Coaching Carousel-2023

51 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

There’s a possibility that May hangs on to Ford too long and they both wind up fired. 

Not buying that. Ford will get a pass for next year as it's a "rebuilding" year. I believe that May is counting on the Champions Center and NIL collective to improve recruiting and wants to see the impacts they'll have before making a decision. As a result, he'll give Ford two years to see how they influence the program. However, no NCAA tourney after the third year, then they'll make a move.

slu92 likes this

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Not buying that. Ford will get a pass for next year as it's a "rebuilding" year. I believe that May is counting on the Champions Center and NIL collective to improve recruiting and wants to see the impacts they'll have before making a decision. As a result, he'll give Ford two years to see how they influence the program. However, no NCAA tourney after the third year, then they'll make a move.

If May gives Ford 2 more years the nice Chaifetz Arena will look like a morgue...St. Louis fans won't spend money on a program with a history of not getting in the NCAA Tourney and hoops is the only real revenue sport. I frankly feel the St. Louis U hierarchy are giving May too much rope to allow Ford one more year. He supposedly had a loaded team that was a lock to make the Tourney this season and now he's 1 for 7...on any grading scale at SLU or any other U that is a F. Ford has had more than enough time to show he can coach and has not got the job he was hired to do.

slu92 likes this

IF a job opened like say Creighton, Xavier, Butler, St. Mary’s, etc not a P5 or Gonzaga would Travis Ford be a top candidate for any of those jobs based on his work at OK State or SLU the last 7 years? The answer is no way! So why are so many people fanatically defending and making excuses for this guy? I do not get it, please someone explain it to me. Wichita State is open and I’d be shocked if he even got a phone call. So all that being said why is he the answer at SLU? Great recruiter terrible in game coach. But let’s give him another 3/5 years hoping he will totally change what he’s done for almost 30 years of coaching. Give him a raise too! 

Schasz likes this

2 minutes ago, slu92 said:

IF a job opened like say Creighton, Xavier, Butler, St. Mary’s, etc not a P5 or Gonzaga would Travis Ford be a top candidate for any of those jobs based on his work at OK State or SLU the last 7 years? The answer is no way! So why are so many people fanatically defending and making excuses for this guy? I do not get it, please someone explain it to me. Wichita State is open and I’d be shocked if he even got a phone call. So all that being said why is he the answer at SLU? Great recruiter terrible in game coach. But let’s give him another 3/5 years hoping he will totally change what he’s done for almost 30 years of coaching. Give him a raise too! 

There is one at Western KY...earlier I read he might be a candidate but they have had some success in the NCAA Tourney in the not too distant past so we're probably out of luck.

6 minutes ago, Schasz said:

If May gives Ford 2 more years the nice Chaifetz Arena will look like a morgue...St. Louis fans won't spend money on a program with a history of not getting in the NCAA Tourney and hoops is the only real revenue sport. I frankly feel the St. Louis U hierarchy are giving May too much rope to allow Ford one more year. He supposedly had a loaded team that was a lock to make the Tourney this season and now he's 1 for 7...on any grading scale at SLU or any other U that is a F. Ford has had more than enough time to show he can coach and has not got the job he was hired to do.

How many D1 AD’s are allowed to hire three head coaches within 10 years or so in college football or mbb? This program has been to 1 NCAA over the last 9 seasons. Think about that and add in all the hype about this program for years! Best recruiter, best team ever, sweet 16 or bust, it’s annoying and the AD sounds like a fanboy  instead of a serious person in charge of an athletic department saying same things over and over and over…Travis Ford has to have pictures of him dressed as a furry. That’s my only guess at this point which makes sense. If AD is judged at a school like SLU on making ncaa he’s 1 for 9 last 9 seasons….didn’t hire Majerus but he did hire Crews and Ford. Sign me up for that job! What job can you hit your goals 1 out of 9 years in real world and still have a job? I know some posters are going to say I’m trolling, fine, but I think more will agree. I don’t personally hate Ford or May, just get people in positions that can get the job done. SLU can do so much better and fans/donors deserve better stewards of this program. 

Bizziken and JMM28 like this

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Apathy is the most dangerous thing in college athletics. Apathy has set in for this program. If May doesn’t see that - he deserves to be fired along with Ford. 

slu92 and Bizziken like this

10 minutes ago, Schasz said:

There is one at Western KY...earlier I read he might be a candidate but they have had some success in the NCAA Tourney in the not too distant past so we're probably out of luck.

Great place for him to go…now if he doesn’t even get a sniff that says it all because if I’m Ford I’m jumping before I get canned and that job would make sense for him to take. But we are assuming he’s smart enough to leave and slu is dumb enough to keep him AND that’s if w Kentucky would even consider him! Let him be greatest recruiter ever and not make ncaa down there on someone else’s dime! 

21 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Apathy is the most dangerous thing in college athletics. Apathy has set in for this program. If May doesn’t see that - he deserves to be fired along with Ford. 

Chris May was the last choice for AD after everyone on list else told Biondi no thanks and he was only one left in the pool because his cousin who was working in department at time pushed him for job bc he didn’t even want it. Then he fired that same cousin soon after taking the job. 

SLU_Lax likes this

28 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Chris May was the last choice for AD after everyone on list else told Biondi no thanks and he was only one left in the pool because his cousin who was working in department at time pushed him for job bc he didn’t even want it. Then he fired that same cousin soon after taking the job. 

His only good hire was HOFer Rick Majerus...Duh...that one fell into his lap. Other than that his batting average is not good at all. Time for a change at the Top!!!

49 minutes ago, Schasz said:

His only good hire was HOFer Rick Majerus...Duh...that one fell into his lap. Other than that his batting average is not good at all. Time for a change at the Top!!!

I don’t think he hired Majerus. Wasn’t Levick still here when Majerus was hired and she quit because Biondi hired him without her input.

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

I don’t think he hired Majerus. Wasn’t Levick still here when Majerus was hired and she quit because Biondi hired him without her input.

He has done well with other sports at times, but MBB is an important decision.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Hendrickson

Kalish

Tillett

Shields

and DUH......

He didn’t hire Hendrickson and technically he was flat out told to hire Kalish after 7 people turned the job down. Kavanaugh stepped in and told him hire Kevin Kalish. Ask slu soccer alumni guys about that one if you don’t believe me. I believe them 100%. He did hire McGinty who took soccer program down into the abyss and Lisa Stone and volleyball guy who was brutally bad that they just fired after ten years…..Shields just worked out because of timing when previous coach took Oregon job and nobody wanted the job and they settled for her thank god. Plus Katie Shields is smart enough to hire assistant coaches that are local and connected to club teams, just like Kalish. How many years did we hear about the great Lisa Stone and wbb program? Chris May spoke about her like she was Pat Summit for years. All I know is if Chris May talks up anything run in totally opposite direction biggest kiss of death in sports. 

I am so happy for wbb going to ncaa! Do not want to take anything away from job done by coaches with that team, but jury is out until at least a couple more seasons. I hope it works out! Who would’ve thought wbb would make ncaa this year and men wouldn’t….Tillet has just as many ncaa appearances as Travis Ford has had in 7 years making $2.4 million a year. Think about that one…

What’s gonna happen when they aren’t invited to NIT tonight? But Travis is a great recruiter! Seriously people we all want same thing, I care more about SLU than a coach or AD who honestly it’s just another job for them and when they move on could care less about program, fans or city. 

Dr Bird likes this

27 minutes ago, slu92 said:

What’s gonna happen when they aren’t invited to NIT tonight? But Travis is a great recruiter! Seriously people we all want same thing, I care more about SLU than a coach or AD who honestly it’s just another job for them and when they move on could care less about program, fans or city. 

0 at large bids in 7 years. Only NCAA tourney appearance was a lucky run to win the a10 tournament. Even that year they were tied for 6th in the league! Remember preseason this year was supposed to be “the year?” And it’s not like he’s working on the cheap either. What an embarrassment 

Last post for a while! Promise!

When Crews took over HC job officially I was invited to a season ticket holder lunch in the summer. Chris May went on and on about how Calbert Cheney was the programs secret weapon in recruiting, Tanner Bronson and was next Brad Stevens, Brett Jolly, Mike Crawford, Malik Yarbrough, Miles Reynolds, Ash Yacoubou, Marcus Bartley, Davell Roby, Austin Gillmann, Elliot Welmer….we still laugh about that lunch and that was as almost ten years ago….Chris May uses same canned lines just replacing the names. Rinse and repeat. In all honesty May should go run a mega church and make millions and millions of dollars and get out of college athletics. Wasting his “talent” and our time at SLU. Lol 

JMM28 likes this

4 hours ago, Schasz said:

Biondi himself hired Rickma behind then AD Cheryl Levick.   May wasn't at Saint Louis University when Rickma was hired.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Biondi himself hired Rickma behind then AD Cheryl Levick.   May wasn't at Saint Louis University when Rickma was hired.

So that means Chris May is 0fer in hiring the only real revenue sport at SLU. Time to change dance partners in the AD Chair too!!!