Coaching Carousel-2023

10 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

C. Mack to SLU, I don't want to get into bidding war with Providence.  I hear it's a nice town though.   What were they paying Cooley?

Who else is a Providence candidate?

It didnt go well for mack at his last job, might be some baggage

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

As I read on Wikipedia he taped one of his AC’s offering recruits pre NIL inducements. He then turned the tape into UL officials and got reprimanded for taping a phone call. He was then let go. Sounds strange to let a winning coach go for doing the right thing. On second thought, maybe not so strange at UL. 

BigMouthBilliken likes this

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

As I read on Wikipedia he taped one of his AC’s offering recruits pre NIL inducements. He then turned the tape into UL officials and got reprimanded for taping a phone call. He was then let go. Sounds strange to let a winning coach go for doing the right thing. On second thought, maybe not so strange at UL. 

And to think Slick Rick and his stripper scandal led him to two Catholic institutions, Iona and all likely St. John’s 

5 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

It was a really weird situation. He recorded a conversation with an assistant that was trying to extort him/UofL. Mack was fired for not following school guidelines after this occurred.   UofL was a mess and worried about more lawsuits, Pitino sued for $38mil.  That's not baggage that I'm worried about at SLU as it's all UofL specific. 

Just now, BigMouthBilliken said:

And to think Slick Rick and his stripper scandal led him to two Catholic institutions, Iona and all likely St. John’s 

Forgiveness my son.

Also the paying of the assistant to take the fall and act as bag man to the woman. If I recall correctly. 

Just now, slu72 said:

i think their was some ncaa violation also not sure.

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i think their was some ncaa violation also not sure.

Not by Mack. Mack was cleared. That's why he taped the assistant. 

3 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Looks like Mike Anderson is suing SJU over “for cause” firing. Would be hilarious if Providence swooped in and stole Pitino at the last minute.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ex-st-johns-coach-mike-anderson-planning-to-file-lawsuit-against-school-over-firing-for-cause/amp/

If I was Pitino with his history, I would be concerned about a school that wanted to play games when it comes to with cause firings. 

Mack could also draw interest from ND, Prov, Tx Tech. I think he’d be near the top of a lot of school’s list. Honestly. I don’t think SLU’s influencers are thinking there aren’t many guys who are a major upgrade over Travis. 

Providence Journal article behind paywall so I can't see whole thing, says Micah Shrewsberry (PSU) is a likely candidate at PC.   Not sure who else is mentioned. 

Round one of the 2023 March Madness basketball tournament is underway and this year’s tournament features nearly all of the highest-paid coaches in the NCAA.

College basketball coaches can stay at universities far longer than the players can, and they oftentimes become the face of a school’s basketball program — and are compensated well for that. Of the 15 highest-paid basketball coaches in the NCAA, 14 of them had their team qualify for the 2023 March Madness tournament.

Here’s a list of the highest-paid college basketball coaches based on their salary this year, which was compiled by BetMGM MGM, +1.33% :

1 John Calipari Kentucky $8.5 million
2 Bill Self Kansas $6 million
3 Tom Izzo Michigan St. $5.7 million
4 Rick Barnes Tennessee $5.5 million
4 Bruce Pearl Auburn $5.5 million
6 Tony Bennett Virginia $4.8 million
7 Brad Underwood Illinois $4.6 million
8 Bob Huggins West Virginia $4.2 million
9 Mick Cronin UCLA $4.1 million
9 Eric Musselman Arkansas $4.1 million
9 Buzz Williams Texas A&M $4.1 million
12 Dana Altman Oregon $4 million
12 Tommy Lloyd Arizona $4 million
14 Kevin Willard Maryland $3.9 million
15 Ed Cooley Providence $3.8 million

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Providence Journal article behind paywall so I can't see whole thing, says Micah Shrewsberry (PSU) is a likely candidate at PC.   Not sure who else is mentioned. 

The student becomes the teacher with the Billy Donovan Experience coming back to campus if the Bulls decide to move in another direction. They extended him back in the fall, but that’s a move that in hindsight the Reinsdorf Company will come to regret.

That’s the only PC-related move I can think of that makes any sense. 

10 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

The student becomes the teacher with the Billy Donovan Experience coming back to campus if the Bulls decide to move in another direction. They extended him back in the fall, but that’s a move that in hindsight the Reinsdorf Company will come to regret.

We know it’s you Metz. 

27 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Donovan was mentioned recently in connection with Texas but I think Rodney Terry will be retained since he made the Sweet 16.

thatskablamo likes this