GDT: La Salle; Why didn’t Han Solo enjoy his steak dinner?

SluSignGuy

3 hours ago, Schasz said:

I see Oklahoma lost big time last night at TCU yesterday. They are 11-9 and 2-6 in league play. Porter Moser is someone I know many Billiken fans would accept as HC at SLU in a heartbeat. He won't last long as OU HC if the Sooners continue to stumble. 

I really doubt Moser is on any kind of hot seat at this point.  That isn't how Castiglione has ever operated.  The Big 12 is just brutal this season.

Bizziken likes this

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

as i explained to billikenbooster, there are about 14 other players on the billikens with worse shooting percentages this year.   sure i am disappointed in the last month.  but just maybe the coach could have drawn up better plays?   maybe yuri could have done more to get him a better shot occasionally?   maybe had some of the other players shot 36% there wouldnt be the intense focus on jimerson?   the point is skip, get the F off jimerson for what he has done.   blaming him for the mess is just as bad as you giving yuri all the credit.   they all have a hand in this disappointment.   

Do you read what I write? Or just what you want me to have said? 

You seem to have an agenda. I have never put all the blame on Jimerson nor have I given Yuri all the credit. 

Regarding coaching, we need to be thinking about it with the new NIL reality in mind. Take the $2.5mil we are paying Ford and hire a new coach for $1mil, then use the other $1.5mil to pay players. Hell Ford can stay if he’s ok with the new salary. Pay the coach bonuses based on tourney appearances/performance. 

6 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

Regarding coaching, we need to be thinking about it with the new NIL reality in mind. Take the $2.5mil we are paying Ford and hire a new coach for $1mil, then use the other $1.5mil to pay players. Hell Ford can stay if he’s ok with the new salary. Pay the coach bonuses based on tourney appearances/performance. 

University money can't go to the players. 

46 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Do you read what I write? Or just what you want me to have said? 

You seem to have an agenda. I have never put all the blame on Jimerson nor have I given Yuri all the credit. 

better go read your original post in this thread.   the only names i saw you use to blame the team and absolve ford was jimerson and okoro

1 minute ago, willie said:

University money can't go to the players. 

i am guessing that a big part of that salary is coming one way or another from boosters.   so the booster(s) agree the "donation" would be deferred instead of coach's pay to players not through the school  

i believe i read somewhere that the state of california has written laws on salaries and the rules are such the coaches at their universities cannot make more than X.   so the school pays them X and then the boosters pay the coach the difference.   

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I walked up to 05 at a game a few years back and said "I'm Billiken Rich."  It took him a second to figure out: "from Billikens.com."   As I reflect back I should've added that to start with.

yep that's how we did it. Saw your Bill's hat asked if u were a MBM u said indeed, we said our avatar's & paddled on deeply enriched by the experience. felt like I was in a spy movie.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i believe i read somewhere that the state of california has written laws on salaries and the rules are such the coaches at their universities cannot make more than X.   so the school pays them X and then the boosters pay the coach the difference.   

That could only be possible for a state school. I have no first hand knowledge but I am not sure you are correct on donors paying Ford's salary. 

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am guessing that a big part of that salary is coming one way or another from boosters.   so the booster(s) agree the "donation" would be deferred instead of coach's pay to players not through the school  

Apparently you’ve read me saying there are things Ford should be held accountable but also these 2 players have performed below expectations to me saying Ford is absolved of any blame and the entire poor results lie on the shoulders of Jimerson and Okoro. That’s not what I said, nor is it what I meant. 

This crap happens all the time on this board. Someone could say it’s raining outside and someone else would contradict them by claiming that that they’re wrong no annual rainfall records have been broken. 

Simply answer this question. Have Gibson Jimerson and Frances Okoro performed up to your expectations this year?  That’s it. That was my entire post. I even said there are things Ford should be held accountable for. I didn’t say anyone else was or wasn’t accountable. 

billikenbill likes this

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Apparently you’ve read me saying there are things Ford should be held accountable but also these 2 players have performed below expectations to me saying Ford is absolved of any blame and the entire poor results lie on the shoulders of Jimerson and Okoro. That’s not what I said, nor is it what I meant. 

This crap happens all the time on this board. Someone could say it’s raining outside and someone else would contradict them by claiming that that they’re wrong no annual rainfall records have been broken. 

Simply answer this question. Have Gibson Jimerson and Frances Okoro performed up to your expectations this year?  That’s it. That was my entire post. I even said there are things Ford should be held accountable for. I didn’t say anyone else was or wasn’t accountable. 

I’ll give you my answer - No.  but the season isn’t over yet.  Let’s wait until the end of the season to give them their final report cards.

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

better go read your original post in this thread.   the only names i saw you use to blame the team and absolve ford was jimerson and okoro

I want to apologize to Gibson. Despite the way any even remotely sane basketball fan might think. I now realize that you shooting 5 of 22 from 2 for 23 % and 11 of 46 from 3 for 24% in the Billiken’s 6 losses this year was not even a tiny bit responsible for any of the losses. 

Get real. Gibson Jimerson shot terribly during the losses. His play DID have a huge effect on each loss. 

If you just take the 4 games most of us see as the worst losses (Iona, Boise, SIUE, and UMass) he was even worse. 24% from 2 and 20% from 3. In those 4 losses he jacked up 31 3’s and made just 6.  

13 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

I’ll give you my answer - No.  but the season isn’t over yet.  Let’s wait until the end of the season to give them their final report cards.

Of course the season isn’t over but the discussion was up to this point. Ford is certainly being graded and rightfully so, up to this point

Just now, slufanskip said:

I want to apologize to Gibson. Despite the way any even remotely sane basketball fan might think. I now realize that you shooting 5 of 22 from 2 for 23 % and 11 of 46 from 3 for 24% in the Billiken’s 6 losses this year was not even a tiny bit responsible for any of the losses. 

Get real. Gibson Jimerson shot terribly during the losses. His play DID have a huge effect on each loss. 

If you just take the 4 games most of us see as the worst losses (Iona, Boise, SIUE, and UMass) he was even worse. 24% from 2 and 20% from 3. In those 4 losses he jacked up 31 3’s and made just 6.  

and you dont think those frustrating games were caused by anything other than jimerson sucking?   get real.  the other team keyed on him, and ford didnt adjust anything.   

and even if jimerson had a bad game or two, it only makes the fact that he is still the leading scorer and best shooting percentage on the team even more amazing.   just admit you blamed him for the fail of the season and let's move on.   

14 minutes ago, BILLS324 said:

I think this it for me. I have a love/hate relationship with Yuri. I know it isn't right but I am still bitter.

I guess Im one of the few that think Yuri did the right thing by exploring his options. He did just what he should have done, then he made a decision to stay. H made a decision to leave a school. Is that different because he left a different school and came here? 

stmdragons and ACE like this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

and you dont think those frustrating games were caused by anything other than jimerson sucking?   get real.  the other team keyed on him, and ford didnt adjust anything.   

and even if jimerson had a bad game or two, it only makes the fact that he is still the leading scorer and best shooting percentage on the team even more amazing.   just admit you blamed him for the fail of the season and let's move on.   

You really have issues. I never blamed the fall of the season on Jimerson, but I did say his shooting played a huge part. However, despite clear facts, you still make excuses for him and put the blame on Ford. He didn’t have a bad game or 2. Can you count? 

You do realize Jimerson isn’t from Belleville right? 

HoosierPal likes this

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I guess Im one of the few that think Yuri did the right thing by exploring his options. He did just what he should have done, then he made a decision to stay. H made a decision to leave a school. Is that different because he left a different school and came here? 

I said I know it isn't right. If I am being honest; in his position, I might have done the same. I also recognize his decision is playing into my feelings on his play and the constant focus on him from TV analyst. It might be my female brain.

slufanskip likes this

55 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You really have issues. I never blamed the fall of the season on Jimerson, but I did say his shooting played a huge part. However, despite clear facts, you still make excuses for him and put the blame on Ford. He didn’t have a bad game or 2. Can you count? 

You do realize Jimerson isn’t from Belleville right? 

jimerson is not my favorite billiken currently.   by inheritance, that belongs to young hughes who i so wish would get a fair shot.   if i had to pick a major player right now, i would pick perkins and it pains me to watch him struggle physically.  

i only defend jimerson because the shots he has taken from this board the last month are so unfair.   without him we probably have a few more losses than we already have.   

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i only defend jimerson because the shots he has taken from this board the last month are so unfair.   without him we probably have a few more losses than we already have.   

This is funny to me because a few weeks ago someone posted the exact opposite.(I forget who it was and what they said exactly) 

They were wondering why Jimerson gets a free pass and nobody ever calls him out. 
So in less than a month we have one poster saying Jimerson isn’t getting enough criticism and another saying the criticism he is getting isn’t fair.

Call me crazy but if one person is saying it’s to much and another is saying it’s not enough it’s probably just about right. 

slufanskip likes this

4 hours ago, 2010andBeyond said:

I agree. I actually said this a while back and was taken to task by a few here for such crazy talk. 

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

jimerson is not my favorite billiken currently.   by inheritance, that belongs to young hughes who i so wish would get a fair shot.   if i had to pick a major player right now, i would pick perkins and it pains me to watch him struggle physically.  

I’m with you on Perkins and I’d like to see Hughes get 7-8 minutes a game at pg and if a game is out of reach or easily under control maybe more. 

I believe there are a lot of factors in our losses. 

Ford assembled what has turned out to be a team that was overly reliant on 3 pt shooting and not enough inside presence.

Okoro has shot poorly as has Jim compared to what they have done in the past

Yuri’s shooting percentages are also bad. He should have developed a better 3 point shot by now. We keep hearing it’s better but the results don’t show it. 

Besides Fred none of our guard/wings that have gotten the most minutes can keep their man in front of them. We’ve been bad defensively. If you continually let guards/wings get in the lane, you’re constantly helping which then leaves you susceptible to the 3, which we have been all year. That’s fine, but then you had better shoot the ball well and we haven’t many times. In fact we’ve shot poorly in every loss.