Coaching Carousel-2023

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Between the pre-game interviews, the game, and post-game press conferences, could be a stretch for him. Just saying…

I am going back many years but went to a Billiken U of L game at Freedom Hall. Got stuck in a parking lot after the game. Caught Pitino’s post game show. He was fantastic. Very complimentary to our team Talked basketball for a good 30 minutes.  Better  than anything our coaches have ever done. 

Schasz likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Round one of the 2023 March Madness basketball tournament is underway and this year’s tournament features nearly all of the highest-paid coaches in the NCAA.

College basketball coaches can stay at universities far longer than the players can, and they oftentimes become the face of a school’s basketball program — and are compensated well for that. Of the 15 highest-paid basketball coaches in the NCAA, 14 of them had their team qualify for the 2023 March Madness tournament.

Here’s a list of the highest-paid college basketball coaches based on their salary this year, which was compiled by BetMGM MGM, +1.33% :

1 John Calipari Kentucky $8.5 million
2 Bill Self Kansas $6 million
3 Tom Izzo Michigan St. $5.7 million
4 Rick Barnes Tennessee $5.5 million
4 Bruce Pearl Auburn $5.5 million
6 Tony Bennett Virginia $4.8 million
7 Brad Underwood Illinois $4.6 million
8 Bob Huggins West Virginia $4.2 million
9 Mick Cronin UCLA $4.1 million
9 Eric Musselman Arkansas $4.1 million
9 Buzz Williams Texas A&M $4.1 million
12 Dana Altman Oregon $4 million
12 Tommy Lloyd Arizona $4 million
14 Kevin Willard Maryland $3.9 million
15 Ed Cooley Providence $3.8 million

Wonder what the Zags pay Mark Few...being a Jesuit U it would be a guess, but surely he'd make this list.

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

They usually have one in mind or start a search after he’s terminated. You wouldn’t keep someone around just in case

Well Biondi had RM in mind and it took something like 2 weeks to negotiate a contract.  Maybe the issue is Ford is willing to leave but he wants some kind of a payment and that is what is being worked out - who knows.  Lets just let it play out.

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well Biondi had RM in mind and it took something like 2 weeks to negotiate a contract.  Maybe the issue is Ford is willing to leave but he wants some kind of a payment and that is what is being worked out - who knows.  Lets just let it play out.

Wait is all we can do, 

Bills71 likes this

25 minutes ago, Compton said:

Farleigh Dickinson's Tobin Anderson to replace Rick Pitino at Iona. Five year deal.

20 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm always amused this time of year how a coach can pull off one upset in the tournament and then get a new job.

Yep, one year as a D1 coach, 21-16 record, got into the NCAA tourney by finishing second to ineligible Merrimack, has one signature win, and gets a boast.  

Good for him, he probably doesn't have to move.

On 3/19/2023 at 1:32 PM, courtside said:

I was told Saturday morning by 3 people, (there are others involved too) that Travis Ford is out as SLU’s coach. An announcement would happen soon. 2 of the 3 are among SLU’s highest level boosters. And the third, is connected with the NBA. 

Just checking in since I posted this. I worded my post very carefully. Example: when I post a recruiting commitment or a coaching change, I speak directly about it saying SLU has a new commitment from xyz. There is finality to it.

Here above, I made a statement of fact about something that happened to me, unsolicited. I know these people, some better than others, and, a few are close friends of mine. It's a thing. It may or may not happen, as there are different opinions. But it's a thing.

I have not gotten involved in any pro or con Travis discussion here, and, I won't be starting now. Seeing some (not all) of the response to my above post tells me that not reading or posting much in the hoops threads has been perhaps a good decision. It doesn't mean my interest in ball is any less. The soccer threads, other, are more enjoyable for me.

Apparently there is enough to it, that Frank C felt the need to make this short video below. Frank knows some, but not all of the people involved:

https://twitter.com/Frank_Cusumano/status/1638223667095060480?t=D-vkht3_yHt2NWlhoGOUdg&s=19

If I don't know something I don't post about it or I will ask about it. And, sometimes there are lots of things that I may know about various topics that I am not going to share here. That's because I either deem them unimportant, or I don't think they are appropriate for me to share here. That happens too.

Have a good day. Roll Bills.

PS Unless or until there is a coaching change, I will be making any future comments about it in a different thread.

Schasz likes this

23 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm always amused this time of year how a coach can pull off one upset in the tournament and then get a new job.

It wasn't just the upset.  He took a team that won four games before he got there to 21 wins the next season.  He is, also, really well connected when it comes to recruiting Catholic high school kids in NY state.  That is sort of a must at Iona to be successful if your name isn't Rick Pitino.

JMM28 likes this

I doubt these supposed boosters are able to buy out Ford right now and it's probably for the best. Buying out a coach is fine and all but you also better have a pretty darn good plan in place (like a replacement lined up??) the minute that coach is terminated. That could very well be the case here but it's not the impression I'm getting.

Instead of:

1A) Buyout current coach 1B) have new coach ready to sign on the dotted line 

It seems to be:

1) Buy out current coach 2) Look for a replacement

Sounds like a few of Courtside's friends had a few scotch whiskeys and started spitballin'....

8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I doubt these supposed boosters are able to buy out Ford right now and it's probably for the best. Buying out a coach is fine and all but you also better have a pretty darn good plan in place (like a replacement lined up??) the minute that coach is terminated. That could very well be the case here but it's not the impression I'm getting.

Instead of:

It seems to be:

Sounds like a few of Courtside's friends had a few scotch whiskeys and started spitballin'....

I am pretty sure this group is 100% confident that they have their replacement locked up.  That doesn't mean they do or that something couldn't go south at any point, but they 100% believe they got the next coach locked up if they get Pestello on board.

15 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Instead of:

It seems to be:

yes

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am pretty sure this group is 100% confident that they have their replacement locked up.  That doesn't mean they do or that something couldn't go south at any point, but they 100% believe they got the next coach locked up if they get Pestello on board.

I would hope so.

If this was Crews we were talking about I'd be totally on board with a fire first, think about replacement coach later approach.

19 hours ago, Billfan7 said:

This list from August 2022 claims Few makes $2 million

https://theresourcenexus.com/coaches-salary/

I read an article on Few a few years back. He’s been offered by P5 schools but said money wasn’t much of a factor in staying at Zaga. He likes his life in Tacoma and is very comfortable. Money isn’t everything. 

38 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So you think a change is coming this year?

I would think if these boosters are really going to come up with the buyout $$’s they must have be in contact with a sure thing HC. That buyout is some serious $$’s so why risk it on a supposed hot up and comer, and he turns out to be a Brian Gregory or a Tom Crean. You’d only risk it on a sure bet proven winner, like a Majerus or a Pitino. What HC’s are out there that compare to Majerus and Pitino? I rather doubt they’re going to come up with the big $$’s it would take to lure away a currently employed big name winner. So, I’d guess they would be looking to lock up a currently unemployed winner, like a Chris Mack. I have no idea who they might be looking at, but to just can Ford and go for some hot unproven guy really makes no sense. 

18 hours ago, cheeseman said:

If that’s the case he wouldn’t be on the road right now. Has there been any reports on that?

2 minutes ago, DOC said:

If that’s the case he wouldn’t be on the road right now. Has there been any reports on that?

Guarantee you, Ford is working the phones right now to Big Money Donors (BMDs) promising that he's bringing in transfers to right the ship.  He's hustling right now to get the offers out.   If he's staying first sign will be AC(s) fired.   If he's going crickets until the axe.

Just my speculation based on how this stuff often goes down.