Very Interesting...

Schasz

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

biondi told grawer he wanted a top 50 program and didnt give him the resources to do it, it is only recently the top resources became available , the conference doesnt produce top 50 programs on a regular basis, so that needs to be taken into context. if the net is the rating tool it is so highly favored toward p6 it is difficult to be rated highly outside of the power guys. there certainly might be a better guy than ford out there, we dont know, but to grade him as a trash coach as many do it a very poor take

What the rest of the conference does has little to nothing to do with what you do with your program.  Creighton and Wichita ST built national powers from the Valley.  The #1 team in the country is from the AAC.  The WCC has 2 too 20 programs and both of those conferences have nothing more than a few good teams.  There is no reason with the money being paid to the coach, the arena, the local talent on a yearly basis—no reason at all this program can’t be a Top 50 program year in year out.  Anything less than this is just the typical SLU excuses.  This program and some of its fans need to stop being a freakin victim. Pick yourself up by your bootstraps and make your own way!

1 minute ago, ACE said:

That part is crazy.

I'm just an MBM, but I don't think it was that Levick didn't want him. It was that the deal was done without her even knowing about it. She was  of course the AD and was left out of the loop. So she quit.

If that scenario is wrong, I'm happy to be corrected.

4 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

What the rest of the conference does has little to nothing to do with what you do with your program.  Creighton and Wichita ST built national powers from the Valley.  The #1 team in the country is from the AAC.  The WCC has 2 too 20 programs and both of those conferences have nothing more than a few good teams.  There is no reason with the money being paid to the coach, the arena, the local talent on a yearly basis—no reason at all this program can’t be a Top 50 program year in year out.  Anything less than this is just the typical SLU excuses.  This program and some of its fans need to stop being a freakin victim. Pick yourself up by your bootstraps and make your own way!

no one said it couldnt be done, but those teams you mentioned took awhile to do so and two of the teams are not in the valley anymore,gonzaga took many years to become what they are today, obviously complainging argueing is what you like to do

20 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

no one said it couldnt be done, but those teams you mentioned took awhile to do so and two of the teams are not in the valley anymore,gonzaga took many years to become what they are today, obviously complainging argueing is what you like to do

You are correct, two of those teams are not in the valley and the reason they are not in the valley is because they propelled themselves into a much better position by making their own way.  We saw this with Gonzaga as well. Not only did Gonzaga make themselves a national power, but some of the other schools in the conference have stepped it up lately. Too many people that follow this program are still under the misconception that finishing fourth and winning 20 games is a good season and that the NAT is actually relevant. Until that mindset changes then there is no reason for the A.D. to demand anything better because they’re still getting the support. If that is the level of success this program desires they can achieve that at half the cost or less.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Just because the A10 may not regularly produce a bevy of top 50 teams doesn’t preclude us from being one. The two are not mutually exclusive. I never mentioned the NET. Others have pointed out different metrics. Use whatever metric you want but being a top 50 program on a somewhat regular status is mine. People often comment on the quality of facilities and other pieces available to players along with our overpaid coach (highest in the A10) so reaching this goal is not out of the question. I have never said he is a trash coach just that he has not delivered at the level expected for what he is given.  

There are 80 schools in the p6 and a handful of non p6 in the top 50 every year. So what 35 programs should we be expected to be better than on a consistent basis? Few. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

This is a little harsh. Perhaps one person has said this, most just think we can do better.  I love Ford as a person way too much to even think like that. 

I don’t judge coaches based on how good of a person they are in everyday life but Ford is not the most pleasant person to engage with outside Chaifetz. He is a very good salesman.

Coach314 likes this

31 minutes ago, DOC said:

There are 80 schools in the p6 and a handful of non p6 in the top 50 every year. So what 35 programs should we be expected to be better than on a consistent basis? Few. 

Doesn’t seem to stop the Zags or San Diego to name 2. Using your logic there just is no use in trying. 

Schasz likes this

2 hours ago, BANGheGOTit said:

You are correct, two of those teams are not in the valley and the reason they are not in the valley is because they propelled themselves into a much better position by making their own way.  We saw this with Gonzaga as well. Not only did Gonzaga make themselves a national power, but some of the other schools in the conference have stepped it up lately. Too many people that follow this program are still under the misconception that finishing fourth and winning 20 games is a good season and that the NAT is actually relevant. Until that mindset changes then there is no reason for the A.D. to demand anything better because they’re still getting the support. If that is the level of success this program desires they can achieve that at half the cost or less.

The real misconception is thinking that it matters what people (besides big donors) who follow the program think. Everyone complains but I guarantee you very few do anything more than complain. I’d bet the do very little more than complain list includes you

6 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Randy Bennett has been at St. Mary's for 22 years.  In his first 8 seasons, St. Mary's only went to the NCAA tournament twice and only won more than 20 games 3 times.  If the fans had run him out of town because they he was not getting to the tournament enough or winning more than 20 games enought in those early years, they would not be enjoying the success they are having now.  In the 13 non-Covid years since those first 8, St. Mary's has been to the NCAA Tournament 7 times (counting this year).  This includes one Sweet 16 run and three consecutive years that they went to the NIT (this board would have run him off then too).

My point is that consistency and patience is what is required to get to the level of some of the teams that you mentioned. Folks who advocate for keeping Ford are not okay with mediocrity.  This is a BS sentiment that is getting old.  We all want SLU to get to the next level and then the level beyond that.  I just think being patient with a coach that has gotten us 4 twenty win seasons in his first 7 years as coach and one tournament appearance (after inheriting a dumpster fire) gives us a better chance to get where we want to be than starting over with an unknown.

I don't have a problem with posters who think its time to part ways with Ford.  You are all entitled to your opinion.  I just think it is too risky right now, and that our chances are better with Ford.  Please stop having a problem with myself and other posters whose opinion differs from yours.  Let's just all calm down.

mic drop

HenryB and dennis_w like this

Just to clarify

Levick completed her end of season review, that included not only keeping Soderberg but also going into talks for an extension.  This was signed off by Biondi and others.

She gave the review to Soderberg.  New contract talks began and an agreement was made between Soderberg and Levick.  It was sent to Biondi and languished on his desk for days, weeks.

Meanwhile Biondi through others began courting Majerus after it was indicated to him that Majerus wanted back into coaching but with caveats that made SLU a real contender.

Biondi then let Soderberg go.  He told Levick after the fact.  Then informed her that an agreement was already made with Majerus to become HC.

Levick really had no choice but to resign.  The two had bumped heads a few times over fundraising and the new arena but to Cheryl they had a pretty good working relationship.  Making this move behind her back after assuring Soderberg he was coming back removed any authority she had in her position.

May was then brought in on the suggestion of Majerus.  Stone was also hired technically by May but was again suggested by Majerus.

Sh*tty way of handling what was a good decision.  The Biondi way.

There was a period of time where Soderberg was gone but Majerus "handshake" deal had not been finalized.  Majerus used this to guarantee certain stipulations that Biondi had balked at previously.  Majerus could have just walked leaving us without any coach so Biondi had to agree.  Thus began the poor relationship between the two.

AGB91 likes this

5 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Just to clarify

Levick completed her end of season review, that included not only keeping Soderberg but also going into talks for an extension.  This was signed off by Biondi and others.

She gave the review to Soderberg.  New contract talks began and an agreement was made between Soderberg and Levick.  It was sent to Biondi and languished on his desk for days, weeks.

Meanwhile Biondi through others began courting Majerus after it was indicated to him that Majerus wanted back into coaching but with caveats that made SLU a real contender.

Biondi then let Soderberg go.  He told Levick after the fact.  Then informed her that an agreement was already made with Majerus to become HC.

Levick really had no choice but to resign.  The two had bumped heads a few times over fundraising and the new arena but to Cheryl they had a pretty good working relationship.  Making this move behind her back after assuring Soderberg he was coming back removed any authority she had in her position.

May was then brought in on the suggestion of Majerus.  Stone was also hired technically by May but was again suggested by Majerus.

Sh*tty way of handling what was a good decision.  The Biondi way.

save this. seems like it has to be said every few years. it sounds worse every time it's rehashed. 

10 hours ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Look no further than our own conference and Loyola of Chicago.  

15 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Randy Bennett has been at St. Mary's for 22 years.  In his first 8 seasons, St. Mary's only went to the NCAA tournament twice and only won more than 20 games 3 times.  If the fans had run him out of town because they he was not getting to the tournament enough or winning more than 20 games enought in those early years, they would not be enjoying the success they are having now.  In the 13 non-Covid years since those first 8, St. Mary's has been to the NCAA Tournament 7 times (counting this year).  This includes one Sweet 16 run and three consecutive years that they went to the NIT (this board would have run him off then too).

My point is that consistency and patience is what is required to get to the level of some of the teams that you mentioned. Folks who advocate for keeping Ford are not okay with mediocrity.  This is a BS sentiment that is getting old.  We all want SLU to get to the next level and then the level beyond that.  I just think being patient with a coach that has gotten us 4 twenty win seasons in his first 7 years as coach and one tournament appearance (after inheriting a dumpster fire) gives us a better chance to get where we want to be than starting over with an unknown.

I don't have a problem with posters who think its time to part ways with Ford.  You are all entitled to your opinion.  I just think it is too risky right now, and that our chances are better with Ford.  Please stop having a problem with myself and other posters whose opinion differs from yours.  Let's just all calm down.

This is a great perspective. We all talk about how we want to take the next step, but when you look at the programs comparable in size who've made the jump: Gonzaga, Creighton, Villanova, Saint Mary's(to a lesser extend) Stability and continuity are paramount. Jay Wright(20 years), Mark Few(24 years) , Greg McDermott(12 years). Did they all have greater success right away? Sure, but it's still a perspective that needs to be appreciated. All of those coaches have been at their school longer than ANY coach in Billiken history. Just sit with that for a hot minute. I'm not asking anyone to change their mind, but like, consider it.

DirtyRican and almaman like this

51 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is a great perspective. We all talk about how we want to take the next step, but when you look at the programs comparable in size who've made the jump: Gonzaga, Creighton, Villanova, Saint Mary's(to a lesser extend) Stability and continuity are paramount. Jay Wright(20 years), Mark Few(24 years) , Greg McDermott(12 years). Did they all have greater success right away? Sure, but it's still a perspective that needs to be appreciated. All of those coaches have been at their school longer than ANY coach in Billiken history. Just sit with that for a hot minute. I'm not asking anyone to change their mind, but like, consider it.

prior to mark few fitzgerald was there 15 years and laid a solid foundation for mark few 

billiken_roy likes this

18 hours ago, dennis_w said:

Not as long as you think...we lived in Seattle the last 4 years of the 90's. I watched Gonzaga start their NCAA run under Monson and went to their firstt NCAA run where they beat No. 2 Stanford in the 1st round. Then Monson left and their Asst Coach Mark Few continued their run and actually has been the favorite a few times at a Jesuit U school in of all places friggin Spokane, WA. It can be done with a solid HC and motivation of the Administration. Travis Ford is not the HC to get us anywhere near the path Gonzaga has been. For many years I've found myself rooting for that Jesuit school during NCAA Tourney time because my alma mater cannot even get in the darn Tourney. Maybe someone might say they have not won the NCAA Championship yet. True but we watched them lose a vey competitive Final Game one year on a cruise ship to one of the blue bloods NC with the people on the ship rooting for the Zags. It can be done even at a Jesuit U with the proper leadership. Not with the current HC at SLU, but I'll keep the dream alive probably until I die!

21 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Not as long as you think...we lived in Seattle the last 4 years of the 90's. I watched Gonzaga start their NCAA run under Monson and went to their firstt NCAA run where they beat No. 2 Stanford in the 1st round. Then Monson left and their Asst Coach Mark Few continued their run and actually has been the favorite a few times at a Jesuit U school in of all places friggin Spokane, WA. It can be done with a solid HC and motivation of the Administration. Travis Ford is not the HC to get us anywhere near the path Gonzaga has been. For many years I've found myself rooting for that Jesuit school during NCAA Tourney time because my alma mater cannot even get in the darn Tourney. Maybe someone might say they have not won the NCAA Championship yet. True but we watched them lose a vey competitive Final Game one year on a cruise ship to one of the blue bloods NC with the people on the ship rooting for the Zags. It can be done even at a Jesuit U with the proper leadership. Not with the current HC at SLU, but I'll keep the dream alive probably until I die!

did you look how look it took with fitzgerald so that there could be a monson? monson didnt start with nothing, he built on the prior coach of 15 years

BIG BILL FAN likes this

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

did you look how look it took with fitzgerald so that there could be a monson? monson didnt start with nothing, he built on the prior coach of 15 years

Whatever...keep dreaming with Ford...it's never going to happen. Mark Few a couple years ago got a helluva transfer guard from Florida of all place. Florida a SEC school who had won a couple NCAA Championships in the past. That player thought he had a better chance winning a NCAA Championship with little ole Gonzaga than he did with Florida and by the way he started at Florida too. Do you honestly think Travis Ford could pull that off? I'll answer it for you...no friggin way. Unfortunately, I'm sure I'll have to root for the Zags in the NCAA Tourney and root for them to have a run again. Pretty sure before this weekend is over Ford will be 1 for 7 in NCAA Tourney appearances. What a WASTE!!!

BC1764 likes this

Just now, Schasz said:

Whatever...keep dreaming with Ford...it's never going to happen. Mark Few a couple years ago got a helluva transfer guard from Florida of all place. Florida a SEC school who had won a couple NCAA Championships in the past. That player thought he had a better chance winning a NCAA Championship with little ole Gonzaga than he did with Florida and by the way he started at Florida too. Do you honestly think Travis Ford could pull that off? I'll answer it for you...no friggin way. Unfortunately, I'm sure I'll have to root for the Zags in the NCAA Tourney and root for them to have a run again. Pretty sure before this weekend is over Ford will be 1 for 7 in NCAA Tourney appearances. What a WASTE!!!

are we talking about your mistaken facts on gonazga history or your dislike of ford? root for whoever you want, your stomach ulcer may get some rest if you quit spewing your hatred of ford