Rightly or wrongly, whether many want to admit it or not

BC1764

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

How do you know?  I just find it hard to believe that the AD could make that kind of a financial commitment without BOE and the President's approval.

They'd have to sign off, but they aren't going to override the well-paid athletic directors decision either..

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

a 5 year setback can definitely happen with a bad coaching hire. And can also send us right into the NCAA tournament in year 1 with a good coaching hire.  

we're on year 4 of being close but no cigar in the regular season. Everyone's different, but I'm sick of being just "close".  

This all said, there may be an answer for both sides. Lets say Ford comes back next year(better chance than not), and doesn't make the tournament , are you ok with moving on then? or do we need to see what he can do in year 9 to finally get a good idea?

With the portal today this should not happen

Littlebill and BC1764 like this

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

Curious why you are so convinced the next hire will be a cheap one. If high money donors are willing to cut the cord on Travis, then they will be willing to pony up for a serious replacement. You don't make that former decision without assurances of the latter. 

thats not always the case.   mi$$ouri bought out cuomzo but then hired a mid major unknown coach instead of going big.   granted it seems to have worked out well thanks to using the portal and i assume NiL money, and they hang on to a bubble spot currently for the tourney. more times than not that doesnt work out as well.   i havent seen evidence we are going to be able to play in the NiL sandbox for an entire roster overhaul like mi$$ouri did.    

pakapablo likes this

16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

With the portal today this should not happen

not every team doing wholesale portal moves has moved up.   tomorrow's foe, rhodey sure didnt.

32 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

thats not always the case.   mi$$ouri bought out cuomzo but then hired a mid major unknown coach instead of going big.   granted it seems to have worked out well thanks to using the portal and i assume NiL money, and they hang on to a bubble spot currently for the tourney. more times than not that doesnt work out as well.   i havent seen evidence we are going to be able to play in the NiL sandbox for an entire roster overhaul like mi$$ouri did.    

According to Jerry Palm their " bubble spot" is a 7 or 8 seed. I agree with your NIL assessment. 

10 minutes ago, willie said:

According to Jerry Palm their " bubble spot" is a 7 or 8 seed. I agree with your NIL assessment. 

they are 48 in the current NET.    48 divided by 4 = 12th seed.   of course i assume jerry is speaking as an ncaa power conference elite snob and that he thinks there are some mid major teams ahead of the tigers in the NET that he would demote just because they arent in the 5 major conferences.  thus his promotion to a higher seed.  

Has anyone here seen TF's contract? How many years are left? Buyout? Special clauses?

I think there is a lot of misinformation in this thread that we all need to be skeptical of treating as gospel. I am skeptical the buyout is anywhere near $7.5 million, but that is just my opinion. TF came here after a buyout of what was basically a 10 year extension at OSU. Seems like that maybe was a lesson. Hope SLU learned from it.

I will add to the mix of gossip here...

I have heard several big dollar boosters have expressed fatigue at being asked for $ for NIL. They feel they do a lot already and a small group was hit up for $ for the current recruiting cycle and the players already here. Wondering how they would feel if tapped for a buyout.

I have also heard Chris May is very loyal to TF. 

In terms of the BOT, I don't know if they review and approve the contract for the highest paid employee of the university (I bet they do after weighing the ADs recommendation), but I do know the current Chair is at every home game and has been for over 40 years. I think he is interested, invested, and engaged in the team's success. 

Chris May is paid a lot of $ to make thse kinds of decisions. Like him or not, he has done some really good things in his time. Ultimatley the success or failure of men's basketball will determine if he gets the P5 jobs all these guys covet. I would bet there are some tough conversations being tee'd up for when the season ends.

I will say one last thing. Dr. Chaifetz's tweet after Friday's game to me signifies a sea change in his attitude. I think that is worth watching closely. 

5 minutes ago, shempie said:

I will say one last thing. Dr. Chaifetz's tweet after Friday's game to me signifies a sea change in his attitude. I think that is worth watching closely. 

I mentioned this the other day.  I don't think DRc tweet was meant that he is ready to move on, but I do think he recognizes that Ford isn't doing a good enough job.  

shempie likes this

I have heard several big dollar boosters have expressed fatigue at being asked for $ for NIL. They feel they do a lot already and a small group was hit up for $ for the current recruiting cycle and the players already here. Wondering how they would feel if tapped for a buyout

If true, then SLU athletics is in trouble.

1 hour ago, shempie said:

Has anyone here seen TF's contract? How many years are left? Buyout? Special clauses?

I think there is a lot of misinformation in this thread that we all need to be skeptical of treating as gospel. I am skeptical the buyout is anywhere near $7.5 million, but that is just my opinion. TF came here after a buyout of what was basically a 10 year extension at OSU. Seems like that maybe was a lesson. Hope SLU learned from it.

I will add to the mix of gossip here...

I have heard several big dollar boosters have expressed fatigue at being asked for $ for NIL. They feel they do a lot already and a small group was hit up for $ for the current recruiting cycle and the players already here. Wondering how they would feel if tapped for a buyout.

I have also heard Chris May is very loyal to TF. 

In terms of the BOT, I don't know if they review and approve the contract for the highest paid employee of the university (I bet they do after weighing the ADs recommendation), but I do know the current Chair is at every home game and has been for over 40 years. I think he is interested, invested, and engaged in the team's success. 

Chris May is paid a lot of $ to make thse kinds of decisions. Like him or not, he has done some really good things in his time. Ultimatley the success or failure of men's basketball will determine if he gets the P5 jobs all these guys covet. I would bet there are some tough conversations being tee'd up for when the season ends.

The last mention I can find about a Travis extension publicly being reported was a tweet from Stu at the end of last season saying he was extended in 2019.  If nothing has changed since then, you would think he would probably have another year left probably some what above what we know he was paid according to SLU's last published 990 of the 20-21 season total compensation of $2,371,856.  So if there wasn't another extension since that one, they would probably owe him +/-$2.5 million.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The last mention I can find about a Travis extension publicly being reported was a tweet from Stu at the end of last season saying he was extended in 2019.  If nothing has changed since then, you would think he would probably have another year left probably some what above what we know he was paid according to SLU's last published 990 of the 20-21 season total compensation of $2,371,856.  So if there wasn't another extension since that one, they would probably owe him +/-$2.5 million.

Time to fish and cut bait!

@shempie your gossip all makes a lot of sense. It does seem like the new project at Chaifetz came at a bad time. The big $ folks were hit up for that, then we have a somewhat sad end to the season with the back to back uncompetitive losses, SLU did not seem proactive in the NIL game, Yuri announces he is transferring, big $ folks are hit up to bring him back and forced to learn about NIL, and now a dud of a season to this point. You have to question whether the new project at Chaifetz was the best use of funds with how NIL has evolved into a true pay for play structure. Regardless, I could understand why folks are getting a bit tired of being continually hit up for $ and being asked to buyout a coach (unless those folks were somehow involved in that contract extension) might be a big ask. The next month will be interesting. I’m not passionate either way on Ford, but with how the funding of the program has changed over the past 15 years, I assume the expectations of those who have contributed to that increased funding have raised as well and I think those folks have some input on a decision like this.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

@shempie your gossip all makes a lot of sense. It does seem like the new project at Chaifetz came at a bad time. The big $ folks were hit up for that, then we have a somewhat sad end to the season with the back to back uncompetitive losses, SLU did not seem proactive in the NIL game, Yuri announces he is transferring, big $ folks are hit up to bring him back and forced to learn about NIL, and now a dud of a season to this point. You have to question whether the new project at Chaifetz was the best use of funds with how NIL has evolved into a true pay for play structure. Regardless, I could understand why folks are getting a bit tired of being continually hit up for $ and being asked to buyout a coach (unless those folks were somehow involved in that contract extension) might be a big ask. The next month will be interesting. I’m not passionate either way on Ford, but with how the funding of the program has changed over the past 15 years, I assume the expectations of those who have contributed to that increased funding have raised as well and I think those folks have some input on a decision like this.

The project you are talking about will probably be a bigger plus for the non revenue sports.

@Cowboy II--- It means Chris May has personally heard stories of growing discontent with Ford.  The guy is in the stands.  He's at functions.  I am 100% positive the AD reads this board at times.  Maybe daily.  I would think that we are a small yet vocal faction of the overall fan base.  I'm not so brash to make statements pertaining to the total alumni base but the alumni base I do know is asking these very same questions and raising doubts.  

@BANGheGOTit--- seating capacities around the A10 are: Dayton, 13,407; Chaifetz, 10,600; Siegel/VCU, 7631; Robbins/Richmond, 7201; Cooper/Duquesne, 3500; Ryan/Rhodey, 7657; Belk/Davidson, 5223; Rose Hill/Fordham, 3200; Reilly/Bonaventure, 4860; Mullins/Umass, 9493; Eagle Bank/Mason, 10,000; Hagan/Joeys, 4200; Smith/Geedubya, 4738; Loyola, 4486; and Gola/La Salle, 4000.  Dayton and VCU sell out every game.  Fordham's capacity is down about 1000 due to construction at one end.  To me, the best place to actually watch a game is at th enewly renovated Cooper Fieldhouse at Duquesne.  

The Valley Sucks likes this

On 2/4/2023 at 8:15 AM, billiken_roy said:

i assume you have the supposed $7.5 Million lined up to buy him out and the $10 million needed to sign a better coach for a 4 year guaranteed contract?   if you do, then i am with you all the way.  

for those of you supporting our BoT, if you think they are ponying up for all of Fords compensation you are beyond naive.   if up to them ford would make the same money as our new volleyball coach.   we are lucky Chris May is the fund raiser he is, but there comes a point in time he cant go to the well again successfully, and my guess says if he isnt to that point yet, he is close.  Chaifetz's twitter post seemed a little out of character for me.   i took it to say this is getting close to unbearable for him.   that doesnt mean necessarily he will buck up again.   it could mean it's time for him to take his wallet full time to pickleball.   we dont know. 

this is definitely a crossroad i hoped we would never be at.   so close, and yet so far away.  (that should be a song.)

I understand the risk involved and the cost involved in making a change, but let’s assume large donors are also very frustrated and for sake of argument may be getting a little older and would like to see a certain level of success real soon, rather than hope they get it.  Nobody wants to see 11-18 win season’s anymore, but if you measure success just in hitting 20-22 wins and a possible NIT, why not just schedule all OOC games against 300+RPI or NET ranked teams and get your 20 win season trophy and be happy?  Some fans are afraid to give up the Ford level of success. Yes he’s brought a fair level of respect back, but is making the NCAA Tournament once in 7 seasons, needing a miracle run to do it, and going back to OKST it’s more like 9 or 10 seasons with 1 appearance—is THAT the level of success you want?  You’re afraid to give up a Drake or Evansville level of success?  Fans are hurt over not getting a BigEast invite and the program has to pray for a double bye in the A10 tournament every year??  Some fans may be worried about non-revenue generating sports, but with only one major sport that generates $$ for the rest of them, MOST fans just don’t care about the other sports.  The focus needs to be on what feeds you. 

i am not disagreeing with you.   i am just saying if a switch is made it has to be an obvious for the better move, and I just dont see the big donors stepping up now to the degree it will cost.  hey if i am wrong and they can get the likes of jay wright to come out of retirement or somebody with that sort of a history, do it yesterday.   but we saw in the posts yesterday the big donors were already pushing back last year on the NiL stuff.  that was peanuts compared to what it would cost to fire ford and hire a sure thing coach now.  

now if you play out ford's contract, then that cuts quite the chunk off the needed funds to switch.   sure we will likely get this season again the next three years, but at least it wont be the likes of ekkertime or crewsplatt which is a chance if we go cheap on a new coach.   

but again, i am not against opportunities, i just dont want to start completely over with an unknown or previous failed wanna be.