Coach on Sports on a Sunday Morning, Jan 22 & 29, Feb 5, 12 & 19, Mar 5

HoosierPal

35 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

why don't you list all of those coaches who had 3 starters injured who made the tournament???? that should be easy, right???? 

Fred wasn't injured until 2nd half of the year when we already shot our at large chance. I don't recall Perkins being injured(other than when he fell funny and I think that lasted a game or so).  He never got back to his older self but that's a different story. I also don't recall Pickett dealing with anything the first half of the year.  And before we continue, Ford BFF, we were ranked around #102 going into conf play so at large was dead with a healthy team minus an up to speed Perkins.  For the second half of the year, Parker really improved, it was going to take some time due to JUCO switch, we all knew that.  Parkers -points over replacement numbers- the 2nd half of the season were greater(if not the same) than Freds first half were. 

Back to our guy Perkins.  His conf % were better this year than 2 years ago. His defense was worse, but offense was better. 

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Fred wasn't injured until 2nd half of the year when we already shot our at large chance. I don't recall Perkins being injured(other than when he fell funny and I think that lasted a game or so).  He never got back to his older self but that's a different story. I also don't recall Pickett dealing with anything the first half of the year.  And before we continue, Ford BFF, we were ranked around #102 going into conf play so at large was dead with a healthy team minus an up to speed Perkins.  For the second half of the year, Parker really improved, it was going to take some time due to JUCO switch, we all knew that.  Parkers -points over replacement numbers- the 2nd half of the season were greater(if not the same) than Freds first half were. 

Back to our guy Perkins.  His conf % were better this year than 2 years ago. His defense was worse, but offense was better. 

perkins had a high ankle sprain pre season that greatly hindered his mobility, never really recovered, i believe fred very well could have been the difference in a couple of games down the stretch, pickett also dealt with the high ankle sprain, which are generallyvery slow to heal, lost a great deal of his explosiveness

2 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

perkins had a high ankle sprain pre season that greatly hindered his mobility, never really recovered

Interesting. I haven't seen anything that said it was lingering. 

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

it was apparent with observing his gait and movements

As someone far from sports medicine, and commonly noted on this board, Perkins always had a hop to his step.  And that may have been magnified by an ACL tear. 

imo it doesnt matter if it was his knee or his ankle, it was pretty obvious all season long perkins wasnt even half the player he was prior to the knee injury and i believe except for his shot, his abilities for all other aspects of basketball were not what was expected  or even close to before.  he couldnt guard, he couldnt drive or cut, and he couldnt jump.   i feel for the young man because prior to the knee injury, imo perkins was headed to the nba.   it would be nice if he truly got back to where he used to be, but even then how apprehensive will pro scouts on any level approach him hereforward.   he needs to find a very very good agent that can weed through that b.s. for him. 

BilliesBy40 and ACE like this

47 minutes ago, wgstl said:

in other words you can't name any...got it....but don't let that you deter your Ford hating......

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

imo it doesnt matter if it was his knee or his ankle, it was pretty obvious all season long perkins wasnt even half the player he was prior to the knee injury and i believe except for his shot, his abilities for all other aspects of basketball were not what was expected  or even close to before.  he couldnt guard, he couldnt drive or cut, and he couldnt jump.   i feel for the young man because prior to the knee injury, imo perkins was headed to the nba.   it would be nice if he truly got back to where he used to be, but even then how apprehensive will pro scouts on any level approach him hereforward.   he needs to find a very very good agent that can weed through that b.s. for him. 

I think the biggest error in the whole thing is we were banking not only on someone to come off an ACL tear and be back to where he was, but that a good back up option was to get a JUCO player when JUCO's are notorious for being slow at transitioning 

Littlebill likes this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

agreed, everyone is different, maybe this time next year, he will be back 100%

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

in other words you can't name any...got it....but don't let that you deter your Ford hating......

some guy, I don't have time to look at all coaching across basketball to add to your lazy argument, I work. I will though worry around the team that I spend money on.  Make sense?

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

I think the biggest error in the whole thing is we were banking not only on someone to come off an ACL tear and be back to where he was, but that a good back up option was to get a JUCO player when JUCO's are notorious for being slow at transitioning 

you really think a great JUCO option would have been willing to wait to see if someone was going to fully recover from an injury??? 

29 minutes ago, wgstl said:

His mobility was limited, but I couldn’t tell if it was the ankle or lingering from the knee. If you didn’t see it then I’m not sure what to say. Our defense was awful for a reason. We didn’t have strong, quick defensive players, except Fred, which is why you can’t underestimate his loss. We need to get some guys who can guard. 

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I agree on Perkins. Everyone who had this team as a top 20 team did it with Perkins being at 100%. There’s no way we were that type of team with how he played. He wasn’t close and subsequently neither were we. On the JUCO thought why not just refer back to Perkins? He started slow like you said, but he was very good in conference. The same should have been expected from Parker. You don’t just go get scorers like Perkins. 

Perkins was diminished but Okoro was worse and the defense was a sieve. The whole reason for sitting Parker was that he couldn't defend. There's no way he could have been worse than Perkins. Parker and Hughes should have played way more. Yuri should have been at 28-30 mpg with instructions to be more of a disrupter on defense. 

26 minutes ago, DOC said:

I agree on Perkins. Everyone who had this team as a top 20 team did it with Perkins being at 100%. There’s no way we were that type of team with how he played. He wasn’t close and subsequently neither were we. On the JUCO thought why not just refer back to Perkins? He started slow like you said, but he was very good in conference. The same should have been expected from Parker. You don’t just go get scorers like Perkins. 

Couldn’t care less about rankings. This team was deemed at-large-worthy with or without Perkins at 100% given the pieces they added and the fact that they returned a significant chunk of their scoring from the 23-win season a year prior. We somehow managed less wins with a more experience team in a crappier A10. Success. 

Small side note- I want to see Parker at more of a CG/ 2 guard next year.  I thought his ball handling was better than credited for.  Once he learns to stay in front of a defender, his length and athleticism should cause shooters problem. 

6 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Couldn’t care less about rankings. This team was deemed at-large-worthy with or without Perkins at 100% given the pieces they added and the fact that they returned a significant chunk of their scoring from the 23-win season a year prior. We somehow managed less wins with a more experience team in a crappier A10. Success. 

Bingo, Perkins was supposed to be the  difference in HOW good we were going to be.  when Fred and Pickett got injured, we were in the 100's so we were never good before injuries took over. 

I got ACL Surgery and ran the Boston Marathon a little over a year later without SLU physical therapists.

If only there was a place Perkins' mobility could've been observed.....

Anyway, excuses much like BBFs everyone has one.

54 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I got ACL Surgery and ran the Boston Marathon a little over a year later without SLU physical therapists.

If only there was a place Perkins' mobility could've been observed.....

Anyway, excuses much like BBFs everyone has one.

I’m pretty sure there was additional damage to his knee aside from the ACL tear. 

Perkins dealt with ankle and knee issues.  Pickett fought through a high ankle sprain even through the last Mason game.  Thatch's loss was paramount.  The only team jit harder in the A10 might have been Dayton.  They declined an NOT bid because of it.

3 hours ago, stmdragons said:

I’m pretty sure there was additional damage to his knee aside from the ACL tear. 

I'm mostly kidding.  But coaches are allowed to observe Summer workouts and there are sessions now when before they weren't allowed. Also coaches can get reports from the trainers and PTs I'm sure SLU employs.

stmdragons likes this

On 3/16/2023 at 8:57 AM, wgstl said:

what you been using to watch this year? the eye test is all u need he is a shadow of the player we saw b4 he hobbled off court in the exhibition game last season, key event in 2 disappointing seasons.

24 minutes ago, almaman said:

what you been using to watch this year? the eye test is all u need he is a shadow of the player we saw b4 he hobbled off court in the exhibition game last season, key event in 2 disappointing seasons.

Agreed, the eye test says it was bothering him all year.