Portal effect on Bills the last two years

GOSLU68

The portal lets in players who care more about career than school or team. Both the players who come in and those already on the team or new recruits are effected by people on the court who do not learn or initiate plays the way teams do. They play as individuals. 

Help is no longer second nature. We have a team that scores ten-twenty points more than we did in past but has teams hit 15-17 three pointers when they average seven a game.

This is the new best available player not one that plays like coach Ford did in his day.

Just saying team basketball has taken a step backward- you might as well start watching the NBA-I am not a fan of basketball players who only pass if they can’t squeeze out a shot

SLU recruits/players out of the new, grad/transfer portal include Rashed Anthony, Tremaine Isabell, Dion Wiley, Tay Weaver, Marten Linssen, DeAndre Jones, Rashad Williams, Javon Pickett and Jake Forrester.  Nine guys with three success stories (Isabell, Forrester and Pickett).   Seems to me that we get transfers to fill a hole.  Getting three or four guys next year to fill major roles seems quite a stretch to me.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

SLU recruits/players out of the new, grad/transfer portal include Rashed Anthony, Tremaine Isabell, Dion Wiley, Tay Weaver, Marten Linssen, DeAndre Jones, Rashad Williams, Javon Pickett and Jake Forrester.  Nine guys with three success stories (Isabell, Forrester and Pickett).   Seems to me that we get transfers to fill a hole.  Getting three or four guys next year to fill major roles seems quite a stretch to me.

Might be a controversial take on my part but I’d take Linssen over Forrester in a heartbeat right now. 

On 2/24/2023 at 8:59 PM, stmdragons said:

Might be a controversial take on my part but I’d take Linssen over Forrester in a heartbeat right now. 

I agree with this.  Similar players.  I wouldn't want them both on a team but yeah I think I take a healthy Linnsen over Forrester.  

Isabell was not a success.  Almost torpedoed a season with his locker room nonsense.  He got hot for two weeks.  Similar to this year, that team had a ton of talent that couldn't/wouldn't play together.  Isabell was a big reason for that.  Gordon gets a lot of flack on the board, he certainly was a personality that needed to be handled with kid gloves but Isabell ran him off, not just the team but the campus.  No matter how talented or successful Isabell was our results were not that great and the amount he hurt that team and future teams didn't make up for 4 days in Brooklyn.

Looking at that list Ford has shot a lot of blanks on transfers.  You didn't add the 3 players that never suited up for us.

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

I agree with this.  Similar players.  I wouldn't want them both on a team but yeah I think I take a healthy Linnsen over Forrester.  

Isabell was not a success.  Almost torpedoed a season with his locker room nonsense.  He got hot for two weeks.  Similar to this year, that team had a ton of talent that couldn't/wouldn't play together.  Isabell was a big reason for that.  Gordon gets a lot of flack on the board, he certainly was a personality that needed to be handled with kid gloves but Isabell ran him off, not just the team but the campus.  No matter how talented or successful Isabell was our results were not that great and the amount he hurt that team and future teams didn't make up for 4 days in Brooklyn.

Looking at that list Ford has shot a lot of blanks on transfers.  You didn't add the 3 players that never suited up for us.

JUCOs are a good undervalued alternative, just too bad Rivera got hurt.

On 2/24/2023 at 8:59 PM, stmdragons said:

Not controversial in the slightest. Marten was a legitimately above average A-10 starter until he got hurt against Auburn. We miss his toughness tremendously. 

HoosierPal and stmdragons like this

Yes, I'd put Linssen in the success group and would take him over Forrester.  You have to tab Isabell as a success, it's Ford's only tournament team.  And that seems to be how we are defining success.  You can't count Ford's transfers that didn't play ---- they didn't play.  No results.  And those were traditional transfers who, like Bess and Foreman had to sit a year.   This thread and my response focus solely on the new transfer portal including grad transfers.  

If Rivera is only a scholarship filler, that is just pure dumb.  Is he practicing?  Is he providing practice fodder for the team?  If he's not, why not give the free ride to Hughes Jr. or one of the other walk-ons.  Why reward a guy with a free education if he's providing nothing and won't be back next year?  What are we paying him --- NIL-wise?

billiken_roy likes this

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Yes, I'd put Linssen in the success group and would take him over Forrester.  You have to tab Isabell as a success, it's Ford's only tournament team.  And that seems to be how we are defining success.  You can't count Ford's transfers that didn't play ---- they didn't play.  No results.  And those were traditional transfers who, like Bess and Foreman had to sit a year.   This thread and my response focus solely on the new transfer portal including grad transfers.  

If Rivera is only a scholarship filler, that is just pure dumb.  Is he practicing?  Is he providing practice fodder for the team?  If he's not, why not give the free ride to Hughes Jr. or one of the other walk-ons.  Why reward a guy with a free education if he's providing nothing and won't be back next year?  What are we paying him --- NIL-wise?

So let me get this straight; we recruit Daniel, tell him to come join our basketball team and we’ll give him a full ride scholarship. He breaks his foot, which is out of his control, and can’t practice for the year as a result. So in return, we should pull his scholarship, effectively leaving him to have to foot a 60k bill from SLU on his own while giving his scholarship to the walk-on that has a father that was a former NBA player that can easily afford the cost of SLU? 

VeniceMenace likes this

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

LHJ will be on scholarship next year, that was part of the deal.  Rivera was just that, to some degree.  It was a really late add and it didn't make a lot of sense.  He was gonna have a short window to prove he's worth keeping around and unfortunately the injury and surgery derailed those chances.  Ford would be absolutely crazy in a do for die year to waste a scholarship on more than 1 player who didn't play this year. I'm sure they will keep Thames, fine, so he cant risk also keeping Rivera around.  He needs as much proven talent coming in next year as possible. 

Just now, NoCoBillsFan said:

So let me get this straight; we recruit Daniel, tell him to come join our basketball team and we’ll give him a full ride scholarship. He breaks his foot, which is out of his control, and can’t practice for the year as a result. So in return, we should pull his scholarship, effectively leaving him to have to foot a 60k bill from SLU on his own while giving his scholarship to the walk-on that has a father that was a former NBA player that can easily afford the cost of SLU? 

SLU pays for his injury.. And the rest is yep. 

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

SLU pays for his injury.. And the rest is yep. 

Questioning why he was given a scholarship in the first place is fair. I think asking him to transfer after this season is also fair. But suggesting that his scholarship should be pulled mid-year and given to a walk on is wild and unethical. 

14 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Questioning why he was given a scholarship in the first place is fair. I think asking him to transfer after this season is also fair. But suggesting that his scholarship should be pulled mid-year and given to a walk on is wild and unethical. 

I didn't even see that part.  I was just saying going into next season LHJ will be on scholarship, and I would not be surprised if Rivera goes elsewhere. 

NoCoBillsFan likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

exactly!  this has to be managed better.

Pure guess, based on nothing I know as fact, but if Ford is back, I'm looking at 8 to 9 new players.  If he leaves, we also lose one to three incoming freshmen.

Gone:  Perkins, Pickett, Forrester, Thatch, Okoro, and from previous posts, Rivera.  (I'm going with the flow here with no other knowledge.)

50% chance of returning:  Collins, Jimerson, Parker, and Hargrove.  I'm guessing 2 go and 2 stay.

Freshmen:  Hughes, Cisse, Thames, and Kramer.  At least one departs.  That happens almost every year.

If Ford isn't back,  we will lose one to three of the incoming class.

Does Larry Hughes, Jr get a scholarship from Ford?  He certainly deserves it, but his dad reportedly made $13.6 Million in the League, so I'm not concerned about economic issues in the Hughes household.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Pure guess, based on nothing I know as fact, but if Ford is back, I'm looking at 8 to 9 new players.  If he leaves, we also lose one to three incoming freshmen.

Gone:  Perkins, Pickett, Forrester, Thatch, Okoro, and from previous posts, Rivera.  (I'm going with the flow here with no other knowledge.)

50% chance of returning:  Collins, Jimerson, Parker, and Hargrove.  I'm guessing 2 go and 2 stay.

Freshmen:  Hughes, Cisse, Thames, and Kramer.  At least one departs.  That happens almost every year.

Does Larry Hughes, Jr get a scholarship from Ford?  He certainly deserves it, but his dad reportedly made $13.6 Million in the League, so I'm not concerned about economic issues in the Hughes household.

actually the total of Larry's nba contracts was over $80 million dollars.

HoosierPal likes this

54 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Second hand comments I have heard; I understand Mr. Hughes has done well with some post-NBA investments.  Good for him and his family.

and getting in on the ground floor of missouri legalizing cannabis will be huge for him as well.   i have admired the way he conducts himself at the billiken games.   (he sits about 10 seats from me).   he handles the people that come up to talk to him so well.   always smiling and shaking hands.  he seems to be very humble and appreciative.  cant help but like him imo.   

cgeldmacher, wgstl, DOC and 2 others like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I know talking about players leaving is a weird yet big no-no here, but I also wonder with Momo. Reason behind that is as much as I love that kid, Ford has to know we need a starting center in the portal, plus the fact we have a few big's coming in. I'm pretty sure LHJ and Thames will stay. Kramer might be a wait to see who stays(Jimerson or parker).

The way I understand it is LHJ and Ford had some sort of understanding that LHJ would be a walk on the first year with a strong chance of earning a scholarship. Its obvious he is now officially deserving of that, although Ford would love to have a commitment from LHJ without putting him on scholarship if that is possible.  Maybe sr and Ford have a talk about that.  

The more I think about Yuri, the more I kinda think he stays.. He hasn't shown that he's ready for a bigger stage, which felt to be the case last year going into this season.  He can still make good NIL money here. Not saying I'm confident he stays, but I think its close to 50/0

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

and getting in on the ground floor of missouri legalizing cannabis will be huge for him as well.   i have admired the way he conducts himself at the billiken games.   (he sits about 10 seats from me).   he handles the people that come up to talk to him so well.   always smiling and shaking hands.  he seems to be very humble and appreciative.  cant help but like him imo.   

Can an NCAA athlete have an NIL deal with a cannabis company?  I know its legal, but I'm sure there's still old rules involved