Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

That Oregon team Okoro played on as a sophomore was a top 15 team (with teammates like Payton Pritchard, Chris Duarte, Will Richardson, N'Faly Dante etc. and the year before they would have had Louis King and Bol Bol in his class) vs. a 7 win Georgetown team. I think Okoro's minutes on good Oregon teams playing in the Pac-12 gave me a bit more confidence in him stepping into 20+ minutes and an increased role at SLU than the stats Ezewiro has in his two seasons in more limited minutes playing on a historically bad Georgetown team this past season. But, like all of these guys I know nothing about, I will trust the coaches. He certainly appears to have size and was a solid recruit out of high school with some big offers (and he obviously began his career at LSU), but again not at the level Okoro was who was a 4 star, top 50 type recruit. Some of the things I liked about guys like Okoro or Bess coming in and increasing production at SLU, are why I do tend to really like CJ Noland on paper (4 star, top 100 recruit who played decent minutes in a really strong league on teams that were solid). Although, we have seen almost every type of transfer work out, so damn if I know.

or course we cannot compare apples to apples, which is why I'm going off of per 40 stats. But they both played in power conf, against other power conference bigs. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

or course we cannot compare apples to apples, which is why I'm going off of per 40 stats. But they both played in power conf, against other power conference bigs. 

Which makes sense, this is a me issue with these stats. I haven’t dug into per 40 stats enough to feel confident in using it for comparisons. Especially when the minutes and consistency of minutes and role are different and when the quality of the teams is so different. I don’t think the consistent playing time has been there for me to feel completely confident in him stepping into the starting 5 playing 20+ minutes per game for us. Although, he did have some quality games when he got more minutes late in the season which is an encouraging trend and certainly eliminates some of my concern, so again, I have to trust coaches who obviously have watched his tape (I didn’t know the name prior to yesterday and have not attempted to watch him). With Okoro he was a highly rated recruit we knew from playing in Illinois and watching him for BBE for a few years and then went onto consistent playing time from the start of his career including on a top 15 team in his sophomore season. With him I had no question about him starting and being productive in the A-10. Doesn’t mean anything since I’m completely blind on Ezewiro, so feel free to ignore. We’ve seen transfers from almost every pedigree work out and not, so you just have to trust in those doing the evaluations and not posting from an airport based on stats I can see in a quick search on my phone.

Bills71 likes this

3 hours ago, DOC said:

3 schools and gets his degree. Good for him. Interesting how people here speculated he flunked out of SLU when he was actually on the honor roll. 

Yes and no. He ultimately had to leave SLU for academic reasons. He left school after sophomore season was over. If he had the necessary credits as a jr he couldn't have played JUCO.  He wasn't a bad student. 

I thought he was being "sent down" for more seasoning with a possible return to SLU after a year at Moberly.  Not quite right but he parlayed that to West Virginia and now Mississippi State.  Still not that impressed with his skill set but would gladly take him over Traore, Momo, Diarra and a few others.

10 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I thought he was being "sent down" for more seasoning with a possible return to SLU after a year at Moberly.  Not quite right but he parlayed that to West Virginia and now Mississippi State.  Still not that impressed with his skill set but would gladly take him over Traore, Momo, Diarra and a few others.

Well that was a rumor and hopeful thinking.  What I see is a player who keeps getting recruited over.  Eventually, he will run out of eligibility and his journey will be over.  This also shows you just how thin the pool is of somewhat serviceable big men is.

53 minutes ago, ACE said:

Phillip Russell landed at UT-Arlington - a team that went 11-21 last year. A curious move.

Keith Pickens is a new asst there. 

Native St. Louisan, went to Mo St, coached Phil at SEMO. He's going hard in St. Louis, put several offers out to area kids this week.

27 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Keith Pickens is a new asst there. 

Native St. Louisan, went to Mo St, coached Phil at SEMO. He's going hard in St. Louis, put several offers out to area kids this week.

I read this as Keith Pickens is the new assistant hire. Really broke my brain.