Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, brianstl said:

This isn't just a Travis Ford thing, many coaches have said almost the exact same thing.  That said, it just smacks of absolute hypocrisy when the coach saying it has used an agent to get a multiyear guaranteed $2.5 million per year deal. 

It's not hypocrisy.  If we don't have it to offer, there's no point wasting either side's time.

gabriel, AGB91 and HenryB like this

On 4/11/2023 at 9:47 PM, Old guy said:

This is from Stu Durando quoting Ford, I agree with Ford:

Ford said he's encountered some players with NIL agents, who are inserting themselves into the process and throwing out six-figure dollar amounts. “We quickly say, ‘we’re out of this game.’ We tell them if they can get it, go get it. I want a kid who wants to be here.”

Like 05 has said, this is the "new reality."

So all the talk of “take the money for Ford’s buyout and invest it into NIL and see what the man can do” was just bull****??  Sounds like we are headed for another mediocre season to me.

not directed at you old guy, just a response to the quote from Ford

13 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

So all the talk of “take the money for Ford’s buyout and invest it into NIL and see what the man can do” was just bull****??  Sounds like we are headed for another mediocre season to me.

Maybe we are using the NIL money collected by the BVF to retain players we want to keep? I honestly have no idea. I’ve taken the attitude that I will wait until the fall semester starts and worry about who we have then. I see no need to get excited in the slightest about any player until they are a Billiken, too many players to track and worry about.

That having been said, if Travis Ford isn’t hitting the portal like his job depends on it, he should be… 

CenHudDude and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

So all the talk of “take the money for Ford’s buyout and invest it into NIL and see what the man can do” was just bull****??  

Who said that other than MBMs?  I get it. Regarding Ford you are a glass is half full---of dogshit---kind of guy but c'mon.  I'll settle for the Billikens spending like the Cardinals.  If you want to follow the Yankees, be my guest...... 

AGB91 likes this

On 4/12/2023 at 4:25 PM, wgstl said:

I don’t think Pryor comes in and does anything more than a 6 ppg / 4 rebound average. With that said, he can step out and shoot the 3, he’s a shot blocker, and most of all, an excellent passer. Wouldn’t surprise me if he averages above 2.5 assist a game. 

When has a "stretch 4" or a big who can shoot the 3 ever made it off the bench during Ford's tenure? 

Not meant as an insult to Pryor or Ford, I just don't think that is Ford's style of play. Or maybe the bigs who could shoot under Ford's tenure were just not that great? i.e. Lorrentson, Hankton

I personally really like the idea. They can be every hard to defend against and open up the lane.

I think the bigs who could shoot the 3 (Ellis & Loe) were a huge part of our success during the "Majerus years" (2011-2014). It just helped a decent offensive team be much harder to defend. But unfortunately, Majerus and Ford have very different styles.

Edited by SLUMedBilliken15

24 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

When has a "stretch 4" or a big who can shoot the 3 ever made it off the bench during Ford's tenure? 

Not meant as an insult to Pryor or Ford, I just don't think that is Ford's style of play. Or maybe the bigs who could shoot under Ford's tenure were just not that great? i.e. Lorrentson, Hankton

I personally really like the idea. They can be every hard to defend against and open up the lane.

I think the bigs who could shoot the 3 (Ellis & Loe) were a huge part of our success during the "Majerus years" (2011-2014). It just helped a decent offensive team be much harder to defend. But unfortunately, Majerus and Ford have very different styles.

Well, tell me if my memory is foggy, but seems a "stretch 4" couldn't have made it off the bench during Ford's tenure ..... there hasn't been one on the roster.

37 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Andre and KC weren’t quality rebounders. That hurt their Pt 

44 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Who said that other than MBMs?  I get it. Regarding Ford you are a glass is half full---of dogshit---kind of guy but c'mon.  I'll settle for the Billikens spending like the Cardinals.  If you want to follow the Yankees, be my guest...... 

Frank said it multiple times while criticizing big donors for their attempted coup

brianstl likes this

Okoro and Forester both had trouble catching the ball in some games- Okoro was easy to defend by a small looking to ****** the ball.

unless our guards for 2023 -2024 know how to pass to bigs we are better off with control the boards-rebounders instead of catch snd shoot three point shooters who will be splitting Jimmerson’s chances

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

We may to figure out how the Rays do it.

dlarry likes this

What was it ...... Brett Favre got X so Kirk Cousins had to get Y.  Then Kyler Murray needed Z and Russell Wilson wanted AA.  Then came DeShawn Watson and the price went up to BB but here comes Jalen Hurts and Lamar Jackson.  I know it's all football related but the college game eventually mirrors the pro game.  Let the Escalation Games begin.  There are currently over 1400 names in the transfer portal.  I'll be damned if I would know who to pay and how much but again, there is no guarantee.  The QBs mentioned above haven't won a single Super Bowl title.  

13 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

There is no “all the talk” when it was just mentioned from Frank and Rammer on a segment of his show. I listened to it. It was more a figure of speech and not to be taken literally. As for the Ford quote, if you mbm can’t read between the lines, he’s talking about Caleb Love. Kid wanted big $. We are not going to pay that and I’m fine with that as a fan.

8 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I'll be darned.  It is true that I'd rather listen to Yoko Ono than sports radio........missed this.....

Sports radio is generally worthless, but Frank is very good at it. Off topic, but the interview he did with Bill Walton on Wednesday is excellent. Definitely worth a listen.

13 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

whoa there buddy, touched a nerve?   Both Frank and Rammer campaigned for that exact thing when it looked like their pal was on the hot seat. 

you probably think Oli Marmol isn’t out of his depth too…  🤣

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, Scoop said:

There is no “all the talk” when it was just mentioned from Frank and Rammer on a segment of his show. I listened to it. It was more a figure of speech and not to be taken literally. As for the Ford quote, if you mbm can’t read between the lines, he’s talking about Caleb Love. Kid wanted big $. We are not going to pay that and I’m fine with that as a fan.

Rammer was more a passing comment but Frank's was the lead in on his segment on TV and was very serious. But I do somewhat agree it was just them going to the opposite extreme to shut down the original extreme.

Either way, Ford has a lot of work to do. Pryor would be fine but he's part of the answer and not the full answer. He's not a game changer even though the staff is pushing the idea that he is. And Ford has to change his offense to even make Pryor part of the answer.

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Rammer was more a passing comment but Frank's was the lead in on his segment on TV and was very serious. But I do somewhat agree it was just them going to the opposite extreme to shut down the original extreme.

Either way, Ford has a lot of work to do. Pryor would be fine but he's part of the answer and not the full answer. He's not a game changer even though the staff is pushing the idea that he is. And Ford has to change his offense to even make Pryor part of the answer.

Right, what has Ford done so far this offseason that is any different than he’s done the rest of his tenure here?  And when has he shown any ability to change or adapt to anything for more than two minutes before reverting back to whatever he’s comfortable with? How many times this year, and in previous years, did we see a switch to zone briefly stifle the opponents’ offense, just for him to immediately switch back to man to man?

13 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

the Yankees have a winning record. The Cards don’t.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

whoa there buddy, touched a nerve?   Both Frank and Rammer campaigned for that exact thing when it looked like their pal was on the hot seat. 

you probably think Oli Marmol isn’t out of his depth too…  🤣

Honestly, I've become an October Cardinals fan.....The Bills and the mostly pathetic Dallas Cowboys are where most of my sports attention is focused.  I couldn't tell you two things about Oli other than He should've avoided the press.......