A10 WBB Tournament Megathread

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Who cares is someone calls them the lady Billikens?  At least he is paying attention to them.  This is the most attention the women's program has ever got.  Enjoy it and say the BS stuff for another day.

Because it's incorrect? If you pay attention to them then you don't call them that, it's more respectful of the team.

almaman and slufan13 like this

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Because it's incorrect? If you pay attention to them then you don't call them that, it's more respectful of the team.

I don’t think it is disrespectful to use ladies’ instead of women’s when using it as a descriptor for the team. I haven’t done it in years, but it isn’t disrespectful.  Just like I don’t think it would be disrespectful to use gentlemen’s instead of men’s as a descriptor for the the men’s program.  

What I do think is disrespectful is for a bunch of dudes feeling a need to white knight to totally derail what was a great thread about the women’s basketball team’s historical success.  If those white knights want to really impress me they need to either stop using any descriptor for any of women’s programs just like they don’t use them for the men’s program’s or never post again about any of the men’s programs without out using the proper descriptor for that team.  Next time you do a WBB thread either leave the WBB out or make sure you use the descriptor MBB for everything for the men’s program.  It is disrespectful to assume the men’s team doesn’t need a descriptor, but the women’s does.

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I don’t think it is disrespectful to use ladies’ instead of women’s when using it as a descriptor for the team. I haven’t done it in years, but it isn’t disrespectful.  Just like I don’t think it would be disrespectful to use gentlemen’s instead of men’s as a descriptor for the the men’s program.  

What I do think is disrespectful is for a bunch of dudes feeling a need to white knight to totally derail what was a great thread about the women’s basketball team’s historical success.  If those white knights want to really impress me they need to either stop using any descriptor for any of women’s programs just like they don’t use them for the men’s program’s or never post again about any of the men’s programs without out using the proper descriptor for that team.  Next time you do a WBB thread either leave the WBB out or make sure you use descriptor MBB for everything for the men’s program.  It is disrespectful assume the men’s team doesn’t need a descriptor, but the women’s does.

And make sure you run your thread by courtside before you post it to see if you're allowed 

brianstl likes this

NET ratings as of today, SLU is 133.  Believe it or not there are 8 conferences where the highest NET in the conference falls below that. I’m guessing we are about a 14 seed or so. Still just a guess, some conferences still have to play their tournament.  UMass finished at 59, Rhody at 71, I don’t see those changing much, and I don’t have much hope for multiple bids this year from the A10 on the women’s side, but the selection committee works in strange ways. They are both probably NIT bound. Other A10 teams NET rankings: Fordham 95, Richmond 96, St Joe 98, all three maybe on the borderline for the NIT, most likely not.

The A10 was actually a 2 bid league last year. UMass was a 12 seed, they lost to #5 Norte Dame in the first round. Dayton was a First Four team at 11, playing DePaul, also an 11. Dayton beat DePaul, so they got to play against a 6 seed, Georgia, who beat them.  Tillett’s Longwood team was also a First Four (16 seed) , slotted against another 16, Mt St Mary’s, who they beat, which got them a 16 seed game against a #1 seed, North Carolina, who ended Longwood’s season.

CORRECTION: I didn’t see that the Women’s NIT was 64 teams last year. All 3 of those teams I listed earlier from the A10 should be in the NIT. Next highest is DQ at 142 in the A10, they are probably out.

RUBillsFan and Band Legend like this

11 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

while julia is an excellent team player filling all the columns and she isnt as bad as she was last year, she is still an ugly shooter.  i cant see her playing wnba unless she can fix that.  she is improved but she still isnt a good shooter. 

speaking of iowa, i watched that after i watched the lady billikens, that clark girl is fantastic.   she is worth the price of admission.  

I don’t disagree about her shooting, but she has better shooting percentages from 3 and overall that McMalin. 

4 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

I don’t agree about her shooting, but she has better shooting percentages from 3 and overall that McMalin. 

McMakin’s shooting this year has been off from last year.  Last year her slash line at Longwood was .390/.340/.907, this year .316/.256/.822.