The Bills over Ford by 4

The Wiz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@billikenbill--- Sorry but no, the portal really hasn't done much for Fordham outside of Moore.  Quisenberry did transfer in, but I wouldn't count coming from Youngstown State as much help.  He is the best guard on a minor roster of guards but the real key here is the confidence factor.  Last year, Fordham had three guys scoring at about 15 ppg ---- Quisenberry, Daye and Ohams.  Daye left after 14 games but Fordham, playing crap opponents, was still only 9 and 7 in those games and promptly went out and reversed that to finish 16 and 16.  This year they are 17 and 4.  I think a certain school 120 miles west of the Loo pulled the same OOC stunt.

Moore was a non-entity while at Georgia Tech.  In his four years there, playing in almost all their games, he averaged about 4.1 ppg.  I think he is a prime example of what happens when a decent sized big comes into the A10 and is matched up against guys not ACC forwards.  For the most part, not many A10 teams have a guy like him.  He is comparable, in my eyes, to Tyler Burton, Maximus Edwards, Tafare Gapare, Dyondre Dominguez, and Phil Alston.  For us older types, DeAndre Bembry, Dwayne Evans,  Treveon Graham, Ahmad Nivens and Vince Williams.  Tweener types who can dribble, shoot and rebound.  Athletic types for sure.  But he is one guy.  TJH, Pickett, Perkins and Parker are enough of a battalion to send at him constantly.  And their bench in replacing him and his production is weak.  

Still, sleeping on poor, little, ol' Fordham will not cut it.  Dayton destroyed them at Rose Hill by 24 with Holmes scoring 32 and Camara with 15.  Moore scored ten and Quisenberry had 3.  And this was without Smith and Elvis.  Rose and Quisenberry each missed six threes.

I predict we either eke out a victory like Drake or Mason, or get thrashed like Iona. Hope the Bills can go into, as Skip Prosser used to say, “That cauldron of emotion” and get the W. 

The line per cbssports.com is Fordham +4 (SLU -4), meaning SLU is a 4 point road favorite, o146.5.

Tonight’s game is the biggest Fordham home game since then Coach Tom Pecora’s Rams upset St. John’s, with the Fordham students storming the court afterward. 

Fordham (17-4, 5-3) currently holds 4th Place in the 15 team A10. If the season ended now, Fordham would have a double bye in the A10 Tourney. I am expecting a tough game, a dogfight. The Billikens are the better team. Here’s hoping they show it tonight.

13 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The line per cbssports.com is Fordham +4 (SLU -4), meaning SLU is a 4 point road favorite, o146.5.

Tonight’s game is the biggest Fordham home game since then Coach Tom Pecora’s Rams upset St. John’s, with the Fordham students storming the court afterward. 

Fordham (17-4, 5-3) currently holds 4th Place in the 15 team A10. If the season ended now, Fordham would have a double bye in the A10 Tourney. I am expecting a tough game, a dogfight. The Billikens are the better team. Here’s hoping they show it tonight.

Fordham beat Rutgers at home in 2018. But it's certainly still sad that this is one of their most meaningful games of the last decade (putting aside games against local rival Manhattan).

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

has anyone ever stormed the court after beating us? Glad the SIUE game was on our side of the creek or would of been biggest crowd surge in Edwardsville since the MRF closed up their tent!

29 minutes ago, almaman said:

has anyone ever stormed the court after beating us? Glad the SIUE game was on our side of the creek or would of been biggest crowd surge in Edwardsville since the MRF closed up their tent!

A SLU Win tonight avoids a Fordham student court storming, those excused from Tuesday night classes.

43 minutes ago, almaman said:

has anyone ever stormed the court after beating us? Glad the SIUE game was on our side of the creek or would have been biggest crowd surge in Edwardsville since the MRF closed up their tent!

Axl Rose caused a big storming of the stage at Riverport in the early 90’s

Fordham's 2 best players are Khalid Moore, a 6'7" 208 stretch 4, who has come home to star at Fordham after being a 4 year role player at Georgia Tech, and Darius Quisenberry, 6'2" 188 guard.  Both Moore and Quisenberry are grad students, averaging 15.0 and 16.8 ppg respectively.  Quisenberry can go hot and cold.  Another guard, Antrell Charlton, 6'5" 205 Junior similarly goes hot and more often cold.  We don't need him, nor Kyle Rose, 6'4" 192 Junior, getting hot from outside.  All four of these players launch 3's.  Fordham has a 6'10" 225 Ukrainian at Center, a JUCO transfer.

Stop Moore and Quisenberry and SLU should win.  But who guards Moore?  I suspect TJ Hargrove and Javon Pickett will share that assignment, both giving inches.

36 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Fordham's 2 best players are Khalid Moore, a 6'7" 208 stretch 4, who has come home to star at Fordham after being a 4 year role player at Georgia Tech, and Darius Quisenberry, 6'2" 188 guard.  Both Moore and Quisenberry are grad students, averaging 15.0 and 16.8 ppg respectively.  Quisenberry can go hot and cold.  Another guard, Antrell Charlton, 6'5" 205 Junior similarly goes hot and more often cold.  We don't need him, nor Kyle Rose, 6'4" 192 Junior, getting hot from outside.  All four of these players launch 3's.  Fordham has a 6'10" 225 Ukrainian at Center, a JUCO transfer.

Stop Moore and Quisenberry and SLU should win.  But who guards Moore?  I suspect TJ Hargrove and Javon Pickett will share that assignment, both giving inches.

Will Richardson put 16 on the Bonnie’s including 4 of 5 from deep. Don’t ignore anyone. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Will Richardson put 16 on the Bonnie’s including 4 of 5 from deep. Don’t ignore anyone. 

No one is being ignored.  Richardson is a 6'3" 170 freshman from Bergen Catholic (NJ), averaging 17.4 minutes per game, 5.6 ppg, 6th on the Fordham roster.  He is shooting .444 from 3, 24-54. He has started 5 of Fordham's 21 games.

18 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

No one is being ignored.  Richardson is a 6'3" 170 freshman from Bergen Catholic (NJ), averaging 17.4 minutes per game, 5.6 ppg, 6th on the Fordham roster.  He is shooting .444 from 3, 24-54. He has started 5 of Fordham's 21 games.

Pickett is going to foul him at least once........is he a good freethrow shooter?

-from the SLU preview: As a team, the Rams lead the league and are 14th in the NCAA in blocked shots. Fordham is also the league's top free-throw shooting team, hitting 75.4 percent from the charity stripe.

-#30 has 41 blocks and averages 19mpg, #15 has 28 blocks with 17.3mpg and #10 has 17 blocks with 26,2mpg

-they have 8 players with an avg of 10mpg or more

-stats for #15 make it seem like he likes to foul

-#3 shoots ft's at 86% and #2 has 76%

-I hope we have a different plan than the one we have employed too many times against shot blockers

-I set the o/u on our fouling 3pt shooters at 1.5, I have faith (hope?) and take the under

-Let's Go Billikens!

27 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Pickett is going to foul him at least once........is he a good freethrow shooter?

Richardson is showing 15-20, 75%, FT's.

The main guys, though, are Moore (.759 FT's) and Quisenberry (.861 FT's).  It's best not to foul them.

I'm afraid this is not the usual Fordham. Fordham played that Mizzou-like non-conference schedule of assorted cupcakes, is vying with Mizzou for the Betty Crocker Award in that regard.  But Fordham has also started 5-3 in the A10.  I'm expecting a hard fought game in Rose Hill Gym, a dogfight.

We are going to thump them tonight. 

The place will be hopping tonight, even though it only holds 3,500.  If you think its hard to be a Billiken fan, its much harder being a Fordham fan. Meaningful conference games in jan have been rare.

The team and fans will be excited. But we are the better team. Will will keep our heads, frustrate them and win by double  figures.

The south end zone bleachers at Rose Hill Gym are not being pulled out in accordance with Fire Marshall Order, due to continuing construction and the south entrance/exit being closed. The area is being used in the interim as a lounge. This means capacity is more like 1,740 than 3,470.  

The Fordham Band and students sit in the north end zone, closer to the SLU Bench.  The place has 9 rows on one side, 12 on the other side, and 25 behind both baskets, apparently temporarily only the north end zone.

Rose Hill Gym is long and narrow, with the walls protruding/curving upward on each sideline.  There is plenty of room behind both baskets.  You don't run right into a wall like at LaSalle or St. Mary's.  It looks a bit like a smaller version of the St. Louis Armory.