A10 WBB Tournament Megathread

The first day of the tournament is upon us. Our women have the double bye and won't play until 7:30 on Friday, but meanwhile it should be fun to watch the other teams cannibalize each other in the opening rounds. The women's standings were tighter than then men's in some cases!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dayton bears VCU, 67-61. Can’t see it really matters to us, I don’t expect to see Dayton coming out of that side of the bracket.  As always, a Dayton-VCU matchup leaves me conflicted, I like to see them both lose, so 🤷‍♂️

the next game is another matchup where I don’t expect SLU to face either one later on this tournament, number 10 Duquesne vs number 15 Loy-Chi

DQ over Loy-Chi, 58-57. Bonnie’s vs Davidson next. This is where the winner might meet SLU on Friday, but they have to beat St Joseph first. Both lost fairly decisively to St Joseph during the regular season, but hey, post-season March Madness is upon them, so we’ll see.

Davidson takes out the Bonnie’s, 70-51, so they get St Joseph next. Winner of that game faces SLU. St Joseph took down Davidson at Davidson 72-56 on Feb 15th, so on the neutral court that’s less than an hour from their campus, I’d say they are favored. SLU lost to both of these teams on the road, but that was before they started playing great basketball. I’m guessing the Billikens will play wanting some payback with either team like they did with Loy-Chi.

20 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I agree. (I wish I felt this way about the men's team, but unfortunately I think we all lack confidence in the men's team)

I clicked this thread without realizing it was the women's thread and was absolutely puzzled by 05's comment, before reading yours. 

Billiken Rich likes this

GW beats DQ, 71-68, they get to take on Rhody next. Beating Rhode Island would be a major upset.

St Joe beats Davidson 64-53, they are SLU’s next opponent. St Joe beat us this season 71-47, but that was before the Billikens put the pieces together. At this point, I like SLU in this game, and if the ladies look back on that game and want to get some motivation, fine with me.

On another note, does St Joe have any money to get that Hawk outfit dry cleaned? I hope so, if the inside is like how the outside looks,  I can’t imagine what the inside of that thing smells like…

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The announcers for this current game are terrible.

Shout out to Colin Suhre who is really really good on the ESPN+ call for SLU women's games at Chaifetz.  He's not perfect, but he's Jack Buck compared to the usual WBB announcers.

Pretty impressive win by SLU today. It was close for 2.5 quarters and then SLU closed the third with a 12-1 run and never looked back. Held SJU to 16 second half points. Forced - yes, truly forced - 20 turnovers and had 14 steals. They didn't shoot well and that can be the kiss of death for this team but the aggressive defense really got to the Hawks. Fewest points they've held an A10 team to this season, fewest points they've scored in a win this season. Very different type of game but they found a way.

What a start for the women. 21-6 after the 1st qtr. There is literally not a comfortable moment with the ball for a Billiken opponent. They don’t shoot well but they get after you every second. 100% buy in.

Julia Martinez is so fun to watch. If I were going to a brawl, I’m not sure there’s another Bill man or woman I’d rather have on my side. She’ll just find a way. 

Brooke is intimidating inside and can score a bit.

Payton Kennedy has really come on lately. She can shoot it and really score. 

Kennedy Calhoun makes the whole thing go especially on defense. She’s just gets up in you and causes havoc