GDT: Davidson; What did the triangle offense scream at the ball?

SluSignGuy

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dalen Cuff was the play by play guy.  He's a regular studio CBB analyst for ESPN and played four years at Columbia University.  He is as long-winded as I am long-writing.  I thought his analysis was spot on usually except he does talk too much.  The A10 may have the Friday Night exclusive on ESPN's networks but they are constantly overridden --- tonight with the great SEC/Big XII challenge, the kid from Detroit Mercy (counting down to Maravich and he's stioll like 300 points away), and the Lunardi crap.   

Down four at half with four guys with two fouls.  Where have we seen that before?  Recently?  And what happened?  We won.  One thing Cuff did say is we are upwards in the nation of not playing guys with two fouls.  Personally, I don;t like it but given how the refs seem to want to punish us (or our guys are the dumbest defenders out there, take you rpick) the benching has to be done.  It was no surprise we didn't score a basket over the last five or six minutes.  LHJ is no point guard.  The offense is scattered when Yuri is gone.  I kept thinking 'getting us to halve down three, four or five and I'll be happy.'  We did and we made it ---- I still feel our personnel is light years ahead of theirs and only playing in the southern confines helped them stay close.  

The slash was 53/40/77.  Theirs was 39/30/60.  Kochera had a Davidson career game.  We survived.  Watson and Huffman outdid their averages.  We survived.  Loyer was under his season average and Mennenga scored 11 in the first but only 4 in the second.  Huffman and Watson went a combined 11 for 26 with 1 of 7 from deep.  If they don't play out of their respective arses, its a blowout.  The only thing that will keep Davidson out of the pillow fight might be the reliance on Loyer and Mennenga as they go forward.  That was an athletically-challenged basketball squad.  

My buddy from Philly watched the game.  A short time in he texted me and asked if this was an all=white Southern school playing an integrated school from the big city.  Frankly, it went as I thought it would go and I am truly thankful for the win.

Tied atop the A10 with Fordham up next.  Fordham is no slouch as in years past and cannot be overlooked.  Keep this in mind ===== Davidson beat them at Rose Hill.

18 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Dalen Cuff was the play by play guy.  He's a regular studio CBB analyst for ESPN and played four years at Columbia University.  He is as long-winded as I am long-writing.  I thought his analysis was spot on usually except he does talk too much.  The A10 may have the Friday Night exclusive on ESPN's networks but they are constantly overridden --- tonight with the great SEC/Big XII challenge, the kid from Detroit Mercy (counting down to Maravich and he's stioll like 300 points away), and the Lunardi crap.   

Down four at half with four guys with two fouls.  Where have we seen that before?  Recently?  And what happened?  We won.  One thing Cuff did say is we are upwards in the nation of not playing guys with two fouls.  Personally, I don;t like it but given how the refs seem to want to punish us (or our guys are the dumbest defenders out there, take you rpick) the benching has to be done.  It was no surprise we didn't score a basket over the last five or six minutes.  LHJ is no point guard.  The offense is scattered when Yuri is gone.  I kept thinking 'getting us to halve down three, four or five and I'll be happy.'  We did and we made it ---- I still feel our personnel is light years ahead of theirs and only playing in the southern confines helped them stay close.  

The slash was 53/40/77.  Theirs was 39/30/60.  Kochera had a Davidson career game.  We survived.  Watson and Huffman outdid their averages.  We survived.  Loyer was under his season average and Mennenga scored 11 in the first but only 4 in the second.  Huffman and Watson went a combined 11 for 26 with 1 of 7 from deep.  If they don't play out of their respective arses, its a blowout.  The only thing that will keep Davidson out of the pillow fight might be the reliance on Loyer and Mennenga as they go forward.  That was an athletically-challenged basketball squad.  

My buddy from Philly watched the game.  A short time in he texted me and asked if this was an all=white Southern school playing an integrated school from the big city.  Frankly, it went as I thought it would go and I am truly thankful for the win.

Tied atop the A10 with Fordham up next.  Fordham is no slouch as in years past and cannot be overlooked.  Keep this in mind ===== Davidson beat them at Rose Hill.

Yuri’s 2nd “foul” in the 2nd Quarter was a phantom, confirmed by Travis Ford is his post-game radio interview. Ford said the guy flopped.

7 hours ago, Westy03 said:

Also okoro was very good tonight. Let’s hope has had turned the corner 

Would love to see him cut out the overly aggressive fouls he commits when defending the post. He’s strong enough to hold his position without pushing off.

All I can say about this team is when it’s good, it’s very good, and when it’s bad, it’s really bad. I’ll give the team a pass over the last 6 mins. of the first half (10 possessions) where went 0-7 from the floor, 0-4 arc with 4 turnovers. Only point was the Jimerson tech FT. I mean you’d hope they could score a bucket but they looked pretty helpless running the offense.

In spite of all the unnecessary fouls and travelling/illegal screens on our bigs, we had some terrific stretches of hoops last night. The start was incredible, 33 points on 21 possessions, and a stretch mid-second half where we scored on 10 straight possessions.

Seems to me we’re going to be as good as our bigs will let us be. Everyone seems to understand their roles and with Yuri’s floor leadership we can be efficient on offense. It all depends on Okoro and Forrester cutting out the unnecessary fouls and turnovers.

7 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Sloppy but a dubya is a dubya.  Haven’t beat the cats in 4 years.  Loyer and Mangina reminded me of the zeta chi’s from trading places…

I think that clip may actually represent normal student life at Davidson

2 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Kudos to Coach Ford for sticking with his plan in the 2nd half…the 2 foul thing is going to be argued forever. 

He said post game that he has a score in mind of when he needs to bring guys back with 2 fouls in the first half. I think he said he’d bring them back if Davidson got up 8-10 points.

I don’t necessarily agree with this strategy but at least he has a plan and a reasoning for the decision.

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

He said post game that he has a score in mind of when he needs to bring guys back with 2 fouls in the first half. I think he said he’d bring them back if Davidson got up 8-10 points.

I don’t necessarily agree with this strategy but at least he has a plan and a reasoning for the decision.

I saw that as well. If DC would have gone up more he would have had to respond differently.

4 hours ago, billikenbill said:

All I can say about this team is when it’s good, it’s very good, and when it’s bad, it’s really bad. I’ll give the team a pass over the last 6 mins. of the first half (10 possessions) where went 0-7 from the floor, 0-4 arc with 4 turnovers. Only point was the Jimerson tech FT. I mean you’d hope they could score a bucket but they looked pretty helpless running the offense.

In spite of all the unnecessary fouls and travelling/illegal screens on our bigs, we had some terrific stretches of hoops last night. The start was incredible, 33 points on 21 possessions, and a stretch mid-second half where we scored on 10 straight possessions.

Seems to me we’re going to be as good as our bigs will let us be. Everyone seems to understand their roles and with Yuri’s floor leadership we can be efficient on offense. It all depends on Okoro and Forrester cutting out the unnecessary fouls and turnovers.

I watched replay of that bad stretch at end of 1st half after Collins goes out of game at 5:46 remaining. It was easier to watch today, knowing the final outcome. But offense without Collins didn't seem "helpless" - they found good open shots or had the ball in good position inside - they just missed the shots - and Forrester traveled twice plus Jimerson fumbling a pass were not because the offense was disfunctional, just fixable glitches by the player getting sped up. Anyhow for short stretches when Collins goes out I think this second unit will keep making progress and can play well. 

billiken_roy likes this

Great win, at Davidson! The arena was rocking, Davidson players played inspired, the refs were against us, yet the Billikens persevered and earned the hard-fought win. Wildcats made great effort, and we crushed their hopes and dreams. Since December this Billikens team has gained toughness, poise and persevererance, the defense has improved, and depth of the roster is being used better. Last-minute win vs. George Mason was a turning point for the season. Great win!

7 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

You're the perfect fan. We get it.

well there is not much doubt that rich is a better fan than the boston college 1764 version.

Billikenbooster likes this