Billiken Baseball 2023

OkieBilliken

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good start for SLU Baseball. I hope one day they get the resources they need and deserve, to be more consistently competitive at the highest levels of college baseball.

Rough start to the season so far for Minnesota. They are now 0-11. They were no-hit yesterday 4-0 by Vanderbilt. Vandy pulled back its top 5 weekend/mid week starters and, instead used a 4 relief pitcher, bullpen game, to do it. 

9 hours ago, BC1764 said:

make it 7-3. Now, if only the AD could refurbish the complex.

No doubt he has earned a better complex. It is quite impressive the level of success that has been achieved considering the facilities. Definitely doing more with less.

BC1764 likes this

Nice playing so far at Lindenwood.  Question: of the 3 Div 1 Baseball programs in the STL area, (SLU, SIUE, Lindenwood), why does SLU have the #3 facility?  If you think SLU doesn’t, then go visit the others and say why you think SLU’s baseball stadium is better.

Another win for us this afternoon makes it 8 in a row.   Nice turnaround for the squad missing their premier hitter and starting catcher for most of the early season.    We play another winless Big Ten team this weekend hosting Northwestern.     There are 2 really good teams in our league, VCU and Davidson.   It would be nice for us to be competitive with both of them this year.   

BC1764 and slu92 like this

4 hours ago, DirtyRican said:

I just left the game and don't understand why SLU can't built what Lindenwood has.  It is pretty embarrassing for the AD.  It would not take a lot.

It’s amazing how much money they’ve poured into sports. In fact, sports are the reason the entire institution exists. They came close to shutting down permanently in ‘89.

4 hours ago, DirtyRican said:

I just left the game and don't understand why SLU can't built what Lindenwood has.  It is pretty embarrassing for the AD.  It would not take a lot.

I haven’t overly “inspected” it, but have driven past it a few times and even the baseball field at Maryville looks much nicer with the synthetic turf. Heck, touring Chaminade with my nephew and getting a tour from the baseball coach, I’m not so sure we stack up with their field (although they need a new mound) haha.

It can’t cost that much to get the program a respectable field! They really deserve it.

12 hours ago, BC1764 said:

It’s amazing how much money they’ve poured into sports. In fact, sports are the reason the entire institution exists. They came close to shutting down permanently in ‘89.

My neighbor has had 3 kids play soccer there and we have spent a good amount of time over the last 10 years watching games, it is amazing the transformation that campus has made with their sports.  I spent an inning listening to their radio broadcast and was very impressed.  May and the AD should go there and take some notes.

12 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I haven’t overly “inspected” it, but have driven past it a few times and even the baseball field at Maryville looks much nicer with the synthetic turf. Heck, touring Chaminade with my nephew and getting a tour from the baseball coach, I’m not so sure we stack up with their field (although they need a new mound) haha.

It can’t cost that much to get the program a respectable field! They really deserve it.

Maryville does have a terrific field and great, picturesque location at the bottom of that hill.   Nice place to watch a game, if you can stand D2 pitching.  

5 hours ago, DirtyRican said:

My neighbor has had 3 kids play soccer there and we have spent a good amount of time over the last 10 years watching games, it is amazing the transformation that campus has made with their sports.  I spent an inning listening to their radio broadcast and was very impressed.  May and the AD should go there and take some notes.

Yeah, the baseball complex is impressive. Hunter Stadium is one of the finest venues in FCS and it’s only a matter of time before they expand near the south end zone.

• Impressive the way they feasted on Northwestern pitching on Friday.   We are 5-0 against the Big Ten conference.   Chaminade grad Purdue transfer Pat Clohisy who got 8 abs with 0 hits all last year has been absolutely raking.   That was a huge portal win for Coach DH.   We have won 10 in a row without arguably our best hitter Cam Redding who is still a month or so away from returning.   VCU who are usually excellent have struggled a bit in non-conference after having to replace their head coach.   Davidson is struggling massively after also replacing their head coach.   Might be a fun spring!     
Box and Won likes this

23 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:
  • Impressive the way they feasted on Northwestern pitching on Friday.   We are 5-0 against the Big Ten conference.   Chaminade grad Purdue transfer Pat Clohisy who got 8 abs with 0 hits all last year has been absolutely raking.   That was a huge portal win for Coach DH.   We have won 10 in a row without arguably our best hitter Cam Redding who is still a month or so away from returning.   VCU who are usually excellent have struggled a bit in non-conference after having to replace their head coach.   Davidson is struggling massively after also replacing their head coach.   Might be a fun spring!     

This weekend series will be a real test

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Billikens about to get underway @ San Jose State on the Mountain West Network. Super easy to download and fire up the stream on your favorite device, don't even need to log into anything.

This is how it should be for every non- power 5 conference honestly.

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Team’s 23-11, 8-1 and barely a mention

RPI: 225

Davidson has an RPI of 71; VCU has an RPI of 52. SLU no longer plays Missouri in the wood bat games in O’Fallon, etc. Probably the one sport leaving C-USA was the best (and worst) thing, but we can’t even get a good regional series going with a program in the upper echelon of college baseball. Even if we get to the NCAA tournament, we end up as cannon fodder to Ole Miss or get sent halfway across the country to play in front of crowds this program could only dream of.

It is a shame and our Billiken 9 deserve better.