Transfers - 2023

ACE

20 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont care if it is $17,500 this is proof we needed to be all in on Nil.   I hate this nonsense, but it is what it is and now college basketball cant put the toothpaste back in the tube.  we needed to go all in initially banking on hitting the March Jackpot with hopes that would jumpstart us to the future.   i fear this is the beginning of the end.   D3 coming in the next 10 years?

Oh Jesus Christ.

Hyperbole City.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

That is exactly on point. Spend all the money you want on NIL deals for players, there is NO guarantee of an NCAA appearance or any success for that matter. A lot of people tend to forget that

If you have a coach who is not good at his job then all the NIL money will not get what you want.  It is a dual issue - the players must perform who you buy and the coach needs to coach them well.  

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Worth the risk.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.  If it's not, I can't decide if I agree with it.  On one hand desperate times, desperate measures.  He'd probably the the most talented player on the team at a position of need.  On the other, he's got so much baggage he'd have to pay extra on Southwest.

JMM28 likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Worth the risk.

I don't know anything about Gordon's motivations, but the era of kids leaving an otherwise good situation to chase 5, 10 or $20K is upon us.

Not that they shouldn't. But "I like it here, have learned a lot, and have made good friends and relationships" is often not going to be enough to hold onto marketable players. Sucks for schools like Grambling State with limited financial support/resources.

7 minutes ago, Compton said:

I don't know anything about Gordon's motivations, but the era of kids leaving an otherwise good situation to chase 5, 10 or $20K is upon us.

Not that they shouldn't. But "I like it here, have learned a lot, and have made good friends and relationships" is often not going to be enough to hold onto marketable players. Sucks for schools like Grambling State with limited financial support/resources.

I don't think he is leaving Grambling to chase money, unless it is bond money. He is leaving because he got arrested for invading a dorm room with a gun. 

They, like every school in his past, are glad to see Carteare go. 

dlarry and Pistol like this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

I don't think he is leaving Grambling to chase money, unless it is bond money. He is leaving because he got arrested for invading a dorm room with a gun. 

This line made me laugh harder than I expected.

Yeah, he's still sorting through some legal issues. My "worth the risk" comment was tongue in cheek. We could absolutely use a player like him but everything beyond that is a problem.

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Yeah. I would be a hard no on bringing him back.

Parker Braun is just wrapping up a campus visit. Played 2 years at Mizzou and 2 at Santa Clara, where he just graduated.

Older brother of Denver Nuggets player Christian Braun. He's from Overland Park, KS and dating a Chiefs cheerleader.

Averaged about 8 and 6 at Santa Clara. 6-10 with a good frame. Checks a lot of boxes for SLU in terms of size, position, defense, rebounding.

I don't think the KS power conference schools would be a possibility. Wichita State has been recruiting him, though. SLU gets him closer to home than most other possibilities and offers a more attractive overall picture than most non-power conference schools. Seems like a good fit to me.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Parker Braun is just wrapping up a campus visit. Played 2 years at Mizzou and 2 at Santa Clara, where he just graduated.

Younger brother of Denver Nuggets player Christian Braun. He's from Overland Park, KS and dating a Chiefs cheerleader.

Averaged about 8 and 6 at Santa Clara. 6-10 with a good frame. Checks a lot of boxes for SLU in terms of size, position, defense, rebounding.

I don't think the KS power conference schools would be a possibility. Wichita State has been recruiting him, though. SLU gets him closer to home than most other possibilities and offers a more attractive overall picture than most non-power conference schools. Seems like a good fit to me.

Mom(?) played at SLU. 

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Younger brother of Denver Nuggets player Christian Braun. He's from Overland Park, KS and dating a Chiefs cheerleader.

He's actually a year older than Christian Braun.  His dad was briefly a Billiken.  His mom is a Sandbothe that played at Mizzou

Pistol likes this

Just now, Dr Bird said:

He's actually a year older than Christian Braun.  His dad was briefly a Billiken.  His mom is a Sandbothe that played at Mizzou

Edited.

I don't love Parker, but he shot 58% from long 2, so he had a solid jumper. Poor 3 point shot which is a bummer.  Would be a bad sign if he stared for us, but maybe worth a roster spot as a bench piece. 

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I don't love Parker, but he shot 58% from long 2, so he had a solid jumper. Poor 3 point shot which is a bummer.  Would be a bad sign if he stared for us, but maybe worth a roster spot as a bench piece. 

I don't take any pleasure in pointing this out, but the bigs currently on our roster aren't very good or at best are massive question marks. At this point, Braun would easily be the most proven big man on the roster if he signs with SLU.  He has started every game except 1 for a top 75ish Santa Clara team the past 2 seasons.  Our other bigs are Dalger who got less minutes / starts for a sub-300 Tulsa team and 2 question mark foreign bigs.

Unless Braun signs and we somehow pull a rabbit out of our hat to land someone like Connor Vanover or a reformed / born again Christian Carte'are Gordon (maybe both), I think Braun starts for us.  He's not likely to carry us to the NCAA tournament or anything, but he's one of the best realistic options I've seen.

gabriel likes this

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't take any pleasure in pointing this out, but the bigs currently on our roster aren't very good or at best are massive question marks. At this point, Braun would easily be the most proven big man on the roster if he signs with SLU.  He has started every game except 1 for a top 75ish Santa Clara team the past 2 seasons.  Our other bigs are Dalger who got less minutes / starts for a sub-300 Tulsa team and 2 question mark foreign bigs.

Unless Braun signs and we somehow pull a rabbit out of our hat to land someone like Connor Vanover or a reformed / born again Christian Carte'are Gordon (maybe both), I think Braun starts for us.  He's not likely to carry us to the NCAA tournament or anything, but he's one of the best realistic options I've seen.

At this point, ya unfortunately he is. Ultimately its going to take a miracle to really even finish in the t4 of the A10 next year.  But that's exactly why, having someone like him start. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Older brother of Denver Nuggets player Christian Braun. He's from Overland Park, KS and dating a Chiefs cheerleader.

You really could have just led with the bolded.  I say sign him up. 

4 hours ago, dlarry said:

He will need university  transfer waiver and a prison transfer waiver. 

What schools are close to a prison that has a good work release program? 

We could probably squeeze in the parole officer check-ins during tv timeouts… just saying… 

dlarry likes this

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

Braun's 1st 2 years at Mizzou check in as a small sample size....7 min / gm...2pt/gm

His last 2 years were at Santa Clara...Santa Clara is in the WCC...a B+  conference vs the A-10 which is a B conference...so comparable conference.

Started 65 of 66 games...ave 29.2 min/gam...mirror stats between the 2 years...almost identical years...very consistent stats on a lot of minutes

2022 & 2023 combined stats.....

55.7% / 64.9 / 28.4 / 47.3.....

A+      /  A+   /  F-    /  F-

Key take away and most important stat....in 2022 Braun was 70th ITN in 2P%...in 2023  he was 19th ITN.

Bottom line ....Someone who can help the Bills as long as he doesn't shoot 3s or FTs.