Transfers - 2023

ACE

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:
Kasean Pryor is visiting SLU this weekend. 6’9 JUCO player from NW Florida State where he put up decent numbers as a stretch 4. Previously attended Boise State, where he played more of a guard role. 2 years to play.

Why would you copy and paste West Pine Bills tweet word for word and picture for picture and not just share their tweet. 🤔🤔🤔

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, crymdg2 said:

Not saying this is the case here,  but the last few tweets I've tried to share here it doesn't automatically input the tweet into the post like it used to.  It just posts the link.  @SluSignGuy am I crazy,, or is that the case for everyone? 

It is the case for everyone.  My belief is that automatic embeds are crashing some people's Browsers on Android phones, so I disabled the feature.  I put a request into the message board software's support, but I concede I have not proactively followed up.  So this is on me.

3 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Not saying this is the case here,  but the last few tweets I've tried to share here it doesn't automatically input the tweet into the post like it used to.  It just posts the link.  @SluSignGuy am I crazy,, or is that the case for everyone? 

I guess I can understand that, but links will still paste as plain text.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:
Kasean Pryor is visiting SLU this weekend. 6’9 JUCO player from NW Florida State where he put up decent numbers as a stretch 4. Previously attended Boise State, where he played more of a guard role. 2 years to play.

Kasean Pryor, who is visiting SLU this weekend, has a comparable JUCO pedigree to Sincere Parker. The 6'10, 200 pound forward was a first team NJCAA selection and is ranked 10th in JUCO Recruiting's Top 100. Parker was ranked 8th in the 2022 Top 100 and also was first-team NJCAA.

NOTE:  Pryor did not play against us in the Nov 2021 game in Boise. 

16 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is from Stu Durando quoting Ford, I agree with Ford:

Ford said he's encountered some players with NIL agents, who are inserting themselves into the process and throwing out six-figure dollar amounts. “We quickly say, ‘we’re out of this game.’ We tell them if they can get it, go get it. I want a kid who wants to be here.”

Like 05 has said, this is the "new reality."

This isn't just a Travis Ford thing, many coaches have said almost the exact same thing.  That said, it just smacks of absolute hypocrisy when the coach saying it has used an agent to get a multiyear guaranteed $2.5 million per year deal. 

TRN, JMM28, BilliesBy40 and 2 others like this

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

Pryor was terrible at Boise so its hard to get too excited but seems like he really made the most of a JUCO year and would be a good fit on this roster and would contribute. Him and a big strong traditional big seems like it'd be a solid enough offseason

He was playing at the guard position at Boise. He's at least listed as such on their roster. Sounds like he moved to the stretch 4 at JUCO.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

This isn't just a Travis Ford thing, many coaches have said almost the exact same thing.  That said, it just smacks of absolute hypocrisy when the coach saying it has used an agent to get a multiyear guaranteed $2.5 million per year deal. 

It’s funny to hear coaches whine about this.  They feel that they should be compensated highly, but act shocked when a player seeks out money.  

The market decides what they can be paid.  That’s what collectives are for, and SLU finally has one.  Coaches should be encouraging and educating fans on how to donate there.  The sooner everyone faces the new reality, the better.  Because it’s not changing back to the old way.

brianstl and slu72 like this

50 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Lock up, Kasean. Exactly the player we need and will excel in the A10. Classic stretch 4 with guard skills due to a late growth spurt. Check out his highlights from the national Juco tournament on his twitter. Legit.

A forward the size of Willie Reed but a Jr. and guard skills. Gimme gimme is right.

I don’t think Pryor comes in and does anything more than a 6 ppg / 4 rebound average. With that said, he can step out and shoot the 3, he’s a shot blocker, and most of all, an excellent passer. Wouldn’t surprise me if he averages above 2.5 assist a game. 

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I don’t think Pryor comes in and does anything more than a 6 ppg / 4 rebound average. With that said, he can step out and shoot the 3, he’s a shot blocker, and most of all, an excellent passer. Wouldn’t surprise me if he averages above 2.5 assist a game. 

Like many say, bigs sometimes take a few years to develop, especially those "late growers".  From what I can see from highlights (yes, highlights only show the good), this guy, who will be entering his 4th season of college ball, could be a steal.  Damn, been wanting a big true step out 4 for SLU .... probably since Cody Ellis left.

57 minutes ago, TRN said:

It’s funny to hear coaches whine about this.  They feel that they should be compensated highly, but act shocked when a player seeks out money.  

The market decides what they can be paid.  That’s what collectives are for, and SLU finally has one.  Coaches should be encouraging and educating fans on how to donate there.  The sooner everyone faces the new reality, the better.  Because it’s not changing back to the old way.

I don't think you are being fair talking about coaches "whining."  I think we're probably talking about kids with a Scott Boras type agent, demanding the moon.    I didn't read the Durando article as Travis being salty about it so much as being resigned to it.  It's easy to get to "no" in those situations and you don't have to waste time on those particular free agents......

cgeldmacher likes this

45 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I don't think you are being fair talking about coaches "whining."  I think we're probably talking about kids with a Scott Boras type agent, demanding the moon.    I didn't read the Durando article as Travis being salty about it so much as being resigned to it.  It's easy to get to "no" in those situations and you don't have to waste time on those particular free agents......

Agents have quickly shoehorned themselves into the NIL agenda, and guess what far too many have as their primary focus......how much they can make off the kid.  Think whether the athlete will earn a diploma from his second (or third) (or fourth) school is a concern?

Exhibit A

Syracuse's Jesse Edwards wasn't in the portal, and the Orange were still getting "outbid" for the Dutch big's pay-for-play services. To no one's surprise, his initial list of tamperers was riddled with the usual "anything goes" SEC scum.
Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

He was playing at the guard position at Boise. He's at least listed as such on their roster. Sounds like he moved to the stretch 4 at JUCO.

A stretch 4 is needed for sure and I think he'd fill that although Ford has never really utilized a stretch 4. Hed be a nice addition but we'd still have a big hole in our front court if the goal is going back to big strong defenders and rebounders. It's just hard to get excited about a guy who put up awful stats in a league very similar to ours. But I actually like the idea of dipping into the JUCO ranks especially since it seems like the D1 transfer portal is above the BVF payscale at the moment. He's a high upside player but we've seen his floor is very low too. Worth a shot especially if Ford changes the offense to use a stretch 4

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Agents have quickly shoehorned themselves into the NIL agenda, and guess what far too many have as their primary focus......how much they can make off the kid.  Think whether the athlete will earn a diploma from his second (or third) (or fourth) school is a concern?

Exhibit A

Syracuse's Jesse Edwards wasn't in the portal, and the Orange were still getting "outbid" for the Dutch big's pay-for-play services. To no one's surprise, his initial list of tamperers was riddled with the usual "anything goes" SEC scum.

I have noticed a lot of the highest ranked portal players, including Jesse Edwards, already have a degree or will be graduating this spring.

4 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Like many say, bigs sometimes take a few years to develop, especially those "late growers".  From what I can see from highlights (yes, highlights only show the good), this guy, who will be entering his 4th season of college ball, could be a steal.  Damn, been wanting a big true step out 4 for SLU .... probably since Cody Ellis left.

Careful.  People will come to Jalen Johnson and Elliot Welmer’s rescue if you drop the “first stretch 4 since Ellis” 

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

A stretch 4 is needed for sure and I think he'd fill that although Ford has never really utilized a stretch 4. Hed be a nice addition but we'd still have a big hole in our front court if the goal is going back to big strong defenders and rebounders. It's just hard to get excited about a guy who put up awful stats in a league very similar to ours. But I actually like the idea of dipping into the JUCO ranks especially since it seems like the D1 transfer portal is above the BVF payscale at the moment. He's a high upside player but we've seen his floor is very low too. Worth a shot especially if Ford changes the offense to use a stretch 4

One other thing to note is that after finishing high school he reclassified and went a prep year at Link, two seasons at Boise State, and this past season playing JUCO, so this guy isn’t young. I like that he brings a position we don’t currently have, but I’m not sold on the player. He has some awkwardness about his game in the highlights that I’m not quite sure what I’m seeing.

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Exhibit A

-Rocky Top? 

17 hours ago, wgstl said:

I'd love to have a guy who can run DHO and execute a short roll when teams double the ball handler in a PNR.  That type of big would've been really great to pair with Yuri, alas.  Okoro could rebound & finish pretty well, but was not a playmaker at all.  Not sure Pryot is that guy, but seems like he could be.