GDT: La Salle; Why didn’t Han Solo enjoy his steak dinner?

SluSignGuy

38 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I was surprised that they didn't seem to have as many as in years past. I was expecting a Billiken from the 50s or something. Surely there's one still remaining from the Macaulay era.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford has commented a numer of times this year about the team lacking consistency. Here’s some numbers that back him up on that. This team is either very good or bad in the extreme.

For example, yesterday, in possessions 1-11, the Bills had 7 points on 3-10 shooting, 1-4 arc with 3 turnovers for a ppp of .64, way too low.

From possessions 12-28, 21 points on 10-15 shooting, 0-1 arc, 1-4 stripe, with 2 turnovers for a ppp of 1.24, excellent.

Possessions 29-41, 5 points on 1-16 shooting, 0-3 arc, 3-4 stripe with no turnovers for a ppp of .38, horrific.

Poss. 42-72, 51 pts. on 17-22 shooting, 6-8 arc, 11-16 stripe, with 4 turnovers. Ppp of 1.65, stellar.

The numbers show this team is either excellent or awful. How does Ford get the good Billikens to show up more often and for longer stretches?

NYBilliken and cgeldmacher like this

20 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Ford has commented a numer of times this year about the team lacking consistency. Here’s some numbers that back him up on that. This team is either very good or bad in the extreme.

For example, yesterday, in possessions 1-11, the Bills had 7 points on 3-10 shooting, 1-4 arc with 3 turnovers for a ppp of .64, way too low.

From possessions 12-28, 21 points on 10-15 shooting, 0-1 arc, 1-4 stripe, with 2 turnovers for a ppp of 1.24, excellent.

Possessions 29-41, 5 points on 1-16 shooting, 0-3 arc, 3-4 stripe with no turnovers for a ppp of .38, horrific.

Poss. 42-72, 51 pts. on 17-22 shooting, 6-8 arc, 11-16 stripe, with 4 turnovers. Ppp of 1.65, stellar.

The numbers show this team is either excellent or awful. How does Ford get the good Billikens to show up more often and for longer stretches?

Or it shows it’s just a game of runs.

13 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Shout out to the most recent celebrity Billiken fan: Oliver Marmol!!! Lunch with Chaifetz prior to the game and sat beside him courtside, cheering on the Bills.

For those of you not familiar with the name, he is the Cardinals manager.

Probably trying to talk Dr. Chaifetz into buying him a #1 starter.

Gremio14 and Littlebill like this

45 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

How does he get them to show up - that is why he is making the big bucks.  I agree with KMBilliken that the numbers you showed may just be a game of runs which is not unusual.  When I talk about consistency I am talking about coming out ready to play at both halves.  You should not be weathering storms at home if you want to be a Dance team consistently.  Too often we hear Ford say the guys are not playing together they are trying to be too individual.  Not sure what that even means because if he is doing his coaching job everybody should know what their role is.  When RM was here he would burn all of his timeouts if he had to to get them to get in sync.  RM would not allow the bad play to continue if he could intervene in some way.  When asked about burning all his timeouts for the game early he said if that didn't work then we were going to lose the game anyway so why wait.  If we as fans have to solve his problems then he has peter principled himself and we need to move on.  I am not saying we should fire him now but this issue has been a consistent problem with him every year.  Remember doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity according to Einstein or somebody like him.

Nitpicking.  Ford has righted the ship.  Bottom line are wins and we are currently doing that.  Time to give it a rest.  It may very well rear back up this Friday but let's remember, we haven't done well at Belk since Davidson entered the league.  Big test coming.

CenHudDude, Fraz and Westy03 like this

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

CBB is a game of runs more than any other sport.  You can chalk a good portion of this up to that 

39 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Nitpicking.  Ford has righted the ship.  Bottom line are wins and we are currently doing that.  Time to give it a rest.  It may very well rear back up this Friday but let's remember, we haven't done well at Belk since Davidson entered the league.  Big test coming.

If you are happy now then you are easy to please.  I am sorry but I can't accept such small steps especially when we have seen this many times before.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

How does he get them to show up - that is why he is making the big bucks.  I agree with KMBilliken that the numbers you showed may just be a game of runs which is not unusual.  When I talk about consistency I am talking about coming out ready to play at both halves.  You should not be weathering storms at home if you want to be a Dance team consistently.  Too often we hear Ford say the guys are not playing together they are trying to be too individual.  Not sure what that even means because if he is doing his coaching job everybody should know what their role is.  When RM was here he would burn all of his timeouts if he had to to get them to get in sync.  RM would not allow the bad play to continue if he could intervene in some way.  When asked about burning all his timeouts for the game early he said if that didn't work then we were going to lose the game anyway so why wait.  If we as fans have to solve his problems then he has peter principled himself and we need to move on.  I am not saying we should fire him now but this issue has been a consistent problem with him every year.  Remember doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity according to Einstein or somebody like him.

RM record at SLU 95-64 .579 percentage 

TF record at SLU 126-83 .603 percentage 

HenryB likes this

Speaking for myself, I stand by my statement that I have serious concerns with how ford has constructed rosters and coached these last 4-5 years.

glad we are winning now, but We haven’t played VCU or Dayton yet.

we haven’t beat Davidson in four years, although they are much weaker this year.

BC1764 likes this

15 hours ago, billikenbill said:

In.

Bill, I’m going to have to let u know on Tuesday. My Ford Bronco is under recall for a cracked fuel injector. I’m taking it to the dealer on Tuesday to see if mine is cracked. Problem is Ford hasn’t got the replacement injectors yet. If mine is cracked I’m not gonna make it. The service guy recommends no trips because it’s a fire hazard. Bottom line; I’ll let u know on Tuesday. 

billikenbill likes this

37 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

RM record at SLU 95-64 .579 percentage 

TF record at SLU 126-83 .603 percentage 

Yes but all those wins that Crews got were really RM wins.  He got us closest to a Sweet 16 game and got us in the top 10 for awhile.  To equate Ford and RM by simply looking at wins and losses is simplistic.

Schasz and Crewsorlose like this

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

“If we fans have to solve his problems” Is this a joke? 99.99% of fans including me couldn’t even begin to coach a D1 game. Do you actually believe you can point out a problem he doesn’t already know he exists? 

RM stated numerous times was he wanted players that had won and would do anything to win. He recruited players that were maybe a little under the radar and lacked elite athleticism, but made up for it by out working and out learning everyone else.

At this level a coach shouldn’t have to “motivate” players. If a player at SLU needs the coach to motivate him, we have the wrong player. 

Imo this is where Coach Ford has gone wrong. There are times when you can see us standing around or just letting a player out hustle them to a loose ball. We have too many players that don’t have that I’d rather die than lose mentality and NO coach can give it to a player. It comes from within. 

MBM’s keep talking about offenses and tactics believing that just because whatever is being done isn’t working, whatever you thought should have been done would have worked. You have no clue whether your idea would have worked but hey you keep spouting it on a message board. 

The majority of our losses this year have come from players not playing up to the level they have played in the past. Jim shooting considerably worse than the rest of his career, Okoro not making shots from 3 feet over and over are examples of 2 starters. That’s not on the coach, that’s on Jim and Okoro. You can look at the shooting percentages in most losses, it’s pretty clear why we lost. It’s also pretty clear that holding a player accountable doesn’t fit the agenda of many posters so except for stupid comments in game day threads it rarely happens. 

What is on the coach is assembling a team with no inside depth leaving us overly reliant on outside shooters who until lately haven’t done the job and too many guards that can’t contain their man on D.

We have what we thought would be our 2 best scorers who can’t contain their man defensively. This makes us overly susceptible to drives which requires we help more and then we get too deep to close out on 3 point shooters. We don’t have enough of an inside presence to stop those drives without cheating. The only guard including Yuri who had done a good job of containing their man was Fred and he’s out. Perkins, Pickett, and Jim don’t have good lateral quickness and they close out too slow. This is imo just bad roster construction. Yuri and TJ should be better than they have been.

Getting in the lane vs the Bills has just been far too easy and we haven’t shot well enough to overcome it until lately. 

Billikenbooster likes this

Just now, slufanskip said:

“If we fans have to solve his problems” Is this a joke? 99.99% of fans including me couldn’t even begin to coach a D1 game. Do you actually believe you can point out a problem he doesn’t already know he exists? 

RM stated numerous times was he wanted players that had won and would do anything to win. He recruited players that were maybe a little under the radar and lacked elite athleticism, but made up for it by out working and out learning everyone else.

At this level a coach shouldn’t have to “motivate” players. If a player at SLU needs the coach to motivate him, we have the wrong player. 

Imo this is where Coach Ford has gone wrong. There are times when you can see us standing around or just letting a player out hustle them to a loose ball. We have too many players that don’t have that I’d rather die than lose mentality and NO coach can give it to a player. It comes from within. 

MBM’s keep talking about offenses and tactics believing that just because whatever is being done isn’t working, whatever you thought should have been done would have worked. You have no clue whether your idea would have worked but hey you keep spouting it on a message board. 

The majority of our losses this year have come from players not playing up to the level they have played in the past. Jim shooting considerably worse than the rest of his career, Okoro not making shots from 3 feet over and over are examples of 2 starters. That’s not on the coach, that’s on Jim and Okoro. You can look at the shooting percentages in most losses, it’s pretty clear why we lost. It’s also pretty clear that holding a player accountable doesn’t fit the agenda of many posters so except for stupid comments in game day threads it rarely happens. 

What is on the coach is assembling a team with no inside depth leaving us overly reliant on outside shooters who until lately haven’t done the job and too many guards that can’t contain their man on D.

We have what we thought would be our 2 best scorers who can’t contain their man defensively. This makes us overly susceptible to drives which requires we help more and then we get too deep to close out on 3 point shooters. We don’t have enough of an inside presence to stop those drives without cheating. The only guard including Yuri who had done a good job of containing their man was Fred and he’s out. Perkins, Pickett, and Jim don’t have good lateral quickness and they close out too slow. This is imo just bad roster construction. Yuri and TJ should be better than they have been.

Getting in the lane vs the Bills has just been far too easy and we haven’t shot well enough to overcome it until lately. 

If you read my post I never even attempted to diagnose the problem in fact I said that is why he is getting the big bucks.  I do agree that if the coach does not recruit the right players then it is his fault if the team does not produce.  I have no problem with holding players accountable kind of like you have to dance with one you brought idea.  I early said that if benching a player who is not performing then you have to do it.

16 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I was surprised that they didn't seem to have as many as in years past. I was expecting a Billiken from the 50s or something. Surely there's one still remaining from the Macaulay era.

I don't think there is anyone left from the Macauley era.  Those players would be in their early to mid 90s now.  There are still some players from the 50s still alive but none that can make it to games.  I see some season tickets holders who played in the early and mid 60s much more often.  Those guys are all going on 80 years old.

17 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Yes but all those wins that Crews got were really RM wins.  He got us closest to a Sweet 16 game and got us in the top 10 for awhile.  To equate Ford and RM by simply looking at wins and losses is simplistic.

maybe simplistic, but some of ford's losses belonged to crews since that was the roster he inherited

slufanskip likes this

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If you read my post I never even attempted to diagnose the problem in fact I said that is why he is getting the big bucks.  I do agree that if the coach does not recruit the right players then it is his fault if the team does not produce.  I have no problem with holding players accountable kind of like you have to dance with one you brought idea.  I early said that if benching a player who is not performing then you have to do it.

What you said was if we fans have to diagnose his problems. Maybe I misunderstood your meaning but that too me says fans are diagnosing problems Ford wasn’t aware of. 

Hell, the problems aren’t really hard to diagnose, it’s how to fix it with our current roster. We need Jim, Perk, and now Parker to shoot the ball to their capabilities. We have to out score our defensive liabilities. I think Coach thought we would. Hell, he bet on it. I doubt he thought Jim would not just drop off shooting wise but literally fall off. I think he thought he could live with our inside game believing the 2nd half Okoro would be the one we’d have all year. I think he thought Oerkins would be back to the Perk of old sooner. So far all those 3 were misjudged. Honestly, I thought all the same things

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

What you said was if we fans have to diagnose his problems. Maybe I misunderstood your meaning but that too me says fans are diagnosing problems Ford wasn’t aware of. 

Hell, the problems aren’t really hard to diagnose, it’s how to fix it with our current roster. We need Jim, Perk, and now Parker to shoot the ball to their capabilities. We have to out score our defensive liabilities. I think Coach thought we would. Hell, he bet on it. I doubt he thought Jim would not just drop off shooting wise but literally fall off. I think he thought he could live with our inside game believing the 2nd half Okoro would be the one we’d have all year. I think he thought Oerkins would be back to the Perk of old sooner. So far all those 3 were misjudged. Honestly, I thought all the same things

the thatch and pickett injuries have also hurt the defense, hopefully pickett can get well with this rest