GDT: Fordham; What do basketball players call the first meal of the day?

SluSignGuy

-why do all of our players leave their feet on defense? my 4th grade coach tried to teach that to me

-a lot of times we are so casual with the ball and as if on cue here comes VCU

-how about playing Larry and Yuri at the same time? or Larry in the 2nd half? why can't he play in the 2nd half?

-I thought we were the tough team but we give up so many and one's it is comical

-TJH had the ball stolen from him on a ft rebound by a freshman

-Franco had a great game but why was he in the game in the last minute? we weren't feeding him 

-Sincere, why pressure at the end? have some class

-on the post game CFord said there were a lot of guys that we didn't much from, okay, why did you stay with them? why not try others? CFord you give folks talking points against you

-this was an intense game, Fordham was fresher down the stretch but we have a rule against expanding the rotation even when after the game CFord says we had guys not giving much

-did we foul a 3pt shooter? I don't remember that from last night

-in the grand scheme of things, a good Fordham is good for the A10 and good for Fordham last night, sucks for us, but great for those fans to get to experience that

billiken_roy likes this

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, wgstl said:

That’s the thing tho. This league only has 3 teams to worry about on a neutral court. The 2 and 3 play on one side of the bracket. So getting a 1, hell, a 4 seed is better than 2-3 imo 

We lost to SIUE at home.  We need to worry about every team on a neutral court. 

gobillsgo likes this

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is what was reported:  Javonte Perkins and Javon Pickett ran the offense quite a bit with the expectation that they would be able to create shots on their own against the Fordham defense. Along with Sincere Parker, they combined to make six of 23 shots.

You think the coach would have adjusted the game plan when this proved to not work, but he never did.

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is what was reported:  Javonte Perkins and Javon Pickett ran the offense quite a bit with the expectation that they would be able to create shots on their own against the Fordham defense. Along with Sincere Parker, they combined to make six of 23 shots.

Well that didn’t work out. As I mentioned last night, Pickett was playing 3rd grade YMCA ball. Looking directly down at his shoes as he dribbled into two or sometimes three taller players only to throw up a prayer of a layup that more often than not had no chance. giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b5ipecujfr3c544upcm

for as much as Pickett handled the ball, he had ZERO assists on the night. 

1 hour ago, Scoop said:

I’m confused why Yuri didn’t have the ball in his hands against the pressure. That is exactly when you want your dominant pg to have the ball. Quoting Yuri from an article earlier in the season, “Just go get it”.  He didn’t. I like JP bringing up the ball on occasion to get his but not against mad pressure. He was getting mauled all night. Then Okoro not getting fed in the 2nd half is puzzling.  How about a pick for Gibby? Bad game. We can still win the conference and hang a banner. Show up and support on Friday. Go Bills.

Would both Yuri and Hughes breaking an aggressive press together be a better option?

26 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Well that didn’t work out. As I mentioned last night, Pickett was playing 3rd grade YMCA ball. Looking directly down at his shoes as he dribbled into two or sometimes three taller players only to throw up a prayer of a layup that more often than not had no chance. giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b5ipecujfr3c544upcm

for as much as Pickett handled the ball, he had ZERO assists on the night. 

Pickett obviously is not a point guard.  He was put in a bad situation of having to handle the ball.  For the life of me I can’t understand why you wouldn’t want”the best point guard in the nation” to handle the ball.  This was 100% the fault if the coach.  I would also say it’s the fault of Yuri.  As “the leader and captain” he should have demanded the ball and taken Pickett out of that position.  Let Pickett excel where he does.  Rebounding, put backs, and short mid range jumpers not playing point.

It is what it is at this point. Might as well win the A10 tournament.

This team still has a chance to win the conference. When was the last time a regular season A10 champ did not reach the tournament? Has it ever happened? 

35 minutes ago, brianstl said:

We lost to SIUE at home.  We need to worry about every team on a neutral court. 

Thats fair... but that doesn't mean Fordham should be in the same breathe as vcu and UD.  Its silly to even think that. 

28 minutes ago, Slowry said:

Pickett obviously is not a point guard.  He was put in a bad situation of having to handle the ball.  For the life of me I can’t understand why you wouldn’t want”the best point guard in the nation” to handle the ball.  This was 100% the fault if the coach.  I would also say it’s the fault of Yuri.  As “the leader and captain” he should have demanded the ball and taken Pickett out of that position.  Let Pickett excel where he does.  Rebounding, put backs, and short mid range jumpers not playing point.

Fair. It still doesn’t excuse his hopeless drives into the lane. Give the ball up.  He has tunnel vision any time he gets the ball inside the arc… 

but yes, the failure is equally as much a ford’s for his repeated failure to recruit an acceptable backup ball handler.  Hughes might be that guy, but he didn’t see the floor in the second half, as far as I can remember, despite a very solid shift in the first half. 

billiken_roy likes this

I was at the game and haven't had a chance to comment or read all the comments, but wanted to share a few impressions. First, Fordham was for real - not just the team, but the coach, and the atmosphere were way better than what I had seen before. I had never seen this tiny arena so packed and loud, especially the student section. A tough place to play, but Fordham being competitive and making the best of this venue is a plus for Atlantic 10. Our $25 tickets were three rows from the floor at midcourt. Coach Urgo has Fordham players totally motivated, he is doing a great job.

Second, I can't fault the effort of our team. Both teams played with great intensity from the opening tip. Fordham wouldn't go away, but Saint Louis also refused to relinquish the lead, until... the last seven minutes, when Fordham took their energy to another level, and we had no Plan B to beat the press as some of the commenters have said. We missed a lot of makeable shots, and also we had very few three point attempts. But it was a great game to watch until that last segment.

It was a huge win for Fordham, Billikens fought hard but ultimately the Fordham energy was way off the charts, and Billikens were not able to turn that intensity against the other team.

3 minutes ago, NYBilliken said:

I was at the game and haven't had a chance to comment or read all the comments, but wanted to share a few impressions. First, Fordham was for real - not just the team, but the coach, and the atmosphere were way better than what I had seen before. I had never seen this tiny arena so packed and loud, especially the student section. A tough place to play, but Fordham being competitive and making the best of this venue is a plus for Atlantic 10. Our $25 tickets were three rows from the floor at midcourt. Coach Urgo has Fordham players totally motivated, he is doing a great job.

Second, I can't fault the effort of our team. Both teams played with great intensity from the opening tip. Fordham wouldn't go away, but Saint Louis also refused to relinquish the lead, until... the last seven minutes, when Fordham took their energy to another level, and we had no Plan B to beat the press as some of the commenters have said. We missed a lot of makeable shots, and also we had very few three point attempts. But it was a great game to watch until that last segment.

It was a huge win for Fordham, Billikens fought hard but ultimately the Fordham energy was way off the charts, and Billikens were not able to turn that intensity against the other team.

Out of reactions, good post.

52 minutes ago, NYBilliken said:

I was actually happy for Fordham.  Not that I didn't want the Bills to win but that team and fanbase deserve a reward for that effort.

SLU_Lax likes this

2 hours ago, NYBilliken said:

nonsense like this just makes me want to can Ford even more. Excuses are lame. Coach-speak is lame. Where the WINS? Lame. Boooo.

Not making any excuses for ford, but I watch a lot of college bball.  And a big part of some of better offenses is creating mismatches and allowing scorers to take their man one on one and score.  Perk and certainly picket were not able to do that last night.  So many missed mid range shots.

that being said, with fordham playing so far out and not much help defense, run a damn back screen.. cheese and rice!!!

1 minute ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Not making any excuses for ford, but I watch a lot of college bball.  And a big part of some of better offenses is creating mismatches and allowing scorers to take their man one on one and score.  Perk and certainly picket were not able to do that last night.  So many missed mid range shots.

that being said, with fordham playing so far out and not much help defense, run a damn back screen.. cheese and rice!!!

Perkins is effectively crippled. Perkins driving the lane is just a failure of coaching & decisionmaking. He is a spot up jump shooter even more than Jimerson is.

Watch Perkins try to defend... anybody. He's slow and plays with a constant limp. If he's not shooting jumpers he is wasting time.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

Perkins is effectively crippled. Perkins driving the lane is just a failure of coaching & decisionmaking. He is a spot up jump shooter even more than Jimerson is.

Watch Perkins try to defend... anybody. He's slow and plays with a constant limp. If he's not shooting jumpers he is wasting time.

Verdict: True

43 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

Were those fordam players Neptune's players or urgos?

Both, in a way ... Urgo joined Fordham coaching staff as Neptune's associate head coach ... they had worked together early in their careers at Villanova. When Neptune left, the players stayed with Urgo. Quisenberry was recruited in pre-Neptune era (Neubauer).