Coaching Carousel-2023

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, ACE said:

Sorry to see little brother go - never beat SLU and got destroyed in his last A-10 game. I don't get the hype - good luck in the Big East.

Guessing he brings Oduro with him. A10 players have had good results jumping to the Big East. 

51 minutes ago, ACE said:

Sorry to see little brother go - never beat SLU and got destroyed in his last A-10 game. I don't get the hype - good luck in the Big East.

He is young and black. That is the resume. 

50 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

He is young and black. That is the resume. 

That's offensive.  What makes Kim English stand out is that he's articulate and knows how to set a vision.  I can definitely see him excelling in an interview, even if he was white.  This is so ignorant when looking at the landscape of college basketball where the coaching profession is hardly representative of the talent pool (that is the number of blacks who played college basketball exceeds the number of whites at the Division I level).

Having said that, there are plenty of people who know how to excel on the interview, but then flop on the job.  I'll agree that the jury is still out on whether English will be a highly effective coach, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by aj_arete
More clarification

9 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

That's offensive.  What makes Kim English stand out is that he's articulate and knows how to set a vision.  I can definitely see him excelling in an interview, even if he was white.  This is so ignorant when looking at the landscape of college basketball where the coaching profession is hardly representative of the talent pool (that is the number of blacks who played college basketball exceeds the number of whites at the Division I level).

Having said that, there are plenty of people who know how to excel on the interview, but then flop on the job.  I'll agree that the jury is still out on whether English will be a highly effective coach, so we'll just have to wait and see.

You just agreed with everything I said. I just made it in 5 words and you took a pontificating 200 words. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

How did that work out for Missouri?

It's a bit different.

Kim English - 34 years old -  2 D1 seasons (finished 9th and 5th)

Dennis Gates - 42 years old - 3 D1 seasons (finished 7th, 1st, and 1st - 1 NCAA, 1 NIT)

Cuonzo Martin - 45 or 46 year old - 9 D1 seasons (2 NCAAs, 4 NITs)

As we've seen with Penny Hardaway, Jerry Stackhouse, Patrick Ewing, etc.... I think there's currently a premium being paid for coaches with NBA experience and ties, even if it's nowhere close to the level of success those guys had (e.g., Kim English or the mentions by some on this board of Blake Ahearn).

1 minute ago, Compton said:

It's a bit different.

Kim English - 34 years old -  2 D1 seasons (finished 9th and 5th)

Dennis Gates - 42 years old - 3 D1 seasons (finished 7th, 1st, and 1st - 1 NCAA, 1 NIT)

Cuonzo Martin - 45 or 46 year old - 9 D1 seasons (2 NCAAs, 4 NITs)

As we've seen with Penny Hardaway, Jerry Stackhouse, Patrick Ewing, etc.... I think there's currently a premium being paid for coaches with NBA experience and ties, even if it's nowhere close to the level of success those guys had (e.g., Kim English or the mentions by some on this board of Blake Ahearn).

Fair enough but one of the reasons they hired him was because he was younger than what they had and was black but I accept your point

45 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

You just agreed with everything I said. I just made it in 5 words and you took a pontificating 200 words. 

No, I don't agree with what you said.  He got the job because he knows how to interview and not because he's black.  

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

He's staying. Actually a little surprised, my guess was that he was taking a different role. 

Gregory took the Flyers to 2 NCAA's in 8 seasons

Miller took the Flyers to 4 NCAA's in 6 seasons

Grant has 0 NCAA's in 6 seasons albeit with a HUGE asterisk in '19-20.