Transfers - 2023

ACE

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@Bilzz--- Hunter is at Central Arkansas; McKnight is Western Kentucky.  If you've got those schools as P6's, you'd might want to relook your classifications.

I see this as quite typical now .... kids at lower levels advancing up a notch or two.  Going the other way seems a rarity.

I'm aware of their conferences. I meant transfers that P6 schools are pursuing.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@Bilzz--- Hunter is at Central Arkansas; McKnight is Western Kentucky.  If you've got those schools as P6's, you'd might want to relook your classifications.

I see this as quite typical now .... kids at lower levels advancing up a notch or two.  Going the other way seems a rarity.

It’s 3 things. Successful players transferring up to P6. Players that transfer between P6 schools. And it’s players that transfer out of P6. 

SLU played Providence, a transfer friendly program under Cooley. There were a few A10 players, but 4 of the 7 were P6 players. 

Look at the teams still play, it’s a mix of P6 and non P6 schools, and the transfer types and amounts vary. 

FAU, has 3 key P6 transfers. 

UConn has 2 P6 transfers and 2 that moved up leagues.

SDSU has 2 P6 transfers and 3 from other leagues.

Texas has 5 P6 transfers, and 1 that moved up leagues.

Miami has 1 P6 transfer, and 2 that moved up leagues.

HoosierPal and Bilzz like this

I just don’t see how a team can stand out to any kid that has a clue and is transferring, apart from outright buying them with NIL.  Seems like any player mentioned on Twitter is listed with at least 20 programs, many bigger than ours. 

for those who say take the money for a Ford buyout and instead pump it into NIL, my question would be do you do the same thing next year?  Sure you might be able to buy some good one year transfers, but you have to do the same thing next year or you’re back in the same place.  Are we really gonna commit millions every year to transfers?

willie and billiken_roy like this

23 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Are we really gonna commit millions every year to transfers?

I hope that's not where we are going.  There will be coaches that may use lack of NIL money as an excuse for poor performance, yet each year some team with little or no NIL money will make a tourney run.  I doubt if Princeton and the other Ivy's will play the NIL game.  Ivy's don't even play the portal/transfer game.

Can a coach send money into a collective?  I don't see why they couldn't, even though it also seems highly illegal. If I made 2.5m, I'd have no problem putting in 20k. 

38 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I just don’t see how a team can stand out to any kid that has a clue and is transferring, apart from outright buying them with NIL.  Seems like any player mentioned on Twitter is listed with at least 20 programs, many bigger than ours. 

for those who say take the money for a Ford buyout and instead pump it into NIL, my question would be do you do the same thing next year?  Sure you might be able to buy some good one year transfers, but you have to do the same thing next year or you’re back in the same place.  Are we really gonna commit millions every year to transfers?

I think the value move is to go after freshmen transfers. The NCAA just came out pretty hard against granting 2nd time immediate eligibility waivers. Whether they enforce that or not remains to be seen. However if you can grab the Freshman of the Year from the OVC or Colonial or Summit, you hypothetically get 3 years out of him where he has more limited options to transfer. 

BIG BILL FAN likes this

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Can a coach send money into a collective?  I don't see why they couldn't, even though it also seems highly illegal. If I made 2.5m, I'd have no problem putting in 20k. 

The NCAA said that coaches can help fundraise but they can't directly contribute to the cause. 

The NCAA did that when they changed their rules to allow schools to be involved but emphasized boosters cannot contact recruits as an inducement to attend that school. Originally schools had to be "not involved" with NIL. 

wgstl likes this

57 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The NCAA said that coaches can help fundraise but they can't directly contribute to the cause. 

The NCAA did that when they changed their rules to allow schools to be involved but emphasized boosters cannot contact recruits as an inducement to attend that school. Originally schools had to be "not involved" with NIL. 

Could an Athletic Dept theoretically “lower” one’s salary say from $2.5m to $2m and use that leftover $500k to fund something/someone? Or do they have to prove cause to the NCAA that they docked someone’s salary? Just curious if anyone knows any sort of loopholes a program like Houston or Kentucky could exploit. 

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

Could an Athletic Dept theoretically “lower” one’s salary say from $2.5m to $2m and use that leftover $500k to fund something/someone? Or do they have to prove cause to the NCAA that they docked someone’s salary? Just curious if anyone knows any sort of loopholes a program like Houston or Kentucky could exploit. 

The only thing they could really legally do is encourage a booster to give money to an NIL collective rather than the athletic department. Some departments have already done that, in some ways. 

3 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

instead of paying a coach $3 million he only gets $1 million.   afterall i dont think us fans are coming to see the coach.

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

instead of paying a coach $3 million he only gets $1 million.   afterall i dont think us fans are coming to see the coach.

Agree This is where we should be with Ford. He’s overpaid and he’ll still be well compensated after the cut. Tate gets a shave too. If that money went straight to recruiting then we’re in business. Give them a nice bonus if we dance. 

MLB managers now earn much less on average today than they earned 20-30 years ago. Owners decided that they didn’t need to spend that much on that position than they did in the past. I don’t think they ever gave someone a cut to get there, as contracts came up or older managers quit, they just paid the new guy less. I can see the same happening over time to both football and basketball head coaches, and I’m guessing it will be by paying the new guy less after the old one leaves.

someoneelse likes this

15 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

Keshon Gilbert roster says he is six foot one and profile says he is six feet four inches?  Anyone know as he is a Saint Louis kid.

Everything I see says 6’4 except an old 247 page