The big men that got away

mrjoelabs

42 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I was watching Long Beach. Lassina was dominating 

16 and 16 for Mr. Traore on 8-10 shooting along with two blocks. When he was signed, Corey Tate said Lassina would be “The face of the program in two years.” Seems like he knew what he was talking about.

The big man that got away that we could really use is Andrew Carr.  Looked like he was transferring here until Wake jumped in at the last minute.  He would have completely changed the look of this team.  A 6’10 player that can stretch the floor and play 30 mpg would have been huge.

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The big man that got away that we could really use is Andrew Carr.  Looked like he was transferring here until Wake jumped in at the last minute.  He would have completely change the look of this team.  A 6’10 player that can stretch the floor and play 30 mpg would have been huge.

True. His development this year has been incredible. Reliable jumper, developing post moves, surprisingly athletic. Had three very impressive blocks against Clemson. After an off-season in the weight room, I expect he’ll be a candidate for an All-ACC team next year.

brianstl likes this

This is a ton of hindsight bias, no one was crying when Traore left after last year. He obviously made giant leaps this off-season, he was a liability on the court last year.

Jimmy Bell was a solid role player and if you look at his stats this year, is still a solid role player, nothing more.

Neither guy changes the trajectory of this years season for us.

NextYearBill and brianstl like this

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

16 and 16 for Mr. Traore on 8-10 shooting along with two blocks. When he was signed, Corey Tate said Lassina would be “The face of the program in two years.” Seems like he knew what he was talking about.

What Corey didn’t say at the time though was that he was talking about the Long Beach program.

Bills By 40 likes this

9 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Lassina is a double double machine for Long Beach and Jimmy bell is starting for huggy bear in the big 12. Meanwhile our bigs are thin 

makes you wonder 

Okay, I'll play along with the troll...

Makes me wonder how far the WVU program has fallen- 1-5 in conference now. Jimmy got recruited over by Linnsen and got out of shape. Also reportedly had academic problems. Kudos to him for going to juco and getting his act together. And kudos to Ford and staff for discovering a fairly obscure big who has made it into the Big 12.

Also, kudos to Ford and staff for discovering a relatively unkown big in Traore. He's found a good home for a below average team in the Big West. If he wanted a bigger role immediately - he made a good decision by leaving.

Players are constantly shuffling around in this era, so the likes of Bell and Traore leaving is not a big deal, and SLU has done just fine with the addition of Forrester.

51 minutes ago, gabriel said:

This is a ton of hindsight bias, no one was crying when Traore left after last year. He obviously made giant leaps this off-season, he was a liability on the court last year.

Jimmy Bell was a solid role player and if you look at his stats this year, is still a solid role player, nothing more.

Neither guy changes the trajectory of this years season for us.

Correct, nothing to see here. Keep in mind this thread was started by a well established troll.

gabriel and slufanskip like this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The big man that got away that we could really use is Andrew Carr.  Looked like he was transferring here until Wake jumped in at the last minute.  He would have completely changed the look of this team.  A 6’10 player that can stretch the floor and play 30 mpg would have been huge.

I was going to start a thread called a Tale of Three Bigs, but I never got around to it.  Yes, Carr would have been a difference maker. His Wake Forest teammate however has not - Davion Bradford. When he hit the portal last season I made a recruiting pitch to him on this board - ha! I don't recall any reports that there was mutual interest last spring, but I was speculating that there might be because there was when he was coming out of high school. My recruiting pitch was that he could come here and get 15-20 mpg for a season and then become a starter the following year after Okoro graduates. I was told by some that Bradford was too good to consider such a scenario. Ha! I was impressed with him his freshman year, but he has regressed every year since. He is now only averaging 10 mpg. I'm moving on now and  permanently putting him in the tool category. I'm confident Ford can land bigs who are better. Forrester is better and has been solid. But yes, landing Carr would have been a huge addition.

brianstl and billiken_roy like this

33 minutes ago, ACE said:

Okay, I'll play along with the troll...

Makes me wonder how far the WVU program has fallen- 1-5 in conference now. Jimmy got recruited over by Linnsen and got out of shape. Also reportedly had academic problems. Kudos to him for going to juco and getting his act together. And kudos to Ford and staff for discovering a fairly obscure big who has made it into the Big 12.

Also, kudos to Ford and staff for discovering a relatively unkown big in Traore. He's found a good home for a below average team in the Big West. If he wanted a bigger role immediately - he made a good decision by leaving.

Players are constantly shuffling around in this era, so the likes of Bell and Traore leaving is not a big deal, and SLU has done just fine with the addition of Forrester.

Watched a lot of WVU basketball this year.  Bell is "floor-bound and not very quick" and a liability for WVU.  But he is the best they have for the center position and as a result WVU is going nowhere. 

WVU is traditionally a top rung team in the Big 12 but are languishing at the bottom of the Big 12 this year.  Lack of an athletic big is their major problem IMO.  Jimmy is just the best they have this year.  WVU will try desperately to recruit over him and Jimmy will return to 10 minutes a game next season.

Jimmy's problems off the court were a little more than grades although he seemed like a great young man. He helped a good team as a frosh, a team better than the current Billikens, so obviously he'd help us now. 

Speaking of bigs, was at a 5th grade game at the Boys Club on N. Grand last night and saw a huge big who played for SLU in the 90s. Couldn't recall the name. Where are old rosters. 

57 minutes ago, ACE said:

I was going to start a thread called a Tale of Three Bigs, but I never got around to it.  Yes, Carr would have been a difference maker. His Wake Forest teammate however has not - Davion Bradford. When he hit the portal last season I made a recruiting pitch to him on this board - ha! I don't recall any reports that there was mutual interest last spring, but I was speculating that there might be because there was when he was coming out of high school. My recruiting pitch was that he could come here and get 15-20 mpg for a season and then become a starter the following year after Okoro graduates. I was told by some that Bradford was too good to consider such a scenario. Ha! I was impressed with him his freshman year, but he has regressed every year since. He is now only averaging 10 mpg. I'm moving on now and  permanently putting him in the tool category. I'm confident Ford can land bigs who are better. Forrester is better and has been solid. But yes, landing Carr would have been a huge addition.

Bradford dropped 40 lbs. in the off-season, but is still slow and unathletic. He’s beginning to make a little progress though and plays for a terrific coach in Steve Forbes so could reach the level of serviceable backup before his career is over.

In spite of his nightly moving screen and charge, I’d take Forrester over Bradford every day.

Melvin robinson?   left slu in the early 90's.   never really lived up to his potential.   had a cup of coffee in the nba if my memory serves me correctly

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

What about the kid who shunned us for Butler? . A FR whose name escapes me. Is Traore’s rise a lesson to be learned for getting MOMO some mpg? 

Turnbull - has played very little for a mediocre Butler team.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Turnbull - has played very little for a mediocre Butler team.

Butler has been wrecked with injuries and Turnbull's minutes are increasing as the Bulldogs need bodies. He scored 11 points in their last two games. His defense is what kept him on the bench, until now. 

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Melvin robinson?   left slu in the early 90's.   never really lived up to his potential.   had a cup of coffee in the nba if my memory serves me correctly

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Melvin-Robinson/Summary/3242

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said: