here because admittedly it’s hard for me to be subjective. I do think he unfairly took a lot of the criticism for this year’s team falling short of expectations, and hope that in time fans will be able to appreciate how good of a player he was for us. 

I appreciate Yuri, but you can’t be disappointed in this season and not be disappointed in Yuri. His poor defense  was maddening at times. His consistent poor play late in games will be hard to forget as well. As far as retiring his jersey? Please

I'm going to write a ton more on these players and their legacies at SLU in the next few days but a little on Yuri.

I've been mild in my criticism but he deserves a lot of blame for this season. 

That doesn't take away from his records or his personal accomplishments.

His defenders cling to those a bit too much. 

Then we have over the top posts like he needs his jersey retired. On Carter's spaces Isabel was saying his jersey should be retired. To me this is borderline ridiculous. Statements like this make Yuri's "detractors" like me double down on the negative aspects of his game as a balance to this.

Yuri is a great Billiken. Top 20 all time. His peers though are Gray, Douglas, Lisch, Perry, not Bonner, Claggs, Jett and Hughes. I think reasonable people can agree on this. 

rgbilliken, dlarry and MB73 like this

3 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I'm going to write a ton more on these players and their legacies at SLU in the next few days but a little on Yuri.

I've been mild in my criticism but he deserves a lot of blame for this season. 

That doesn't take away from his records or his personal accomplishments.

His defenders cling to those a bit too much. 

Then we have over the top posts like he needs his jersey retired. On Carter's spaces Isabel was saying his jersey should be retired. To me this is borderline ridiculous. Statements like this make Yuri's "detractors" like me double down on the negative aspects of his game as a balance to this.

Yuri is a great Billiken. Top 20 all time. His peers though are Gray, Douglas, Lisch, Perry, not Bonner, Claggs, Jett and Hughes. I think reasonable people can agree on this. 

Retiring Larry Sr. would honestly make more sense. In one year he achieved more than any of the guys on this roster. Justin Love did more. Certainly arguments for Jett, Mitchell, Evans make more sense. Harry Rogers or Joe Wiley even makes more sense to me.

Stats without results are not worthwhile.

Also you corrected me on Bonner. I agree with your closing statement in this post.

Collins isn't even the best talent on this current roster. Jimerson is an elite level shooter and one of the best offensive players I've seen in a SLU uniform. That talent for squandered.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:13 AM, thetorch said:

I really don't know what the standard is.  There doesn't appear to be one.

Ray Steiner was an AA and doesn't have his number retired.  He was a transfer from MO but does have a degree.

Lou Lehman, Jim Mclaughlin, Harold Alcorn, Jimmy Irving, David Burns, Bonner, Claggett, Hughes, & Jett all were HM AAs.

Macauley is the only consensus AA, named on all the teams.  Boushka, Ferry, & Steiner were all named on at least 1 team but not consensus.  Don't know why Bonner has one and not Steiner, except that Bonner is the all time leading scorer and led the nation in rebounding but he was never a conference POY.  Claggett, Burns, & Jett were.  

Yuri will end up leading the nation in a stat.

There really is no rhyme or reason.

Steiner as a AA and Claggett as a HM, POY and all time leading scorer of a conference have the best case for retired numbers.

One name to add to you list, Luther Burden was an HM All-American.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

One name to add to you list, Luther Burden was an HM All-American.

Where do you see that?  He was all conference one season but not POY.  I don't see him on any lists I have.

27 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

1284 total points, 1256 total rebounds, 398 blocks

Retire #42

Out of reactions, but she would be a fitting first. A-10 Defensive PoY 2 years in a row as well.

E: fitting first for the women.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour

Recency bias is a thing.

Kemph is the most deserving Womens player to have her number retired and its not close.  I'll say Flowers is second. I would have no problem retiring both their numbers.  This should be done fairly soon.

AGB91 likes this

20 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Recency bias is a thing.

Kemph is the most deserving Womens player to have her number retired and its not close.  I'll day Flowers is second. I would have no problem retiring both their numbers.  This should be done fairly soon.

Jackie Kemph - 1894 pts, 899 assists

Great call, retire #3

Why not two retired numbers for the women?

AGB91 likes this

15 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Jackie Kemph - 1894 pts, 899 assists

Great call, retire #3

Why not two retired numbers for the women?

Absolutely, retire them together, make a big thing of it.

15 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

She didn't make the tournament right? Thought that's all we cared about?

Don't bring in the Yuri nonsense to this conversation.  Making the tournament is an enormous factor but not the end all be all.  I certainly never said it was the only factor.

Especially with a program that has made 1 tournament.  Kemph and Flowers should both be retired frankly along with 3-4 additional mens players.