GDT: Dayton; No Joking Matter, Thank the Seniors

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I have no problem with how the game was called, but I have never seen a college game where one team was called for three fouls in a half, and they were all on the same player...

In spite of Okoro's great play, the key to the game was Camara's foul trouble. We have no answer for him and he was tough to stop in the few mins. he played. Huge coaching blunder on Grant's part to keep subbing him out late in the game. If we see them in Brooklyn, we have to hope he gets in serious foul trouble again or we somehow find a way to stop him.

Schasz and CenHudDude like this

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think dayton is the best team in the conference.   except for the first 3 minutes of the second half, the billikens pretty much had their best defensive effort of the year imo.   that shouldnt reflect on dayton.   that is a credit to us finally stepping up.

that said, the billikens cannot come out every second half sleep walking wth?   that almost cost us the game imo.  

Key to the game and the upcoming A10 tournament: SLU out scored Dayton 20-8 in second-chance points. That’s the kind of ball they played to win the A10 tourney when JGood routinely cleaned the glass.

3 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

In spite of Okoro's great play, the key to the game was Camara's foul trouble. We have no answer for him and he was tough to stop in the few mins. he played. Huge coaching blunder on Grant's part to keep subbing him out late in the game. If we see them in Brooklyn, we have to hope he gets in serious foul trouble again or we somehow find a way to stop him.

According to UDPride, the same ref called 3 of the 4 fouls on Camara.  Maybe something going on between the two?  From my vantage point, 1 foul was legit, the other 3 weren't - taken in how the game was called.

slufan13 likes this

19 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It’s time to retire the band

Good way to get me angry, which isn't easy. Tell that to Duke, UNC, KU, Baylor, etc. A band is part of the gameday experience and the fans (see the donors) love the band.

16 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Camara was 3 of 8 from the field. That’s hardly unstoppable.

We need the administration to admit they F'd up with the band.   Tell them they only are expected to play at basketball games and beg ALL to come back.  

I can tell you from personal conversations w alumni members we are darn lucky as many stuck around to finish out the year.

Dont mess up a good thing SLU 

Adman likes this

2 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

That result was likely caused by the fouls.   Anyone who's ever played before will tell you a player in that circumstance is going to be mentally affected and start playing cautious and not be the same player

CenHudDude and billikenbill like this

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Nothing bothers me more than the SAINT - LOUIS chant. So corny 

That and the Billiken Clap.  Both are forced emotion/hype.  I thought both were a buzz kill last night.  I wish they would do away with them. 

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

We need the administration to admit they F'd up with the band.   Tell them they only are expected to play at basketball games and beg ALL to come back.  

I can tell you from personal conversations w alumni members we are darn lucky as many stuck around to finish out the year.

Dont mess up a good thing SLU 

From conversations with the ones who stuck around, it seems like the Athletic Department has given a lot of good concessions and made some things right with the band. The "interim" director is a close friend and I think she's done a great job so far. I think time, more than anything, will help. That and the seeming willingness on both sides to work together through issues.

BJK likes this

4 minutes ago, Slowry said:

That and the Billiken Clap.  Both are forced emotion/hype.  I thought both were a buzz kill last night.  I wish they would do away with them. 

i have grown so tired of "MAKE SOME NOISE!"

AGB91 likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

That result was likely caused by the fouls.   Anyone who's ever played before will tell you a player in that circumstance is going to be mentally affected and start playing cautious and not be the same player

Without a doubt, the refs took Camara out of the game. 

On the flip side, Amzil got extended play and did a good job keeping Jimerson under control-only 6 shot attempts.  He also scored 13 for the Flyers.

13 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Good way to get me angry, which isn't easy. Tell that to Duke, UNC, KU, Baylor, etc. A band is part of the gameday experience and the fans (see the donors) love the band.

Me (a donor) and many other fans (donors) find the band to be a joke at best. Those teams you referenced have good game day experiences because they win, not because of the band.

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Me (a donor) and many other fans (donors) find the band to be a joke at best. Those teams you referenced have good game day experiences because they win, not because of the band.

You're a joke.

Just now, BilliesBy40 said:

BOOOOOOOO  you arent paying attention.   you obviously dont realize the talent that this band has.   

myself, i detest the amount and selections of the piped in music.   if i didnt love the billikens as much as i do and was just a casual fan, i wouldnt come just because of the amount of piped in music.   at least turn the f'ing bass down.

17 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

He's a matchup problem for us for sure. billiken_roy said it better than I could.

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

BOOOOOOOO  you arent paying attention.   you obviously dont realize the talent that this band has.   

myself, i detest the amount and selections of the piped in music.   if i didnt love the billikens as much as i do and was just a casual fan, i wouldnt come just because of the amount of piped in music.   at least turn the f'ing bass down.

We agree on the bass. I’m generally fine with the piped in music but it was crazy loud last night.

the band despartly needs ALL the tuba's and trombones and mellophones back.   one of the trombone all stars has indeed returned but we need them all.   especially those tuba's.  

Billikenbooster likes this

Every team in the A10 has weaknesses ---- that's why the standings are a jumbled mess.  On any given night a Rhode Island can take down a Dayton, a Bonaventure can take down a VCU, A Umass can take us down.  Looking up and down the standings, it is clearly evident .... VCU has athletes but is light in basketball skills; Dayton has a nice inside game but has a questionable outside game, no bench and injured guards; we can't seem to guard anyone using a pick and roll or shooting from distance; Fordham has two players and a whole bunch of role players; Duquesne lives and dies by the bomb; Mason is Oduro and prayers; Geedubya has Adams and Bishop but pray they both are on all night long; the rest have enough to be competitive in the right situation but are too weak for the long haul.  

No great team exists this year.  

Please remember (as to Camara's weak fouls) the foul is called given the refs sightline ... what he thinks he sees.  It's been that way forever and won't change.  Basketball athletes are getting bigger, quicker, stronger.  How a ref can keep up with all that is hard to fathom.  There have been many phantom calls on Okoro, Forrester, Hughes and the rest all year.  One game goes against the opposition and that so sad, too bad.  Grant f'ed up having Camara out there for the last minute of the first half.  That's on Grant.  

We don't have an answer for the athletic four.  Camara.  Moore.  Burton.  The guy who can shoot or put it on the floor and drive.  Perkins and Pickett are too slow, Hargrove seems too small.  Camara's foul troubles certainly did sway the outcome of that game.  Again, too bad, so sad.  See you in Brooklyn.  Camara will come out with vengeance there.

billikenbill likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Nothing bothers me more than the SAINT - LOUIS chant. So corny 

When it’s a full house and everyone is really into the game I think it sounds really cool.

Then again I’m a 40+ year old male who still enjoys the occasional pair of cargo shorts on a hot day. 
So I may not be the voice of cool for Billiken chants.