Retired/Honored Jerseys

What are your thoughts on the Bills, potentially, adding Yuri’s jersey to those hanging at Chaifetz?

The school is very selective with players’ numbers and jerseys hanging in the rafters (with only 4 players, I think).

Has Yuri done enough to earn this honor? I go back and forth.

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

Hell No.

We have All Americans without jerseys in the rafters.

I think we should give out more recognition in this form, but Yuri can get in line. A dozen players more deserving at a minimum.

Just curious, what all Americans don’t have their jersey retired? 

9 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

The "all-americans" they give to conference POYs. Jordair was HM All-American. 

Hughes was HMAA as well, but don't think he won CPOY

2 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Jett and Goodwin(among others) should definitely be ahead of Yuri in line, but not French and Evans

Kwamain too imo. I think Yuri has the resume for the most part. Just no NCAAs - you can't put a modern guy with no NCAAs on a banner. Bonner is all-time leading scorer so he gets a pass

So is the current standard four-year all Americans? I think Jordair should be there (Honorable Mention or not, idc). What if Yuri is named an all-American? It’s not likely but could be possible since he’s already been named a top 5 pg in the country. 

46 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I really don't know what the standard is.  There doesn't appear to be one.

Ray Steiner was an AA and doesn't have his number retired.  He was a transfer from MO but does have a degree.

Lou Lehman, Jim Mclaughlin, Harold Alcorn, Jimmy Irving, David Burns, Bonner, Claggett, Hughes, & Jett all were HM AAs.

Macauley is the only consensus AA, named on all the teams.  Boushka, Ferry, & Steiner were all named on at least 1 team but not consensus.  Don't know why Bonner has one and not Steiner, except that Bonner is the all time leading scorer and led the nation in rebounding but he was never a conference POY.  Claggett, Burns, & Jett were.  

Yuri will end up leading the nation in a stat.

There really is no rhyme or reason.

Steiner as a AA and Claggett as a HM, POY and all time leading scorer of a conference have the best case for retired numbers.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Ray Steiner was an AA and doesn't have his number retired.  He was a transfer from MO but does have a degree.

Lou Lehman, Jim Mclaughlin, Harold Alcorn, Jimmy Irving, David Burns, Bonner, Claggett, Hughes, & Jett all were HM AAs.

Macauley is the only consensus AA, named on all the teams.  Boushka, Ferry, & Steiner were all named on at least 1 team but not consensus.  Don't know why Bonner has one and not Steiner, except that Bonner is the all time leading scorer and led the nation in rebounding but he was never a conference POY.  Claggett, Burns, & Jett were.  

Steiner as a AA and Claggett as a HM, POY and all time leading scorer of a conference have the best case for retired numbers.

I'm sure if you're borderline, you could donate a bunch of money to get your shirt hung in the rafters. Jamie Swanner made his jersey retirement part of his contract to be an assistant for the Ambush. 

While I personally think more highly of guys like Mitchell because of their complete games, I do thinking leading the nation in a stat certainly counts for a lot.

That being said I'd also be inclined to think his resume isn't quite there.

On 3/9/2023 at 12:09 AM, thunderdan said:

What are your thoughts on the Bills, potentially, adding Yuri’s jersey to those hanging at Chaifetz?

The school is very selective with players’ numbers and jerseys hanging in the rafters (with only 4 players, I think).

Has Yuri done enough to earn this honor? I go back and forth.

He has zero tournaments. Zero NCAA appearances.

Z e r o. 0. Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

Not only do we not retire the number, but his entire career is forgettable.

Stats are the worst thing to ever happen to sports. Listen to you guys. Shameful. More worried about stats than about wins.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:13 AM, thetorch said:

Bonner has an NBA championship ring.

Do any of those other guys? Ok.

Just now, Soderball said:

He has zero tournaments. Zero NCAA appearances.

Z e r o. 0. Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

Not only do we not retire the number, but his entire career is forgettable.

Stats are the worst thing to ever happen to sports. Listen to you guys. Shameful. More worried about stats than about wins.

Dude.......you've got issues.......

9 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

Will be very interesting to see who this board’s new whipping boy is next season now that Yuri is gone. 

I personally didn’t like to overly rip Yuri since I blame a lot of the things that frustrated me on the coaching staff for not building a more complete roster around him and playing a style that relied on more player and ball movement vs. Yuri having to create everything for the offense. Yuri is a heck of a player and it is a shame as a fan I just felt ready for him to move on. But, so much of that was not having other play makers on the roster. I wish things played out differently for him at SLU with regards to team success, but I enjoyed watching him (never seen a kid pass the ball like him, really incredible) and am glad he decided to stay home and be a Billiken. Good luck to the young man, but I’m not for hanging his jersey.

Hook97 and billikenbill like this