GDT: La Salle; Why didn’t Han Solo enjoy his steak dinner?

SluSignGuy

16 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

We are very fortunate the rise of Parker and Perkins has coincided with losing Fred Thatch for the year. Players needed to step up and have in a big way.

Parker has 33 points in his last 35 mins. of play. 

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say this much up front --- all I want is CONSISTENT calls from the referees.  Not saying we got homered or we benefitted from homering, I just want uniformity across both ends.  Gill absolutely hacked Jimerson on the breakaway.  Gibby should have dunked.  Then Gill mauled Okoro, twice.  Near the end, Gill missed badly, rebounded, missed again and then fell down.  That was a flop and Perkins didn't touch him.  Drame and Brantley and Brickus and Gill were grabbing everyone on our end.  Yuri got Okoro his fourth foul on the usual pick-n-roll and Forrester had his usual charge.  This was not one of Gibby's stellar defensive games but I've seen worse.  La Salle shoots about 33% from three so their 30% mark today was below that average.  Of their seven made, they made three in the first half, two in essentially garbage time so only two when the game was getting away from them.  Not too bad overall.

Okoro's double-double was man child-like.  Twenty boards with 11 on the offensive end.  Doucoure is not a big time D1 player and the L:ithuanian Jocius was weak.  Gill is a slasher and a driver so letting him hoist 12 shots all together was actually in our benefit.  Career game for Shephard but it didn't really hurt any.  Hargrove was great and I loved the four blocks.  Sincere is coming on.  This is about the time Perkins found his mojo in his first post-JUCO season.  A key point made in the broadcast was that Perkins and Parker are finding their groove at a key time -- post Thatch ACL tear.  Could have been a trap game coming off two road wins and Davidson looming but we weathered the storm.  Much like Loyola, La Salle's openign steam dissipated and we took over.  Dare I say the sign of a good team?  

First place tie with VCU as Dayton lost and we pivot towards Davidson.  Davidson goes to La Salle Tuesday this week while we are off.  Davison is 5 and 2 at Belk losing to Dayton and Richmond in conference there.  ESPNB listed our attendance at 7500 ---- 71% filled at Chaifetz.

I did see Bay Area and Adman in the posh seats behind Rammer and Earl for this one.

Major Majerus likes this

It is one thing to have to weather a storm on the road but at home you should be delivering the storm.  Not sure why we were on our heels to start both halves.  Something I have wondered about Ford for some time is does he really know how to prepare a team to come out strong?  If we had been playing a VCU or Dayton - yes I know they lost today - could we have weathered the storm today or in Chicago?  Were we just fortunate that both of these teams are not that good?  This is why I wonder about Ford being able to prepare a team consistently to come out strong at the beginning of a game or the start of the second half.  Also, the missed layups infection returned today - against a better team would that have doomed us?  I do think that Ford seemed to have heard the footsteps a couple of weeks ago and did something differently or else we would have found ourselves with a 500 record against these recent teams.  I am glad we won today but we can not just let the win cover up the warts that were there today.  Thank goodness Parker had a big game and Okoro decided to be the reincarnation of Bonner on the boards.

Given the last three games, I have come to the opinion we are doing what we have to do.  One of the Dayton guys told their announcers that every game they play seems to be the biggest rivalry game on that team's schedule.  I think ditto for us and especially with all the national pub Yuri is getting.  That alone incentivizes the opposition point guard to come in fired up.  I saw that today in Brickus, Brantly and Nickleberry.  I saw it with Erik Reynolds, Noah Fernandes, Roald Politte, Brendan Adams and Brandon Norris.  I expect it to happen with Loyer, Quisenberry, Malachi Smith, Baldwin, Freeman and the trio of guard Duquesne throws out there.  

I already feel the refs are not consistent in our games and if we need to accept that and understand we are being hunted, then coming out ready to play should not be an issue.  But it is.  I can remember many times Kevin Lisch postgame saying "we weren't ready to play."  I have never understood that but I'm not a D1 college basketball player.  

14 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

We will have a chance on Friday night to see if Coach Ford can prepare the team to come out strong at the beginning of the game or the beginning of the second half.  It should be a good test.  If he succeeds will you be a believer?

One game does not erase all the past.  I am looking for a long term improvement and honestly Ford has not done that yet.  Ask me after next year.

2 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Shout out to the most recent celebrity Billiken fan: Oliver Marmol!!! Lunch with Chaifetz prior to the game and sat beside him courtside, cheering on the Bills.

For those of you not familiar with the name, he is the Cardinals manager.

This has been and will always be my biggest slu experience improvement .  Need local “celebrities” sitting front row, or near front row every night.  Idc if it’s Brett hull or a AAA cardinals player in town for X-rays. We used to have blues players in all the time 5-6 years ago 

BC1764 likes this

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This has been and will always be my biggest slu experience improvement .  Need local “celebrities” sitting front row, or near front row every night.  Idc if it’s Brett hull or a AAA cardinals player in town for X-rays. We used to have blues players in all the time 5-6 years ago 

My favorite was a then 19 year old Robby Fabbri on the big screen drinking underage 😂😂

27 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Shout out to the most recent celebrity Billiken fan: Oliver Marmol!!! Lunch with Chaifetz prior to the game and sat beside him courtside, cheering on the Bills.

For those of you not familiar with the name, he is the Cardinals manager.

Wonder if he going to invest in the Pickle Ball team

28 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

My favorite was a then 19 year old Robby Fabbri on the big screen drinking underage 😂😂

Awesome, miss that dude. 

but really, I get Dr C maybe not wanting to give his tickets to just anyone in case they make a fool of themselves, but would love someone with a familiar face sitting in those seats when he’s not there. It’s a cool recruiting angle too, get a kid in house and point and say that’s a pro athlete sitting front row watching. 

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Awesome, miss that dude. 

but really, I get Dr C maybe not wanting to give his tickets to just anyone in case they make a fool of themselves, but would love someone with a familiar face sitting in those seats when he’s not there. It’s a cool recruiting angle too, get a kid in house and point and say that’s a pro athlete sitting front row watching. 

He was there apparently Marmol was his guest