Shooting grades....

F- / F- / B- /  D-

Bottom line... above average 3P guy

Kuany

35.9 /  40.1  /  29.8 / 82.3

Shooting grades...

F- / F- / F- / A+

Bottom line...Great FT shooter

Wiz, how rare is it that a D- FT shooter, is a B- 3 point shooter.  I tend to think good 3 point shooting is an anomaly , when shot by below avg FT shooter. What 3 point shooting grade would you forecast  for him next year?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think fans don’t notice the wars that rebounders and bigs engage in and free throw shooting after being hammered may be different than what ones, twos, threes experience

4 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Wiz, how rare is it that a D- FT shooter, is a B- 3 point shooter.  I tend to think good 3 point shooting is an anomaly , when shot by below avg FT shooter. What 3 point shooting grade would you forecast  for him next year?

Dalger's first season at Tulsa he shot 5 of 22 from the arc, 22.7%.  Last season he hit 42 of 120 for 35.0%.  Let's graph it, draw a straight line between the two percentage dots and extend to next season.  WHOA, that is 47.3%.  I'll take it.

Maybe Harriman was involved early with this player?  Probably not, but you never know.  (He is from California, not Germany - his name drew my attention.)  Averages aren't great, but he scored 19 against Michigan State, 11 against Illinois, and 13 against Kansas State; also 7 boards against Iowa and against Maine. 

Nebraska sophomore Wilhelm Breidenbach has entered the transfer portal. The 6’10” center averaged 3.6 points, and 2.7 rebounds. Former 4 recruit.

4 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I don't think it is that unusual for a 3P shooter to struggle at the charity stripe...at least not unusual enough to be an anomaly.  Look at the second part of my post talking about Kuany...A guy that that has an F-  in  3s and yet shoots A+ in FTs.  There are many other cases  of 3Pshooters not being able to shoot FTs and vice versa.  Research shows there is a weak positive correlation between 3P and FT shooting. 

The computer is forecasting Dalger to shoot between 34.2-35.8% with 35.3% as the most likely target.

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Maybe Harriman was involved early with this player?  Probably not, but you never know.  (He is from California, not Germany - his name drew my attention.)  Averages aren't great, but he scored 19 against Michigan State, 11 against Illinois, and 13 against Kansas State; also 7 boards against Iowa and against Maine. 

Nebraska sophomore Wilhelm Breidenbach has entered the transfer portal. The 6’10” center averaged 3.6 points, and 2.7 rebounds. Former 4 recruit.

Harriman was at SLU 2008-2012, Nebraska 2012-2015, New Mexico 2015-2019, and Cal 2019-2023.

Wilhelm Breidenbach started his Nebraska career in 2021 & was born 8/23/02.  I believe he would have been a 12 year old 6th grader the last time Harriman was a Nebraska assistant.  I'm doubtful there is any connection there.

There is a possibility Harriman would've been involved in recruiting some New Mexico players.  The only one that's a possibility I can tell that is still in the transfer portal is 6-11, 200lb sophomore Birima Seck originally from Dakar, Senegal.  He played very sparingly for NM just under 6 mins / game in 28 games.  1.0 ppg, 1.3 rpg.  I think Seck would have been a sophomore in HS the last time Harriman was an assistant at NM.

Of course there could also be guys he recruited while at Cal or NM that ended up going somewhere else or transferred elsewhere.  It would be a lot more work to track those leads down.

I could have put this post under the Noland thread but I put it here because I think it fits with the theme of how the stats from prior years come together in the thread that I posted above this one yesterday where I mentioned Dalger and Kuany.

Noland is  and probably will be our most unpredictable transfer. He is truly Forrest Gump's box of chocolates..."You never know what you are going to get".

Let's look at his career record (2 yrs)

45.3/ 59.8 (2P) / 31.9 / 59.4...this grades out at B / A+/ D- /F-...kind of a mixed bag.  But this slash does not tell the whole story.  In order to see what is going on it is important to look at both years separately and also to have the 4th stat (2P%)

It should be noted that these sample sizes are medium sample sizes.  This along with  the divergent nature of the samples   makes it difficult to determine what kind of player we are getting.  

Let's take a look at the numbers for the individual years...

21-22...33gms ...416 min.....53.6/ 60.3/ 43.6 / 69.2 ....A+ / A+ / A+/ D...This also ties into the @Aquinas post above where I discussed 3P shooting  correlating with FT shooting.  On the surface , it doesn't seem to ...but more on this later.

22-23...26 gms...378 min...35.7/ 58.6/ 23.6/ 52.6........F- / A+ / F- / F-...Big difference from the above year.

A couple of takeaways ....No matter what happens,  he should be able to shoot 2s at a high level. While the over all 3P to FT  shooting tie in doesn't seem to work there does seem to still be a correlation ...in the 2nd year when his 3P shooting fell off so did  his FT shooting while his 2P remained fairly constant.

Bottom line.... The key to Noland is whether he can return to his freshman form and hit 3s at the same high level which in turn should also improve his FT shooting and FG%.  If the coaching staff can work their magic and he returns to form, Noland can be a big difference maker. Let's hope the box of chocolates has a lot of 3P shots in it.

gabriel, DOC, CenHudDude and 1 other like this

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I could have put this post under the Noland thread but I put it here because I think it fits with the theme of how the stats from prior years come together in the thread that I posted above this one yesterday where I mentioned Dalger and Kuany.

Noland is  and probably will be our most unpredictable transfer. He is truly Forrest Gump's box of chocolates..."You never know what you are going to get".

Let's look at his career record (2 yrs)

45.3/ 59.8 (2P) / 31.9 / 59.4...this grades out at B / A+/ D- /F-...kind of a mixed bag.  But this slash does not tell the whole story.  In order to see what is going on it is important to look at both years separately and also to have the 4th stat (2P%)

It should be noted that these sample sizes are medium sample sizes.  This along with  the divergent nature of the samples   makes it difficult to determine what kind of player we are getting.  

Let's take a look at the numbers for the individual years...

21-22...33gms ...416 min.....53.6/ 60.3/ 43.6 / 69.2 ....A+ / A+ / A+/ D...This also ties into the @Aquinas post above where I discussed 3P shooting  correlating with FT shooting.  On the surface , it doesn't seem to ...but more on this later.

22-23...26 gms...378 min...35.7/ 58.6/ 23.6/ 52.6........F- / A+ / F- / F-...Big difference from the above year.

A couple of takeaways ....No matter what happens,  he should be able to shoot 2s at a high level. While the over all 3P to FT  shooting tie in doesn't seem to work there does seem to still be a correlation ...in the 2nd year when his 3P shooting fell off so did  his FT shooting while his 2P remained fairly constant.

Bottom line.... The key to Noland is whether he can return to his freshman form and hit 3s at the same high level which in turn should also improve his FT shooting and FG%.  If the coaching staff can work their magic and he returns to form, Noland can be a big difference maker. Let's hope the box of chocolates has a lot of 3P shots in it.

Good stuff as always Wiz!

33 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

So does that wrap it up for new guys?  Noland, dalger, and the Dutchman…

I count two more to give so my guess is no. Need some more bigs.

11 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Who do you guys feel is the go to guy on the perimeter with the roster as it stands now?

10 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Jimerson, by a huge margin.

Coach, do you mean go to guy on the perimeter in terms of making a 3 point shot or do you mean a guard / perimeter player to give the ball to & create his own shot?

3 point shot - pretty obviously Jimerson

Creating his own shot - I'd say Sincere Parker

HoosierPal and billiken_roy like this

53 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Coach, do you mean go to guy on the perimeter in terms of making a 3 point shot or do you mean a guard / perimeter player to give the ball to & create his own shot?

3 point shot - pretty obviously Jimerson

Creating his own shot - I'd say Sincere Parker

Agreed. 

On an inbound play with a chance to free Jimerson, I would make him the first option. In a one on one game, with Jimerson vs Parker, I would take Parker. Having both on the floor at the same time makes the Bills pretty good at the 2-3 positions.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

im intrigued. Better 40 min stats as a sophomore than Okoro

That Oregon team Okoro played on as a sophomore was a top 15 team (with teammates like Payton Pritchard, Chris Duarte, Will Richardson, N'Faly Dante etc. and the year before they would have had Louis King and Bol Bol in his class) vs. a 7 win Georgetown team. I think Okoro's minutes on good Oregon teams playing in the Pac-12 gave me a bit more confidence in him stepping into 20+ minutes and an increased role at SLU than the stats Ezewiro has in his two seasons in more limited minutes playing on a historically bad Georgetown team this past season. But, like all of these guys I know nothing about, I will trust the coaches. He certainly appears to have size and was a solid recruit out of high school with some big offers (and he obviously began his career at LSU), but again not at the level Okoro was who was a 4 star, top 50 type recruit. Some of the things I liked about guys like Okoro or Bess coming in and increasing production at SLU, are why I do tend to really like CJ Noland on paper (4 star, top 100 recruit who played decent minutes in a really strong league on teams that were solid). Although, we have seen almost every type of transfer work out, so damn if I know.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

OT on transfers, Tricky Ricky is pulling in one after another to St Johns. Don't be surprised if they are ranked the next too early top 25.

Well nobody ever doubted he would not turn the program around.  At least St. John wants to win.  Before people say he is cheating don't until you have the proof now not from the past.

6 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

What if he can't get a waiver and has to sit a year?  You still want him?

Here are the acceptable reasons for a waiver, for those who don't qualify for the one time exception.

UNDERGRADUATE FOUR-YEAR TRANSFER WAIVERS
(Effective for 2023-24 championship eligibility)
An undergraduate transfer waiver will only be considered for student-athletes who transfer:
(1) For reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being;
(2) Due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete’s control (e.g., physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or
(3) Assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities.

Coaching change is not on the list.

Again ...... I'm keenly on the Joe Bamisile watch.  VA Tech to Geedubya to Oklahoma to VCU.  All in four years.  Physical or mental well-being?  I doubt it.  Physical or sexual assault?  Doubt that too.  Learning disability?  What would any one of these schools have over the other?  

7 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Ezewiro has a small sample size....played only 29 min his entire freshman year. He played 327 min (12.1 min/gm) soph year.  While still not large enough for a forecast, it is large enough for a projection.  As he has taken no 3s in his career we are left with a 2P and FT slash line....51.9/ 58.6 (22-23)....B/ F-.......Projected in 23/24....2P%....51.6%-52.4%...most probable 51.8%....team that finished at 51.8% in 22/23....The Bills.      FT projection.......56.9%-64.6%....most probable...61.9%

Bottom line ...above average 2P shooter that you don't want to be playing in the final 2 min of a close game.