History and Ranking of MBB coaches at SLU

I am not old enough to know all of them but

from what I can remember or modern history recalls: After Eddie Hickey and John Bennington we could skip to very entertaining Spoonball with 4 guards and a rebounder, Majerus-briefly and now Travis Ford. For my money Ford gives us perpetual 

recruiting hope. NCAA basketball is such a big business and so competitive catching a shooting star might be an easier task. 

Every two or three years some Coach out of 200 plus trying- elbows onto the stage.

Most basketball fans in Saint Louis are tired of being disappointed; but, they are kidding themselves if they think we have been closer.

We have seen more local talent stay or come back to us in Ford’s reign than ever.

We have had many years of being shunned by the “local basketball elite” Names like Hughes, Thames, Picket, Gordon, Thatch, etc. did not consider playing at home. Sure we missed on Kern and lots of others but my guess is they now wonder why they did not stay home.

10 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

from what I can remember or modern history recalls: After Eddie Hickey and John Bennington we could skip to very entertaining Spoonball with 4 guards and a rebounder, Majerus-briefly and now Travis Ford. For my money Ford gives us perpetual 

recruiting hope. NCAA basketball is such a big business and so competitive catching a shooting star might be an easier task. 

Every two or three years some Coach out of 200 plus trying- elbows onto the stage.

Most basketball fans in Saint Louis are tired of being disappointed; but, they are kidding themselves if they think we have been closer.

We have seen more local talent stay or come back to us in Ford’s reign than ever.

We have had many years of being shunned by the “local basketball elite” Names like Hughes, Thames, Picket, Gordon, Thatch, etc. did not consider playing at home. Sure we missed on Kern and lots of others but my guess is they now wonder why they did not stay home.

-I think there are some words missing

7 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

For some reason I thought this thread might include a history and ranking of men's basketall coaches at SLU. My mistake. 

thetorch and SLU_Nick like this

2 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

As I avoid grading...

1. Majerus

2. Spoonhour

3. Romar

4. Ford

5. Soderberg 

6. Crews

I only know the legend of Grawer, but he would probably be 3.

I think Grawer at 3 is a fair assessment. He did the most with the least.

You can’t rank coaches until you define the criteria. If you use NCAA trips then Romar Ford are the same.   Grawer  never went but is that a fair measure of his time?  What about Polk didn’t he have a similar winning % as Grawer?  Nice topic to knock about but maybe GoSLU88 can set some up since he start the thread. 

I don’t think Romar gets the credit he deserves sometimes.  In three seasons he went to one NCAA tournament, beat the number one team in the country and in his worst season he still finished 86th in kenpom. Romar’s worst season ranks 7th best in of all Billiken seasons in the history of kenpom’s ranking system.

cgeldmacher likes this

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don’t think Romar gets the credit he deserves sometimes.  In three seasons he went to one NCAA tournament, beat the number one team in the country and in his worst season he still finished 86th in kenpom. Romar’s worst season ranks 7th best in of all Billiken seasons in the history of kenpom’s ranking system.

My problem with Romar is after the 2000 miracle in Memphis year, and a dance invite, in 2001 he returned basically the same team, but they really did nothing. Also, it took him a couple of years to come up with a recruiting strategy. 

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Grawer > Ford > Romar

we all agree that grawer saved Billiken basketball.   but let's not forget with 3 of the best talents in Billiken history, douglas, gray and especially anthony bonner, he couldnt beat xavier just once to get us to the tourney.    both ford and romar made the tourney.  

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we all agree that grawer saved Billiken basketball.   but let's not forget with 3 of the best talents in Billiken history, douglas, gray and especially anthony bonner, he couldnt beat xavier just once to get us to the tourney.    both ford and romar made the tourney.  

Remember when they went to the conference tournament expecting to lose early and when they ended up winning they had maxed out the credit card they had and need to have someone bring money.  Crazy AD department then.  

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The 02-03 team - comprised largely of his guys - was a good one.  Had he stuck around another year, I think he would've taken them to the tournament.

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

We lost in the finals three times in that era.  If we could've just won one of them, it would've been incredible.

billiken_roy likes this

Wasn't implying it was on Grawer, just what could have been .  

Kind one of the talking points , like Blake Ahern and going to the Missouri Valley 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Craig Upchurch ... Had the Administration admitted the qualifying Upchurch, I believe SLU would have ended that Xavier hex.

Adman likes this

10 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

As I avoid grading...

1. Majerus

2. Spoonhour

3. Romar

4. Ford

5. Soderberg 

6. Crews

I only know the legend of Grawer, but he would probably be 3.

Can’t argue with this. 
You can make an argument for Grawer before or after Roman. 

Speaking of Spoon, has anyone heard what Jay is doing now and is he trying to get back into coaching after getting snubbed by UNLV, not getting the SEMO job a couple different times, and having to go to the mess that EIU is and not having the success most of us had hoped?  He needs to be coaching.  

33 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Speaking of Spoon, has anyone heard what Jay is doing now and is he trying to get back into coaching after getting snubbed by UNLV, not getting the SEMO job a couple different times, and having to go to the mess that EIU is and not having the success most of us had hoped?  He needs to be coaching.  

If you're looking for a way off of the restricted list, insulting off-topic comments probably isn't the way to go.

22 hours ago, Compton said:

If you're looking for a way off of the restricted list, insulting off-topic comments probably isn't the way to go.

Curious how this is insulting?  Is it off-topic…I’ll give you that one, because I’m asking about a former assistant and not a HC.  I clearly said Spoon needs to be coaching. That’s insulting?  I said he was snubbed by UNLV (that means I feel he should have gotten the job).  He was also snubbed by SEMO at least once (again—he should have gotten the job). That’s insulting?  EIU is one of the worst D1 jobs in America and he didn’t win there (no surprise…nobody ever will).  I think if you asked Jay, he would say he didn’t get the results he wanted.  That’s being insulting?  What is it with some of you?  Spoonhour faced the media for Quinn Snyder when Snyder was too much of a wuss to do it himself while at Mizzou.  Spoon won a National Championship at the Juco level.  He needs to at least be on a staff somewhere.  I was curious where he was.  I fail to see the negativity here.

23 hours ago, BANGheGOTit said:

His son is a soph guard at Vianney I believe.