GDT: Dayton; No Joking Matter, Thank the Seniors

5 minutes ago, dlarry said:

When it’s a full house and everyone is really into the game I think it sounds really cool.

Then again I’m a 40+ year old male who still enjoys the occasional pair of cargo shorts on a hot day. 
So I may not be the voice of cool for Billiken chants.

It’s not the Saint Louis part I hate, it’s how it’s explained to the crowd and started that I hate. And cargos rule. 

Billiken Rich and dlarry like this

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Good way to get me angry, which isn't easy. Tell that to Duke, UNC, KU, Baylor, etc. A band is part of the gameday experience and the fans (see the donors) love the band.

My all time favorite Pep Band when I attended NCAA Tourney games was Stanford's. One year the band leader wore a shower cap and bath robe!

14 minutes ago, Schasz said:

My all time favorite Pep Band when I attended NCAA Tourney games was Stanford's. One year the band leader wore a shower cap and bath robe!

Stanford's whole band organization has a reputation for being wild as hell, haha.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

According to UDPride, the same ref called 3 of the 4 fouls on Camara.  Maybe something going on between the two?  From my vantage point, 1 foul was legit, the other 3 weren't - taken in how the game was called.

The refs were an aid in getting the W. Okoro had some stuff early that I thought he would get called for. He didn't and we ended up out rebounding SVU because of it.

We have gotten some home cooking this year. Our road record is trash in comparison. We will see in Brooklyn.

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Stanford's whole band organization has a reputation for being wild as hell, haha.

We have generally traded this kind of wackiness in favor of canned experiences. The coordinators in the AD who arrange this stuff are horrendous. They should start with firing Gus Phelps.

3 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

From conversations with the ones who stuck around, it seems like the Athletic Department has given a lot of good concessions and made some things right with the band. The "interim" director is a close friend and I think she's done a great job so far. I think time, more than anything, will help. That and the seeming willingness on both sides to work together through issues.

You’re closer to the situation than you’re letting on, because you are one of the “ones who stuck around”. Did you hear this from yourself?

Out with it: what are these “concessions” that took place? The athletics department under Chris May has never been one to admit mistakes and improve, so I’m skeptical the changes are meaningful. I’m legitimately curious.

TheBand likes this

The Billiken clap and the Saint Louis chant are corny. I know it’s mostly for the kids but the high five cam is bad too imo.

And I know my opinion might be skewed as someone who has been to nearly every home game this year but I would like some variation to the game experience. It’s always the same chants, the same crowd games, and the same songs at the exact same times.

BilliesBy40 likes this

48 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

You’re closer to the situation than you’re letting on, because you are one of the “ones who stuck around”. Did you hear this from yourself?

Out with it: what are these “concessions” that took place? The athletics department under Chris May has never been one to admit mistakes and improve, so I’m skeptical the changes are meaningful. I’m legitimately curious.

You need to stop being a jerk.

Thanks for doxxing me, too by the way.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour
F**kery

My favorite band moment , was , we upset Memphis in a conference tournament, and the band started playing Rocky Top

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

The Billiken clap and the Saint Louis chant are corny. I know it’s mostly for the kids but the high five cam is bad too imo.

And I know my opinion might be skewed as someone who has been to nearly every home game this year but I would like some variation to the game experience. It’s always the same chants, the same crowd games, and the same songs at the exact same times.

Well said. Same script every game and most the script is corny. Par for the course with this AD.

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

That result was likely caused by the fouls.   Anyone who's ever played before will tell you a player in that circumstance is going to be mentally affected and start playing cautious and not be the same player

I’ve already learned from the Ford haters that they aren’t interested in excuses. The narrative that Camara didn’t deserve those fouls just isn’t true. I just take issue with those who are trying to minimize the Billikens play in the win. The same fans didn’t seem to care that Akoro missed the previous game in their critique of the coaching. Camara has had issues with fouls all season, as most bigs. 

2 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Well said. Same script every game and most the script is corny. Par for the course with this AD.

I have it from a good source that Chris May spent 2 weeks personally drawing up the script. (I don’t know how to do blue font). 

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

I’m interested in what Gibby said about his future. Was he asked directly if he plans to come back? 
Travis behind the bar at Humpries? Prepping for a new career, maybe? 

Nah,  players basically just thanked the fans and the coaches along with family.  Spoke on the season and how challenging it has been.  After Yuri finished talking they chanted "one more year".

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

According to UDPride, the same ref called 3 of the 4 fouls on Camara.  Maybe something going on between the two?  From my vantage point, 1 foul was legit, the other 3 weren't - taken in how the game was called.

The announcers said all his fouls were fouls and honestly from the TV camera view I agree

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

I’m interested in what Gibby said about his future. Was he asked directly if he plans to come back? 
Travis behind the bar at Humpries? Prepping for a new career, maybe? 

Ford said the three should move on for their professional careers. That is all we need to hear

3 hours ago, willie said:

I have it from a good source that Chris May spent 2 weeks personally drawing up the script. (I don’t know how to do blue font). 

Wasn’t trying to take a shot at May even though I think it would be warranted. I meant the Athletics Department - I should’ve typed it out.

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Ford said the three should move on for their professional careers. That is all we need to hear

Yeah, basically good luck guys. I think both go portal to try for a dance bid and a nice NIL deal, 

5 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I’ve already learned from the Ford haters that they aren’t interested in excuses. The narrative that Camara didn’t deserve those fouls just isn’t true. I just take issue with those who are trying to minimize the Billikens play in the win. The same fans didn’t seem to care that Akoro missed the previous game in their critique of the coaching. Camara has had issues with fouls all season, as most bigs. 

Ford haters? More like hating to have one of the oldest teams in the nation, all Ford recruits, currently ranked behind three Missouri Valley teams in the Pomeroy rankings.

3 hours ago, BC1764 said:

I’ve gone to a couple games recently and I concur that the band leaves a lot to be desired. It’s not what it used to be.

Internal strife doesn't just extend to the basketball program.

BC1764 likes this