Ford at Oklahoma State

ACE

This gets referenced quite a bit on the board and usually portrayed as a complete failure. No NCAA Tourney runs to his credit, so I think that's a fair criticism, but I think his tenure should be looked at in the context of OSU bball history.  Ford made the Tourney 5 times in 8 seasons. In the 10 seasons sandwiched around the Ford era, the 3 preceding him and the last 7 seasons following him, OSU has only made the Tourney twice in those 10 seasons. 

Eddie Sutton had a great run, and he's considered one of the all-time greats, but prior to that, you'd have to go back to Hank Iba in the 1950s during the stone ages of college hoops to see any notable success.  In the thirty years prior to Eddie Sutton's arrival (1960-1990), OSU only made the tournament TWICE. That level of futility surprised me.

Yes OSU is in a P5 conference, but I don't think it's that great of a job compared to its peers. The state of Oklahoma does not produce a ton of great bball talent and even then, they are in the shadow of OU. Also, they are over-shadowed by Kansas to the East, and to the South, there are a number of strong programs in the state of Texas they have to compete with. So I don't think we should take it as gospel when OSU fans cast the Ford era is a complete failure (delusional fans from a state school, imagine that). That program is not all that and I think some context matters when evaluating Ford's tenure at OSU. He is clearly the second most successful coach that program has had in the last 50 plus seasons.

Correct we have a fragile return of Perkins for the first half where he had a “setback” which sometimes happens and now he is such a smart athlete you can see him play protecting one leg willing to “flop” rather than be twisted by contact. What a guts performance and we all anticipate a return for him to full strength even if we never see him play “unguarded” in his final year with us

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, pakapablo said:

Fans want better but does the school really care.............

We play in one of the top mid major arenas in the country. Our coach is amongst the top 10 in compensation. You can jump on the fire Ford bandwagon, but you can’t say SLU doesn’t care. You don’t want to come off as BC1764 stupid. 

14 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I would read this as a "hot seat" tweet. I don't think he's gone yet, but Chaifetz is clearly nearing a limit. 

my only fear with "nearing a limit" is that means he divests himself from the billikens and takes his wallet full time to pickleball.   

probably wont happen.   i was at the game very early last night (had to make sure wife and i got the right shirt sizes 😄) and the good doctor was by the layup line shaking hands with EVERY billiken and offering words of encouragement.   imo Dr Chaifetz is all class and he loves and lives and dies billikens like all of us mbm's.   but again, how much can a person take?  we all have limits.   what happens when that limit is reached is the question.  

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Thanks but that is not as bad as I thought people were alluding 

I personally think it says a lot given the whole context of how this season has played out. I can’t remember him ever voicing his displeasure publicly like that. 

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

my only fear with "nearing a limit" is that means he divests himself from the billikens and takes his wallet full time to pickleball.   

probably wont happen.   i was at the game very early last night (had to make sure wife and i got the right shirt sizes 😄) and the good doctor was by the layup line shaking hands with EVERY billiken and offering words of encouragement.   imo Dr Chaifetz is all class and he loves and lives and dies billikens like all of us mbm's.   but again, how much can a person take?  we all have limits.   what happens when that limit is reached is the question.  

I’m reaching the limit for this year.

This year has been harder for me than most because I had such high expectations. I really believed this was a second week NCAA tourney team.

At this point in the season I have two emotional outcome after games.

1. Frustration 

2. relief 

Excited and happy have been replaced with relief. That’s not good. 

Bizziken likes this

29 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m reaching the limit for this year.

This year has been harder for me than most because I had such high expectations. I really believed this was a second week NCAA tourney team.

At this point in the season I have two emotional outcome after games.

1. Frustration 

2. relief 

Excited and happy have been replaced with relief. That’s not good. 

This.

it has been by far the hardest year for me to be a fan.  It is the first time I don’t look forward to game day.

I have had season tickets since late 60's (except for covid year);  I may not renew next year if Ford is still here.  He works very hard, does everything he can to market program.  Having said that, there are coaching things that even I can see that are very upsetting-little thing like  Bills calling timeout under VCU basket near end of game.  Bring ball to half-court then call timeout.  Just waste precious time bringing ball back upcourt and allowing VCU to press. Coaching small details matter. 

Bizziken likes this

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

I mean, what did you expect him to say, “fords trash”? The fact he said anything, I mean really anything, is something. 

Well from what I saw posted i wasn’t sure what to expect. What he tweeted was just that it was a terrible game which is basically what everyone on the board.  To say his tweet is a sign of Ford being on the way out is bit much. I am sure Dr. C is not happy but can you really say he is $7.5 million unhappy are two different things.