SEMO goes dancing

8 hours ago, stmdragons said:

Wouldn’t hate the idea of a reunion with Russell next season, if possible. 

I’ve been saying this for a while. If Yuri bolts, get Russell back. 1st team OVC averaged over 18 a game. Had 2 37 point games. 2 years left. Shoots the 3 at a decent clip. Kid is confident, doesn’t force things and is fun to watch. Come on back up 55 to the Lou!

DOC likes this

2 hours ago, Scoop said:

I’ve been saying this for a while. If Yuri bolts, get Russell back. 1st team OVC averaged over 18 a game. Had 2 37 point games. 2 years left. Shoots the 3 at a decent clip. Kid is confident, doesn’t force things and is fun to watch. Come on back up 55 to the Lou!

There could be a few issues with that: Other than playing at home, and back at the school you walked on at—you have made a name for yourself now.  You will be playing on the biggest stage and more opportunities could come your way.  You also have to trust Travis to play you.  Lastly, maybe you’re comfortable playing 2 hours from home, being THE GUY, and with a program that looks to be heading in the right direction.  After nearly 15-20 years of horrible years, Korn is a young coach who has gone from 7 wins the year before he got there, to 11, 14, and now 19 and a NCAA tournament.  Murray St and Belmont are no longer in the conference.  Your chances of multiple NCAA bids is not that far fetched.  Of course if someone snatches up the Drake HC…or a similar program—Korn may get some interest.  I’d like to see PR back at SLU but who knows how the dominoes may fall.  Ja Morant has proven you can be a guard in the OVC and make it to the NBA—until you act like a true idiot and squarely place yourself on the verge of getting suspended from the league because you’re a complete moron with your conduct.

BilliesBy40 likes this

It might be enticing to come back home and run the show and play in front of a nice home crowd every night. Cape unfortunately doesn’t get behind their team and the crowd at the OVC championship game last night looked more like an 8th grade girls championship. That being said, Cape’s a fun town and I’ll be pulling for the RedHawks!

2 hours ago, Scoop said:

It might be enticing to come back home and run the show and play in front of a nice home crowd every night. Cape unfortunately doesn’t get behind their team and the crowd at the OVC championship game last night looked more like an 8th grade girls championship. That being said, Cape’s a fun town and I’ll be pulling for the RedHawks!

I am sure coming back to play for maybe a NIT bid after having been to the Dance sure sounds enticing 

4 hours ago, Scoop said:

He would have to sit out a year 

When WV gets their automatic bid that will be two former Billikens (Bell and Russell) dancing.  This tells me we had the right personnel in the wrong situation.  This season has really turned me into a pessimist  

Phil is just not good enough to play at SLU. I've seen him play for SEMO and yeah, he scores a lot, but in ways that wouldn't translate at a higher D1 level. There's a reason he was going to SEMO in the first place, and there's a reason he's back there. That's his ceiling IMO. 

He takes 14 shots per game, shoots under a 40% clip from 2 and only 36% from 3, and averages a 5:3 A/TO ratio. 

I bet good $ that all of those stats move in the wrong direction should he come back to SLU.   

31 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Phil is just not good enough to play at SLU. I've seen him play for SEMO and yeah, he scores a lot, but in ways that wouldn't translate at a higher D1 level. There's a reason he was going to SEMO in the first place, and there's a reason he's back there. That's his ceiling IMO. 

He takes 14 shots per game, shoots under a 40% clip from 2 and only 36% from 3, and averages a 5:3 A/TO ratio. 

I bet good $ that all of those stats move in the wrong direction should he come back to SLU.   

I could see him playing on this this years Duquesne team where its shoot as many deep balls as possible and that's the offense. 

40 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Numbers don’t lie but they can be deceiving.  From the games I’ve seen him play, he seems to create opportunities by drawing fouls.  Sometimes a drive into the lane results in a prayer that doesn’t go down but it does result in a shot attempt and a couple free throws.  I didn’t see him get the ball rejected or lose it that much.  If a guy goes 3/6 from 2 and drives into the lane going 1/4 you would say he’s shooting 40% 4/10–but if in the 1/4 he draws a foul or two, maybe he goes 2/2 or 3/4 out of those chances at the line—It takes the point total up but not necessarily the shooting percentage.  The productivity is the key.  You may very well be correct, maybe he can’t play at a higher level, but the one thing I noticed is this team plays as a team and makes the extra pass, and there doesn’t seem to be many periods of “the offense looking lost”.  I don’t look for SEMO to do anything in the tournament, and they likely be a 15 seed at best, but magic can happen and I’d love nothing more than for them to win a game and keep building the résumé for potential recruits and transfers to go to Cape and revitalize that rich tradition they had at the D2 level.  The old building was a nightmare for opposing teams back in their heyday.  The Show-Me Center is a good arena for the OVC, and there is a fan base there that just grew tired of the horrible seasons for nearly 2 decades.  This could propel SEMO to the upper echelon of the OVC if they can maintain this success.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:48 AM, Scoop said:

I beg to differ.  SEMO had one of the toughest places to play back when they were a D2 power.  Fans packed the place (granted it was a small venue), but there is a fan base there that just grew tired of the constant losing for nearly 20 years.  If they can sustain this, keep key players, keep Korn—they can be the Murray ST of the OVC and the fans will be there.  

5 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

Right, because college basketball revolves around SLU.

It kinda does on BILLIKENS.COM 😀

BTW, you just used up another post. How many you got left?

EDIT: I actually responded to Bang's sidekick who was running to his buddy's rescue. It's easy to get them confused. It's like the same person posting. Perhaps Bang is out of posts for today, so the sidekick had to be deployed.