The Bills over RI by 12

The Wiz

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

I am sooo confused on every reply.  The only thing I've talked about is the bench players need to be more vocal and cheer on the team.  You keep responding with NIL deals and teams not buying into Ford. 

It's immaterial.

Guys yelling doesn't make plays happen.

Win games and players will be more excited, as will fans.

The cheer team is already doing what you're talking about.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

It's immaterial.

Guys yelling doesn't make plays happen.

Win games and players will be more excited, as will fans.

The cheer team is already doing what you're talking about.

You cannot with a straight face tell me teammates getting excited doesn't help the players on the court in at least the smallest of ways.  

billiken_roy likes this

It may not seem fair but it’s right there in the record books.  I understand you can make that same argument with Tony being the #2 career leader in wins but also look at his losses.  There are also a lot of players or coaches that are high on a given list of accomplishments that don’t have the high negative totals. The other stat that isn’t kept track of (or at least published) is the number of I’ll-advised shots or bad decisions he made that resulted in a lost possession but didn’t count as  turnover.  He had 8 assists and 6 turnovers.  Add in a minimum of 6 BAD decisions and if it were hockey he may be in the minus.

You cannot with a straight face tell me teammates getting excited doesn't help the players on the court in at least the smallest of ways.  

The cheer squad is already out there and looks a lot better doing it.

What you're suggesting is that the benchers need pom-poms.

What I'm suggesting is that our guys will do this when we start over performing expectations and have legitimate reasons to get excited.

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I am sooo confused on every reply.  The only thing I've talked about is the bench players need to be more vocal and cheer on the team.  You keep responding with NIL deals and teams not buying into Ford. 

From what I’ve seen, the bench does cheer when the team scores or makes a play.  If you expect the guys in the bench to go through months of practice, rarely or never see any action, and cheer constantly when they are watching the same crap fans are—may be asking too much.  Seems like the bench cheering section is just fine.  Maybe give them something to cheer for and there won’t be any need for criticism.  Maybe there is frustration, lack of respect, or personality conflicts.  They could be as tight as brothers who knows, but the a supposed lack of cheering from the bench is the least of this teams concerns.

Just now, BANGheGOTit said:

From what I’ve seen, the bench does cheer when the team scores or makes a play.  If you expect the guys in the bench to go through months of practice, rarely or never see any action, and cheer constantly when they are watching the same crap fans are—may be asking too much.  Seems like the bench cheering section is just fine.  Maybe give them something to cheer for and there won’t be any need for criticism.

That's exactly the problem, it works both ways, naturally.  When the bench gets excited, the players tend to dive for balls, rebound more aggressively on defense, a lot of things.  It doesn't mean the players have to do something first for the bench to get excited..

That's exactly the problem, it works both ways, naturally.  When the bench gets excited, the players tend to dive for balls, rebound more aggressively on defense, a lot of things.  It doesn't mean the players have to do something first for the bench to get excited..

Sorry, not buying what you’re selling.  These are D1 athletes playing in front of 7000+ people.  If you need a cheer section from 5 bench guys to fire you up then you’re lacking something.  The intensity comes from the rabid fans to fill the place.  I’m guessing hearing 5000-10000 fans cheering for a hustle play gets a player more fired up than the business major walk-on jumping up and down.

6 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

That's absurd....

Slight clarification, this is for coaches who just win it like once.  If a coach has a history or winning conf tourneys then that's an exception, and that coach is just legit. But doing it once* is more luck.

you have all season to build a resume for both the team and a coach. 

3 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

@wgstl so a coach that wins 25 games in a top conference shouldn’t get credit for winning the automatic bid?  Even if a 6th seed 12 win team goes on a run and wins—they still deserve the accolades.

If you win 25 games in a top conference, you're getting the auto bid, so doesn't matter. And if the coach would rather get credit for the conf tourney than the at large bid, he can do that since he got both.

My biggest point is with Ford.  We keep saying well he won the A10T in 2018 so he did make the tournament.  doing it just once, and needing the A10T to do it shows luck, and he couldn't get it done in the regular season.

The bench excit-o-meter is a symptom of the problem. Players are not bought in, engaged.

The individual players are inconsistent the team effort, especially on defense is inconsistent.   This could be expected from a young team not 1 of the most experienced teams in the country. 

If you can't get it done with a contributor that's playing on the Wizards who played with 1 of the best A10 rebounders/rim protectors or get it done with the Nation's Assist Leader who can you get it done with?

I don't think he can effectively coach defense.

Bizziken likes this

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

If you win 25 games in a top conference, you're getting the auto bid, so doesn't matter. And if the coach would rather get credit for the conf tourney than the at large bid, he can do that since he got both.

My biggest point is with Ford.  We keep saying well he won the A10T in 2018 so he did make the tournament.  doing it just once, and needing the A10T to do it shows luck, and he couldn't get it done in the regular season.

I do understand, just giving you a little pushback lol.  I almost had the opposite, similar view (I guess).  I was never a Norm Stewart fan growing up or as I got older.  I got sick of the emphasis he put on winning the Big 8 but seemed to always bow out way too early in the NCAA tournament.  It was infuriating.  Now I’m feeling confused because I would love to have a consistent tournament appearance for SLU like Mizzou used to do under Norm lol.

2 hours ago, BANGheGOTit said:

I’m sure a lot of rosters around the country are similar, but it sure seems that Travis will recruit someone, they rot on the bench and inevitably they transfer.   There have been enough guys rotate out of this program to field a competitive D one team and here we are every single year with a seven man rotation

would you list that roster for me?

majerus mojo likes this

3 hours ago, SLUMS81 said:

Wish the 200 or so student athletes honored at halftime had stayed for the second half.

that was sad and infuriating to see the student section go from full to half full the second half.   one would think "teams' would all appreciate the support as they play their games/matches and love the fan support as well.  so why all go home?

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Nesbitt and JBJ are the only players who could play defense, but those two were never rotted out of the rotation

Rotting on the bench is different for different guys.  You don’t think Nesbitt didn’t think he belonged on the court 35-40 min every game??  If you’re getting 20 min and think you deserve 40, you’re thinking you’re rotting on the bench.

billiken_roy likes this

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Nesbitt and JBJ are the only players who could play defense, but those two were never rotted out of the rotation

3 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Oh man, I always hated homework.  Let me get on it.  Just FYI I am also using the entirety of the Ford tenure here.  This has been a theme for 7 seasons.

i think you will have a hard time finding many that went on to have a good career elsewhere

1 minute ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Rotting on the bench is different for different guys.  You don’t think Nesbitt didn’t think he belonged on the court 35-40 min every game??  If you’re getting 20 min and think you deserve 40, you’re thinking you’re rotting on the bench.

nesbitt plays 33 minutes a game for hampton and his stats are not impressive

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that was sad and infuriating to see the student section go from full to half full the second half.   one would think "teams' would all appreciate the support as they play their games/matches and love the fan support as well.  so why all go home?

This has been happening for as long as I can remember.  

26 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Sure.  That said, nesbitt wasn't deserving of it, he played about as many minutes as he should have. 

31 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i think you will have a hard time finding many that went on to have a good career elsewhere

I said a “competitive” D1 team.  I didn’t say Ford let all-conference players walk, I’m just saying he doesn’t use his bench and some of those players move on.  Did Jimmy Bell Jr go for grades? Did he want more playing time?  I’m not going to spend hours trying to look up why someone left, but even if someone doesn’t go on to score 14 points a night doesn’t mean I couldn’t put a roster together and let a quality good D1 coach direct them to be a competitive team—instead of never seeing action on the SLU floor.  Love him or hate him, Carte’are Gordon has skill, KC Hankton, Jimmy Bell, Demarius Jacobs, Phillip Russell, Jordan Nesbitt, Markhi Strickland…some of these guys could have been handled better to get more out of them.  They may not be a top 200 NET team as a collective group, but we saw last night what a sub 200 net team can do against the #2 team in the A10.

1 minute ago, BANGheGOTit said:

I said a “competitive” D1 team.  I didn’t say Ford let all conference players walk, I’m just saying he doesn’t use his bench and some of those players move on.  Did Jimmy Bell Jr go for grades? Did he want more playing time?  I’m not going to spend hours trying to look up why someone left, but even if someone doesn’t go on to score 14 points a night doesn’t mean I couldn’t put a roster together and let a quality good D1 coach direct them to be a competitive team—instead of never seeing action on there SLU floor.  Love him or hate him, Carte’are Gordon has skill, KC Hankton, Jimmy Bell, Demarius Jacobs, Phillip Russell, Jordan Nesbitt, Markhi Strickland…some of these guys could have been handled better to get more out of them.  They may not be a top 200 NET team as a collective group, but we saw last night what a sub 200 net team can do against the #2 team in the A10.

It's easier said than done, new guy. There are only so many minutes to go around, so by distributing minutes to these players you think deserve more you are taking them from the best players on the team and in turn putting yourself at risk to lose them. 

Take your pick - do you want Yuri, Jimerson, Perkins, Okoro leaving or Lassina Traore and Andre Lorentssen?