Transfers - 2023

ACE

On 3/16/2023 at 11:10 AM, cgeldmacher said:

West Virginia only played three tough teams in its non-conference schedule (Pitt, Purdue, and Xavier).  They won 1 and lost 2.  Then they played conference games.  The Big 12 as a group, like all conferences, is statistically bound to go .500 as a conference in conference games.  Someone wins and someone loses every game.  WV went 7-11 in conference.  They lost their first five conference games.  At this point, no one was looking at them like a tournament team.  The rest of the way, in the 7 conference wins, they beat four ranked teams.  That's their resume.  That's it.  It wasn't as if they were dominating during this time.  After those first five losses they only went 7-6 the rest of the way.  They just happened to beat four ranked teams, because all they seemed to be playing were ranked teams.  You're going to get a few of those.

Every team is going to win some and lose some in their conference.  The problem for us is that when a team like WV inevitably wins a few games in conference, those wins are way, way overblown and the losses are way, way underconsidered.  Until this problems is solved by college basketball, teams like WV will continue to get into the tournament over lower conference teams.

No team with a sub-.500 conference record should be eligible for an NCAA At Large Bid.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

No team with a sub-.500 conference record should be eligible for an NCAA At Large Bid.

Amen. Watching substandard power conference LOSERS is one of the low points of the tournament. Sad, shameful stuff.

30 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

7-11 conf record is ridiculous That’ll what WVU was. I don’t care if they’re in the All Universe Conf 7-11 doesn’t get you in. 

cheeseman likes this

3 hours ago, Bilzz said:

I'd be overjoyed if Gibson decided to come back. I don't know how anyone could want Gibson to leave. Yuri, I get. After he put his name in the transfer portal and the rumors with Tennessee started, I think he lost a lot of goodwill and was more focused on the clothing line than winning basketball games. This year also exposed a lot of issues with game management, even though he was still an elite passer.

I’ve been a critic of Yuri’s.  But you’re being unfair saying he’s focused more on his clothing line than winning basketball games.  Dude is a competitor and wants to win.  That’s easy to see.  

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

I’ve been a critic of Yuri’s.  But you’re being unfair saying he’s focused more on his clothing line than winning basketball games.  Dude is a competitor and wants to win.  That’s easy to see.  

Go back through his Twitter posts throughout the season and see how many times #Unknown shows up. It could be attributed to the new NIL atmosphere, but he wasn't worried about any of the crap in 2021-22 when he had his best season. Also, I don't really agree with your assertion that he was a "competitor and wants to win," at least no more than a typical basketball player. He was the de facto captain of an underacheiving that had a two-year habit of falling apart in the second half of games. He's not the gamer that someone like Goodwin was.

billiken_roy likes this

6 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Medley must be our best ever recruit!  Because Russell averaged 18p 5a for an NCAA Tournament team.   

SEMO got handled by another 16 seed in the first four. Phil is a nice story but he’s at the right level. He put up big numbers on a high volume against poor competition. I’ll take Larry Hughes Jr or Medley.

I think we will have better guard play the coming year. Ford touts Yuri but the proof is 

We had no Jordair Jett type energy to finish close games; this was a hard team to support.

8 hours ago, Bilzz said:

Go back through his Twitter posts throughout the season and see how many times #Unknown shows up. It could be attributed to the new NIL atmosphere, but he wasn't worried about any of the crap in 2021-22 when he had his best season. Also, I don't really agree with your assertion that he was a "competitor and wants to win," at least no more than a typical basketball player. He was the de facto captain of an underacheiving that had a two-year habit of falling apart in the second half of games. He's not the gamer that someone like Goodwin was.

Unknown has been Yuri’s thing long before he even got to SLU. His Instagram name has been unknownyc for as long as I can remember. Him using it as a hashtag on Twitter isn’t “NIL crap” and definitely doesn’t imply that he’s worried about his clothing line instead of winning games.

Also, let’s not forget that while Jordan Goodwin was a more vocal leader and showed more emotion on the court, he was also a part of some underachieving teams himself. 

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Also, let’s not forget that while Jordan Goodwin was a more vocal leader and showed more emotion on the court, he was also a part of some underachieving teams himself. 

Not to the degree that this past season was an underachievement.   22-23 was supposed to be the year.   Pre-season rated.   All the parts covered no apparent question marks.   No season in billiken history fell so short of expectations.

9 hours ago, Bilzz said:

I’m not a huge fan of Yuri’s game.  But I think your wrong to question his desire to win,and compete.  He seems to have a more reserved personality than Goodwin. But I still think he wants to compete and win.   You mention Goodwin as a gamer.  I think he is also.  But I also Remember Goodwin no finishing a couple games off at the free throw line.  Wouldn’t you consider that an “underachieving habit”?

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Not to the degree that this past season was an underachievement.   22-23 was supposed to be the year.   Pre-season rated.   All the parts covered no apparent question marks.   No season in billiken history fell so short of expectations.

Right on, Roy….especially considering how much weaker the A10 was this year — and Ford still comes up 1-4 vs. top 3 teams in the league, actually 1-5 counting A10 tourney game vs. VCU…a team that promptly gets drilled out of the NCAA’s.

cheeseman likes this

On 3/18/2023 at 8:04 AM, billiken_roy said:

In part that was Perkins not being able to achieve the same mobility.  It made him one dimensional. Pre-injury Perkins could take the ball in need of a basket, and get a shot up on the glass or create space for a three. That was not possible this year. I hope he can get back to that level. 
our expectations were made within a bubble, we comapared them to previous teams.  Yet every school was getting older players, the portal saw to that.  We did not keep pace, and a diminished Perkins hurt us.  While I love Yuri’s court vision, finishing out the half left something to be desired.

slu72 likes this

No doubt Perkins reunion tour raised expectations. He was an incredible scorer pre injury. And then it got compounded by an ankle injury. But I praise him, he made no excuses. And kept his attitude. Nothing but respect for the Perkolator.
To me, Yurimania, seemed very disconnected from this team. Yes, hard to complain about the nation’s leader in assists, but there were games where I thought he was trying to showcase his talent and not his teammates.

Also, Okoro came up short from what we saw in his last 15 or so games from the previous season. I don’t know why, but does anyone? 
Even taking of the above into consideration, I still chalk up this disappointing season to Ford. What happened to Bully Ball on D? Perk was effective from 3 as was Gibby, but they were not used as effectively as they could be. Parker could have been more of a factor. And, let’s be honest, we played some of our best ball with Legend Jr running the offense. Note to Travis: STOP WITH THE FRIGGING WEAVE! it does nothing but let the opponent relax while you play keep away. I agree with B’roy. This season was a major downer. Worse then the 2 Crews’ years with his recruits. We knew that was terrible hoops. But when u enter the season with 3-4 guys that have all conference resumes and they come up empty, it makes the pain that much worse come March and there’s no our team to root for. We should be playing, but we’re not. Enough said. Move on. Move Forward. Go Bills! 

Bilzz likes this

On 3/18/2023 at 8:15 AM, Slowry said:

I’m not a huge fan of Yuri’s game.  But I think your wrong to question his desire to win,and compete.  He seems to have a more reserved personality than Goodwin. But I still think he wants to compete and win.   You mention Goodwin as a gamer.  I think he is also.  But I also Remember Goodwin no finishing a couple games off at the free throw line.  Wouldn’t you consider that an “underachieving habit”?

I mean we can agree to disagree. I think Yuri overall took huge strides during the 2021-22 season. He entered the transfer portal amid rumors that Tennessee was offering him a $200k NIL deal right before SLU was set to have it's best season in a decade. Jimerson and Perkins unfollowed him on social media. He decides to come back with several NIL deals. Throughout the season he was constantly posting about one of his endorsement deals or clothing line. Again, maybe its just the new NIL landscape, but its a bad look when your team is underacheiving. Yuri is the best passer I've ever seen, but never struck me as an overly competitive player, at least no more so than the average college basketball player. This may be unpopular to say, but he did seem like he was phoning in at times this season, which I don't ever recall feeling during the 2021-22 season or during Goodwin's tenure. Is it fair to question the point guard and fourth year senior when a veteran team consistenlty blows 10+ point leads in the last ten minutes of a game? I think it's fair. The coaching staff's position should tell you everything you need to know. When he announced he was transferring last year, the staff was apocalyptic. This year they seem very okay with him moving on. The guys I talk to who are around the program consistently have gone a step further and said the staff is actively wanting him to move on. Again, I'm happy to agree to disagree, but I don't think my view of the situation is unfair.

1 hour ago, Bilzz said:

I mean we can agree to disagree. I think Yuri overall took huge strides during the 2021-22 season. He entered the transfer portal amid rumors that Tennessee was offering him a $200k NIL deal right before SLU was set to have it's best season in a decade. Jimerson and Perkins unfollowed him on social media. He decides to come back with several NIL deals. Throughout the season he was constantly posting about one of his endorsement deals or clothing line. Again, maybe its just the new NIL landscape, but its a bad look when your team is underacheiving. Yuri is the best passer I've ever seen, but never struck me as an overly competitive player, at least no more so than the average college basketball player. This may be unpopular to say, but he did seem like he was phoning in at times this season, which I don't ever recall feeling during the 2021-22 season or during Goodwin's tenure. Is it fair to question the point guard and fourth year senior when a veteran team consistenlty blows 10+ point leads in the last ten minutes of a game? I think it's fair. The coaching staff's position should tell you everything you need to know. When he announced he was transferring last year, the staff was apocalyptic. This year they seem very okay with him moving on. The guys I talk to who are around the program consistently have gone a step further and said the staff is actively wanting him to move on. Again, I'm happy to agree to disagree, but I don't think my view of the situation is unfair.

Watching the K State Ky. Game. Nowell may be the best passer I have ever seen  Granted this is the only time I have seen him but he has been fantastic.

3 hours ago, Bilzz said:

There is no way that Tennessee was going to give Yuri Collins $200k to be their back up point guard. Also, I’m sure SLU matched whatever Tennessee did offer.

59 minutes ago, David King said:

There is no way that Tennessee was going to give Yuri Collins $200k to be their back up point guard. Also, I’m sure SLU matched whatever Tennessee did offer.

Heard he received $400k. Whether that is accurate or not I cannot say for certainty but considering the position the source is in I have no reason to believe he was fed misinformation. 

I’ve always wondered if Ford felt obligated to play Yuri 100 minutes a game this season because of this (Yuri’s NIL $). Definitely times this year when LHJ should’ve come in a lot earlier than he did. 

Bilzz likes this