Collins: Cousy Award Finalist

Great for Yuri. I'm a big fan, but it kinda makes the "unknown" thing seem silly. He probably embraced that slogan to serve as motivation, but SLU is a big enough program that if you are good enough, you will get national recognition. 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Look he’s an incredibly talented passer but he has on more than one occasion single handedly lost or nearly lost us games by stacking bad decisions on bad decisions 

He's also directly responsible for almost half of the teams 2300 points this season. He's made some bad decisions, like every other college ball player, but the good easily outweighs the bad. 

slufanskip likes this

7 hours ago, ACE said:

Great for Yuri. I'm a big fan, but it kinda makes the "unknown" thing seem silly. He probably embraced that slogan to serve as motivation, but SLU is a big enough program that if you are good enough, you will get national recognition. 

Read the comments of the instagram post. Unknown is and has been fitting.

Our most impressive win this year. Providence. The person who won that game. Yuri.

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

Congrats to Yurimania. Put an exclamation on it and lead us to the title! 

And the A-10 title before we get there!!

19 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Look he’s an incredibly talented passer but he has on more than one occasion single handedly lost or nearly lost us games by stacking bad decisions on bad decisions 

This is just a ridiculous statement. Has he made bad decisions that contributed to a loss? Sure, so has every college basketball player in the country and he's contributed more to wins than any player on the roster. He hasn't had any larger of an effect on losses than GJim's poor shooting in big games. Maybe you should review some of the losses. 

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

This is just a ridiculous statement. Has he made bad decisions that contributed to a loss? Sure, so has every college basketball player in the country and he's contributed more to wins than any player on the roster. He hasn't had any larger of an effect on losses than GJim's poor shooting in big games. Maybe you should review some of the losses. 

Look, all I'm saying at the end of the day is that I believe in him as a passer, but I don't think he's a good leader. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Look, all I'm saying at the end of the day is that I believe in him as a passer, but I don't think he's a good leader. 

Leaders come in all types. Some are vocal, some are quiet and lead by example. I'd bet those close to the team and at practice daily disagree. That wasn't your precious statement though and honestly, I think leadership is hard to judge from the outside looking in. I've knpwn and witnessed very vocal people that looked like they were leaders from the outside, yet had little respect and weren't thought of as leaders by those supposedly being led

I don’t necessarily believe it is fully Yuri’s fault he isn’t as impactful as his assist totals would indicate. There are certainly things I wish he would have done to round out his game, notably shoot more from deep to keep defenses honest and not drive directly into shot blockers multiple times a game. However I think there’s a pretty significant case that the roster construction around him simply was clunky. Not enough guys who can create for themselves, and a scheme overly reliant on Yuri making opportunities for others. As much as I like Gibson and Javonte, they just aren’t dynamic (this year in the case of Javonte) enough off the dribble, and a lot of their scoring was dependent on Yuri breaking down the defense first. We saw how disastrous that plan is against a team like Fordham, who took him out of the game completely. 

Yuri undoubtedly is the best passer we will ever see in a Billiken uniform. He’s also a flawed player who would have been better served with a different supporting cast. I’ll miss him a lot, but also hope our roster next year doesn’t have to rely on one player this much. 

stmdragons likes this

8 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I don’t necessarily believe it is fully Yuri’s fault he isn’t as impactful as his assist totals would indicate. There are certainly things I wish he would have done to round out his game, notably shoot more from deep to keep defenses honest and not drive directly into shot blockers multiple times a game. However I think there’s a pretty significant case that the roster construction around him simply was clunky. Not enough guys who can create for themselves, and a scheme overly reliant on Yuri making opportunities for others. As much as I like Gibson and Javonte, they just aren’t dynamic (this year in the case of Javonte) enough off the dribble, and a lot of their scoring was dependent on Yuri breaking down the defense first. We saw how disastrous that plan is against a team like Fordham, who took him out of the game completely. 

Yuri undoubtedly is the best passer we will ever see in a Billiken uniform. He’s also a flawed player who would have been better served with a different supporting cast. I’ll miss him a lot, but also hope our roster next year doesn’t have to rely on one player this much. 

Bingo

As a point of comparison, the 2020-21 roster had, in addition to Yuri and Gibby, JGood and Jacobs.  This team was way too thin at guard. 

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

Bingo

As a point of comparison, the 2020-21 roster had, in addition to Yuri and Gibby, JGood and Jacobs.  This team was way too thin at guard. 

Man, DJ would have been fantastic on this team. Combo guard who is a solid defender. Had a pretty decent season at Ball State too! 

Yuri is our QB. More praise than he deserves for wins and more blame than he deserves for losses.

The biggest contributing factor to this teams losses wasn’t anything Yuri or anybody else did on offense. It was the complete lack of desire to play defense or the inability to play man to man defense.