RIP: Terrance Hicks

SluSignGuy

I sadly learned last night that about 17 months ago, we lost a long-time member of the Billikens.com Community, Terrance Hicks. His username was @Quality Is Job 1, but for most of his time on this site, people knew him as thicks. Terrance was a teacher, photographer, and a man sincerely devoted to his faith.

I did not know Terrance well personally, but he was a valued member of our community, going back to our days on Rivals.com. Reflecting this, he is the only person to serve as a moderator of this site outside of myself and @davidnark. Terrance was active on the site until very shortly before his passing on August 22, 2021.  On behalf of the Billikens.com community, I bought a Memorial Tree in Terrance's name, following guidance in his obituary.

I ask that all users of this community who were lucky enough to interact with thicks to take a moment to reflect on his passing and devote your thoughts to his family and loved ones.

Steve

I got to know THicks going to the monthly Billiken Club meetings at Humphreys. Cordial, knowledgeable, a gentleman. 

i thought he monitored the Board with an even hand, especially during turbulent times.

I always chuckled when he would correct a poster’s grammar. Stickler for details. Even during the most heated back and forths, he would comment on an incorrect there/their.

RIP THicks, you were a good man

This one really bothers me .... just as much as the passing of Joe Bonwich some years back.  Thicks was nothing if not evenhanded.  I too never met him in person but developed a relationship that started here and would spill off this board and into other conversations in email, texts, and Facebook.  So sorry to hear.  

This is very sad. Thicks has been with us since David's mid-1990's Rivals board. 

He was always was objective and totally in control. Kept the board in perspective. Recall him jumping on me over my grammar. Made the perfect moderator.

RIP Thicks. You presents here will be deeply missed.

billiken_roy likes this

I’m sad to hear this. I met Terrance once during a Billikens.com watch party over 15 years ago, but I was primarily familiar with him through this board. Everything everyone else has posted so far is a great tribute to him.

When I saw here that he had passed away, I remembered that I had seen him post that he had either gotten married recently or was getting married soon. In reviewing his obituary, it appears that he was married for a little less than a year before he passed. He seemed very happy to have found his wife, so it’s sad to know that their time together was cut short.

Rest in Peace Thicks.

Terrance was easy to spot at Billikens functions.  He almost always wore the old Billikens.com shirt to preseason practices and the like.  I was fortunate enough to know him a great deal.  We sat together at many functions over the years.  A billikens fan through and through but he was also a deeply spiritual man and if he wasn't at Kiel or chaifetz he was usually at his church.  We connected both being from North County.  He lived in Berkeley mostly and I lived a short distance away in Ferguson.  We met up at several HS games to scout future Billikens from the Romar days till the Crews era.  As a moderator he made Billikens.com stronger.  He didn't make personal decisions, he did what was best for the board.  I believe his moderation has allowed this board to grow and maintain its strength and quality while so many others across the college basketball landscape fell off.  My only regret is I lost touch with the man over the years but it appears he found love and stability in his life away from St. Louis.  A true Billikens fans if there ever was one.  RIP brother, I will see you on the other side in Billikens Blue.

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2023 at 8:30 AM, SluSignGuy said:

I sadly learned last night that about 17 months ago, we lost a long-time member of the Billikens.com Community, Terrance Hicks. His username was @Quality Is Job 1, but for most of his time on this site, people knew him as thicks. Terrance was a teacher, photographer, and a man sincerely devoted to his faith.

I did not know Terrance well personally, but he was a valued member of our community, going back to our days on Rivals.com. Reflecting this, he is the only person to serve as a moderator of this site outside of myself and @davidnark. Terrance was active on the site until very shortly before his passing on August 22, 2021.  On behalf of the Billikens.com community, I bought a Memorial Tree in Terrance's name, following guidance in his obituary.

I ask that all users of this community who were lucky enough to interact with thicks to take a moment to reflect on his passing and devote your thoughts to his family and loved ones.

Steve

I had no idea as I haven't been on this site for awhile.  We were Facebook friends and noticed that I hadn't heard from him in awhile and that's where I learned about his untimely death.  He is surely missed.

SLU_Lax likes this

I somehow missed this post and news. I am really sorry to hear about THick's passing. I only met him a few times, but he was such a genuine person and fan. My thoughts are with his family. I know he will be missed by many.

• 10 months later...

Today would have been Terrance Hick's 55th Birthday. While sports teams can have their ups and downs, it is important to remember there are things more important than basketball.

I do not believe I posted this, but the Memorial Tree for Terrance has been planted (see below).

I encourage everyone to take the time today to think about your loved ones.  And in Terrance's honor, do not make any grammatical errors in posts today. ;) 

image.png