O.G.

CenHudDude

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You must have missed his major offending posts. They were pretty damn offensive, casually diagnosing a Billiken player with major psychological issues because of a religious related tweet. Real POS type stuff. 

I found most of his posts insipid and just ignored him, many months ago.

Billiken Rich likes this

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

We visited the Shrine of the Black Madonna of Czestochowa, the protector of Poland, today and I wanted to post a picture of the Madonna here. Supposedly, the original image was painted by one of the apostles, St. Luke. The shrine was built by Franciscan Polish monks that migrated to Pacific, MO in 1927. 

Black-Madonna-Image.jpeg

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

We visited the Shrine of the Black Madonna of Czestochowa, the protector of Poland, today and I wanted to post a picture of the Madonna here. Supposedly, the original image was painted by one of the apostles, St. Luke. The shrine was built by Franciscan Polish monks that migrated to Pacific, MO in 1927. 

Black-Madonna-Image.jpeg

Very nice! Enjoy your trip, safe travels

• 1 month later...

schaz the one night we went to dinner years ago i remember your wife as just delightful.   i cant imagine losing the love of your life and how hard it will be to move on.    no matter how badly we have treated you as of late, we all know deep down you were a billiken foremost and we need to support you in this great hour of need.   you have Anita and my sympathy and please feel free to contact me if you want to communicate.   

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

schaz the one night we went to dinner years ago i remember your wife as just delightful.   i cant imagine losing the love of your life and how hard it will be to move on.    no matter how badly we have treated you as of late, we all know deep down you were a billiken foremost and we need to support you in this great hour of need.   you have Anita and my sympathy and please feel free to contact me if you want to communicate.   

Well said Roy.

Condolences to @Schasz. I’m sorry for your loss.

Schasz likes this

• 4 weeks later...

You may think whatever you want to think about this stuff, but the NBA is apparently spending money in developing things like these. If the initiative is not coming from the NBA, someone is developing these things and trying to sell them to the NBA.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading a lot of the posts regarding NILs and the current state of college athletic recruiting, I have scratched my head wondering whether a lot of people truly believe that money comes down from heaven, like Mana used to in Moses times.

I found this editorial article in the Harvard Magazine discussing how the current situation affects their athletic programs. Please keep in mind that Harvard has over 30 times the endownment SLU has, and makes a lot more money than SLU through their ownership of lots of small startup companies. Harvard also hold fund raisers periodically that raise in excess of $6 B for the University. Yet, John Rosenberg, editor, think expenses of $50 M for maintenance and refurbishment of athletic facilities, is a lot of money. This article present a view of sports from Harvard (and the IVYs) point of view where athletes have to "intellectual" athletes and be academically acceptable for Harvard admission. I think it is a very interesting piece to read and make a silent comparison with SLUs athletic department's points of view and expenses. NILs and the portal are discussed together with possible ways they might try to deal with the multitude of changes going on. Hope you find this interesting. 

Here is the link: https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2023/07/letters-7-ware-ivy-athletics

Oh, and John Rosenberg documents that average attendance at their football games has decreased to about 7000. Keep in mind that their football stadium is a lot larger than the Chaifetz. 

David King and CenHudDude like this

52 minutes ago, Old guy said:

After reading a lot of the posts regarding NILs and the current state of college athletic recruiting, I have scratched my head wondering whether a lot of people truly believe that money comes down from heaven, like Mana used to in Moses times.

I found this editorial article in the Harvard Magazine discussing how the current situation affects their athletic programs. Please keep in mind that Harvard has over 30 times the endownment SLU has, and makes a lot more money than SLU through their ownership of lots of small startup companies. Harvard also hold fund raisers periodically that raise in excess of $6 B for the University. Yet, John Rosenberg, editor, think expenses of $50 M for maintenance and refurbishment of athletic facilities, is a lot of money. This article present a view of sports from Harvard (and the IVYs) point of view where athletes have to "intellectual" athletes and be academically acceptable for Harvard admission. I think it is a very interesting piece to read and make a silent comparison with SLUs athletic department's points of view and expenses. NILs and the portal are discussed together with possible ways they might try to deal with the multitude of changes going on. Hope you find this interesting. 

Here is the link: https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2023/07/letters-7-ware-ivy-athletics

Oh, and John Rosenberg documents that average attendance at their football games has decreased to about 7000. Keep in mind that their football stadium is a lot larger than the Chaifetz. 

The Ivy League Universities can afford to have that attitude about their athletic programs because they don't need their athletic programs to help market the school.  The same can't be said about many other schools.

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The Ivy League Universities can afford to have that attitude about their athletic programs because they don't need their athletic programs to help market the school.  The same can't be said about many other schools.

You are entirely correct brianstl. However let's talk money, they have, or certainly Harvard has, lots more money available than SLU does. Their regular funding drives produce several times the total amount of SLU's endowment. Their donors probably have the ability to pay huge NILs and get any player they want in their teams. And yet they talk about getting players only from other similar schools with "intellectual athletes." You could ask, and alumni do ask, what is the real value of a Harvard education? The answer is that it may not be as much as they think. I remember going to a meeting in Milwaukee and being taken from the airport to the hotel by a taxi driver who had graduated from Harvard college.

I think the real answer to questions like this one is that a college education (and grad school education as well) is really worth what you, the alum, makes out of it. Some people apparently fail in this regard. In my opinion, and solely in my opinion, the value of an education is a lot greater than the value of money, or specifically the value of NILs.

brianstl and Adman like this