A10 WBB Tournament Megathread

I did not necessarily understand letting Stone go. I did not understand hiring Tillett after firing Stone looking at Chris May's statements. I have a lot of new information, most of it off court and nothing bad to shine new light on the whole saga. Tillett said it herself in the post game: The players were expecting a big name coach and they got Rebecca Tillett. I bought what she was selling when I spoke with her.

That being said if you weren't at least concerned after Loyola Chicago, you're weren't watching. But you could see it game by game, you could see the game plan and the team coming together.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I did not necessarily understand letting Stone go. I did not understand hiring Tillett after firing Stone looking at Chris May's statements. I have a lot of new information, most of it off court and nothing bad to shine new light on the whole saga. Tillett said it herself in the post game: The players were expecting a big name coach and they got Rebecca Tillett. I bought what she was selling when I spoke with her.

That being said if you weren't at least concerned after Loyola Chicago, you're weren't watching. But you could see it game by game, you could see the game plan and the team coming together.

Glad to see you write that. We had some back and forth over the hiring when it happened. I wouldn’t say I was pro Tillett when she was hired but after looking at the resume and hearing her speak, I was definitely liking the hire. Something to be said for actually running a program and building success from nothing as opposed to being a very good asst. There have been good and bad hires both ways, but this one certainly looks like a great decision today. And, I’d have been happy with the year even if we had lost yesterday or today

Getting Tillett is turning out to be huge. She comes from a low-major obscure program and in the 1st year propels SLU to the dance. Also A10 Coach of the year. Good chance she could be another Katie Shields.

I don't often watch women's basketball but I watched these 3 A10 conference tourney wins.

Congrats to Coach Tillett, Lady BBall Billikens and good hire Chris.

34 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Getting Tillett is turning out to be huge. She comes from a low-major obscure program and in the 1st year propels SLU to the dance. Also A10 Coach of the year. Good chance she could be another Katie Shields.

I don't often watch women's basketball but I watched these 3 A10 conference tourney wins.

And one has to feel for Ciaja. Plays her heart out on mediocre teams for four years, transfers to Vandy, gets eliminated in the first round of the SEC, and watches her friends go to the dance. 

8 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

And one has to feel for Ciaja. Plays her heart out on mediocre teams for four years, transfers to Vandy, gets eliminated in the first round of the SEC, and watches her friends go to the dance. 

That’s the gamble you take when you leave any program but she made a reasonable decision. Nobody would have picked us going to the Dance 

TRN likes this

36 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Projected as 15 playing Iowa first round ( you know, the team with the lady considered the best college player in the nation). But it is just a projection 🙏

That projection has them playing in Seattle. Selection Sunday is at 8pm ET one week from today on ESPN.

16 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Huh? It has us in Iowa City playing Iowa.

You are right. I misread. Thanks. In the projection I saw, they were shown in the Seattle Regional. But the subregionals are played at the home of the top 16 seeds overall. That would be Iowa/Iowa City.

We’ll see next Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Adman said:

You are right. I misread. Thanks. In the projection I saw, they were shown in the Seattle Regional. But the subregionals are played at the home of the top 16 seeds overall. That would be Iowa/Iowa City.

We’ll see next Sunday.

No worries. I'm hoping it's not against Iowa so we have an outside shot.

2 hours ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

What I liked from the start was she had built a program to a tournament appearance from nothing. Longwood was Crewsish when she got there. Not the same level but there is something to be said for having done it before

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

No worries. I'm hoping it's not against Iowa so we have an outside shot.

Their NET (137 pre-victory) will get somewhat better after beating UMass (56.) You’d hope the NCAA would see the 10 Ws in a row, a Cinderella story in the making and give them a 12-13.

But I don’t trust the NCAA, especially with only a .500 record. And supposedly they’re no longer favoring those with a strong finish to the season.

Would be stupid for them to bury us and a possible Cinderella PR narrative.

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

This type of gotcha posting from you gets old.

I just read through the threads on Stone's firing and Tillett's hire.  You made one post and gave no opinions on the hire at all.  Way to stick your neck out.

Nobody needs to apologize.  I criticized the hire, from May's standpoint and from his comments following Stone's dismissal.  I stayed away from game to game critiques but the Maryville loss was disheartening, as bad or worse than the men losing to SIUE.  Coming into the season I thought they had a chance at a top 6 finish, they had enough talent.  The first half of the season was a mess.

This late season run has been maybe the best performance by a Billikens team in decades.  Tillett has turned the season around and made these women winners.

In the offseason, I will have similar questions for May.  Extension for Tillett, immediately.  Raises for all the staff, immediately. May can also get a fundraising bump and address whatever small-scale issues Tillett has over the offseason, get some extra money into the program now similar to how Ford got a locker room refresh, get a Tillett wishlist and make it happen.  The BVF should also focus at least a portion of their fundraising on NIL for the Women.  If May doesn't come through with this we will see the coaching turnover, stagnant recruiting, and poor results we got on the court from Stone will happen again with Tillett.

My challenge for fans and board members is to come out to support the women in the NCAA tournament.  Chances are we will play less than 6 hours away.  We need to fill up that arena with a full SLU fan contingent.  

Out of reactions. A+

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Whatever you do, DO NOT read the replies in that ESPN tweet that Tatum QTed.  Absolute cesspool.  I get not being into women’s sports, but I’ll never understand the level of sh*times a person has in them that they need to reply to something with that kind of garbage.

Billikens.com can get pretty bad at times, but those replies are a  reminder that relative to most of the internet this message board is the Garden of Eden.

rgbilliken likes this