FORGET THE NET

slu72

We have no chance of making the Dance via the NET. The only way is winning it all in Bklyn. We do have a team that can do that, but if we don’t it’s another year of disappointment. Please give up the NET discussion. That is gone. Let’s just pull off a sweep in Bklyn. 

46 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The net is a tool to HELP the committee, it wasn’t a source to rely on. 

ill say it again, Friday is as big as tonight.  We need to be a 1 seed to avoid vcu and Dayton till the final .

Can we find a way to avoid Fordham as well?

27 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Can we find a way to avoid Fordham as well?

Oh come on. Our worst game of the year, and their biggest game at home and it came down to the end. I’ll take Fordham over maybe 7 other a10 teams 

35 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Oh come on. Our worst game of the year, and their biggest game at home and it came down to the end. I’ll take Fordham over maybe 7 other a10 teams 

I think our worst game of the year was siue... that should never happen...and I remember the Maryland game was our worst game against their best game... and auburn was a mess. How many times is it or worst game or we just kick ourselves in the junk?

billikenbill likes this

6 hours ago, RamJAMTIME said:

I think our worst game of the year was siue... that should never happen...and I remember the Maryland game was our worst game against their best game... and auburn was a mess. How many times is it or worst game or we just kick ourselves in the junk?

SIUE was bad because it was a home game and we blew a 17(?) point lead. Maryland and Auburn were road/neutral court contests and both ended up being ranked teams, so honestly no one expected us to win those even if we did compete. Fordham was on the road, but was a WTF kind of game.

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

Fordham was better than SLU last night by a wide margin. They would be a tough matchup in Brooklyn (so would about 2/3 of the league).

46 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Fordham was better than SLU last night by a wide margin. They would be a tough matchup in Brooklyn (so would about 2/3 of the league).

Sadly, yes.

1 hour ago, JettFlight5 said:

true, but shouldnt be.   this slu team has a real talent for making things more difficult than it should be.   

hey look, okoro is open...........never mind (as fordham just takes the ball and goes for a layup.)

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

true, but shouldnt be.   this slu team has a real talent for making things more difficult than it should be.   

hey look, okoro is open...........never mind (as fordham just takes the ball and goes for a layup.)

We're not an especially big team or a team with enough quickness to make up for it. Once I saw Moore I knew he would be a matchup nightmare for us. TJ gave it everything he had, used every defensive fundamental a 4 man can use, but didn't have the size or lateral quickness to keep Moore from getting where he wanted to go. Pickett is even less effective despite being an inch or two taller. As mentioned before, the player who would have made a real difference on this team was Andrew Carr. Thought we had a real shot at him but he got away.

At this point, I see 13-5 being our ceiling in conference play with 12-6 more likely. We can't cover up all of our weaknesses and other coaches have figured out how to exploit them.

10 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

We're not an especially big team or a team with enough quickness to make up for it. Once I saw Moore I knew he would be a matchup nightmare for us. TJ gave it everything he had, used every defensive fundamental a 4 man can use, but didn't have the size or lateral quickness to keep Moore from getting where he wanted to go. Pickett is even less effective despite being an inch or two taller. As mentioned before, the player who would have made a real difference on this team was Andrew Carr. Thought we had a real shot at him but he got away.

At this point, I see 13-5 being our ceiling in conference play with 12-6 more likely. We can't cover up all of our weaknesses and other coaches have figured out how to exploit them.

dont act like hargrove is the be all end all.   5 games ago he was buried on the bench.   that said, hargrove is no less a player than moore.   moore just came to play.   besides okoro, i didnt see much care, passion or effort from any billiken last night.   do not excuse the billikens last night.   no way fordham should beat us.   no way it should even be a single digit win.   that was just a poor poor poor effort last night.   to not be ready to play is inexcuseable imo.

7 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Can't say you are wrong here. I'd rather see anger than apathy though. 

i cant say there has been one game this year we saw billiken daggers like play.   any team hits, we shrink away.   we dont punch back harder.   as i believe our new messgageboard foe BD some unknown number said, the billikens are soft.   cant disagree at all.   i would love for them to just show us.  betting they will not.  

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

besides okoro, i didnt see much care, passion or effort from any billiken last night.   do not excuse the billikens last night.  

I liked Mr. Hughes 8 minutes last night. He had steals, deflections, and diving to the end line for that save was pure effort. 

9 hours ago, RamJAMTIME said:

siue was a huge mental collapse.  Shooting-wise, it was one of our best games all year.  I saw Fordham is our worst game because we didn't attempt to shoot 3's, we stopped going down low with Okoro who couldn't be stopped.  We kept using pickett lol as the PG.  In all it was the worst game of the year imo. 

billiken_roy likes this

Just now, HoosierPal said:

I liked Mr. Hughes 8 minutes last night. He had steals, deflections, and diving to the end line for that save was pure effort. 

LHJ is the one who should have been playing along side Yuri, not pickett. 

12 hours ago, slu72 said:

We have no chance of making the Dance via the NET. The only way is winning it all in Bklyn. We do have a team that can do that, but if we don’t it’s another year of disappointment. Please give up the NET discussion. That is gone. Let’s just pull off a sweep in Bklyn. 

Fuhgeddaboudit GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

11 hours ago, wgstl said:

The net is a tool to HELP the committee, it wasn’t a source to rely on. 

ill say it again, Friday is as big as tonight.  We need to be a 1 seed to avoid vcu and Dayton till the final .

Prior to last night's game when I naively thought we had a shot at an at-large, I was thinking a loss to Dayton or VCU in the finals wouldn't derail our chances at said at-large (depending how the rest of the regular season played out). Now that we unequivocally have no shot at an at-large, I really don't care if we play VCU or Dayton in the semis or finals. In either scenario we will have to win that game in order to dance. I also wouldn't overlook our first game opponent though. If this team excels at one thing it's underachieving. 

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Fuhgeddaboudit GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Prior to last night's game when I naively thought we had a shot at an at-large, I was thinking a loss to Dayton or VCU in the finals wouldn't derail our chances at said at-large (depending how the rest of the regular season played out). Now that we unequivocally have no shot at an at-large, I really don't care if we play VCU or Dayton in the semis or finals. In either scenario we will have to win that game in order to dance. I also wouldn't overlook our first game opponent though. If this team excels at one thing it's underachieving. 

There is no team worth over looking.  The point I was making of the importance of still finishing first is that you avoid having to play BOTH vcu and UD.  I think we can all agree that playing both of those two team is more difficult than just playing one of those. 

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

There is no team worth over looking.  The point I was making of the importance of still finishing first is that you avoid having to play BOTH vcu and UD.  I think we can all agree that playing both of those two team is more difficult than just playing one of those. 

Agree. Although it would be fun to beat both on our way to an A10 championship

Lessons I learned last night

1- we really miss Fred Thatch

2- we can’t win a game if we are exclusively depending on FO to lead us to that win. His first half last night was awesome, he reverted to the mean in the second. 
3- if this team isnt crankin’ up and hitting 3’s, they are lifeless.

4- we quisenberry last night reminded me of JJett his senior year.

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Looking at Fordham's remaining schedule, I wouldn't count them out of the top 3 just yet. Looks like VCU has the easiest path to the 1 seed.